Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2017, 06:40 AM   #1
Joe0813
Registered Member

What to do with tank

So I'm joining the army and going to be leaving for basic in March. After basic and AIT I'll be at my duty station. I am married so my wife will be coming. That said I have a 6 foot 180 gallon tank. Is this something I should just sell and get smaller tank if I can?

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

A break from the hobby is in order until such time as you are settled in @ a permanent base. Then you can determine if you want to stage a comeback.
Thanks for your service Joe.

Unread 09/28/2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Joe0813
Registered Member

I figured as much ��

Unread 11/08/2017, 08:32 PM   #4
rocsec1
Registered Member

Yes you’ll have to take a break. My son had a tank going before he went off to basic and tech school. My wife and I were building our forever home so he had to take the tank down. Between breaking down my75and moving I couldn’t take care of his tank too.
I did 4years active duty and my wife did 10 years active and is about hit twenty with her reserve time and we’ve been able to have tank in base housing and when we finally settled down.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Bulldog39
Registered Member

If you visit Ft. Benning Ga I fix the guns thier so congrats and be safe many veterans support you and will make sure you stay safe. As far as aquarium yeah for a few years to start you will be crazy getting adjusted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bulldog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Joe0813
Registered Member

more than likely ill sell all the wet stuff and then put all the equipment into storage. I will probably be at benning for training. Don't know if ill be stationed there I really want to go to Germany

Unread 12/22/2017, 11:15 PM   #7
GumReefr
Registered Member.

Hey Joe, A break is indeed in order. As someone who had my tank in storage for a loooong time before we finally retired out, I've got a bit of advice. As always seems to be the case, it takes forever till you are able to re-setup the tank. Multiple PCS's and life and kids and all the other crap that accompanies life in the military generally prevents setting up a system. Just when you think you are settled enough to start up, you are dodging another monkey wrench. With that in mind, you might want to consider keeping only items that will withstand storage for the long term. Pumps and powerheads and controllers or anything with a power cord for that matter gets trashed in storage. Years of extreme temperatures and humidity changes wreak havoc. You are just better off selling those items now and purchasing new when you do finally start up. Recoup what you can now rather than chasing electrical gremlins, shorts and mild electrocution later. you will get better more efficient equipment that you will want anyways. Can you imagine the LEDs they might have when you start back up?!? Good luck with everything.

GumReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2017, 11:27 PM   #8
Daddi0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
more than likely ill sell all the wet stuff and then put all the equipment into storage. I will probably be at benning for training. Don't know if ill be stationed there I really want to go to Germany
Cool! My dad was in the US Army in Germany, met my mom in Danmark and I was born in the Army hospital in Landstuhl.
Good Luck! Mark

Unread 12/23/2017, 06:02 PM   #9
SchantysReef
Registered Member

When we left MA, heading to Ft. Lee, we drained the tanks...(55g, 56g, 2 3g Pico, and a 5) we thought we'd be able to setup tanks once we got to VA. Well, we got into housing very soon...that was great. But, everything else got in the way. We called the fish store who was going to ship our seahorses and other tank inhabitants to us to go ahead and sell. A few months later, we got a check for less than $100.
Needless to say we were pretty disgusted and really didn't feel like going through that pain again. That was in 2010. We bought a small farm in VA and decided to be farmers for retirement in 2015.
This year, we got the bug to get the tanks out of their crates and start them up. After washing everything, and testing...some of the equipment was either dry rot, melted together, or just beyond cleaning ability.
We setup and began the cycles on the 55g and two 3g Pico tanks. That's when the fever hit....first came the fluval chi for the betta. We figured we best get the 56g out and setup. When I pulled it from its shipping crate, we found......a crack. After the initial shock, we figured we would be able to use it for a sump or something.
That's when we saw a really nice deal for a 125, complete with fish and a ton of long hair algae. Could pass it up. Then the 27g tall was beckoning us for some ciclids. Then, that ever evasive fluval edge caught our eye....oh, and we can't forget about the sale on the 10g led tanks....gotta have one of those too.
Now...a drag tank....yeah, that's the ticket....luckily we didn't get that one yet....I think the house is going to implode with all the water weight it's retaining. Note to self...crawl under this 106 year old house and build supports for joists.
This long story short...retirement =8 tanks.

SchantysReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 11:37 AM   #10
Joe0813
Registered Member

Blah I'm definitely not looking forward to selling everything. We spent a TON of money on top of the line equipment that I know we will get maybe a quarter of the money back

Unread 12/24/2017, 11:43 AM   #11
Joe0813
Registered Member

I have some doubts about leaving. I have a steady job and during the winter I plow for the town and make really good money. Wife has a really good career as a ER nurse making almost 6 figures and we just bought a house. But I know if I don't enlist I will regret it for the rest of my life

Unread 12/26/2017, 04:37 AM   #12
GumReefr
Registered Member.

Quote:
I have some doubts about leaving. I have a steady job and during the winter I plow for the town and make really good money. Wife has a really good career as a ER nurse making almost 6 figures and we just bought a house. But I know if I don't enlist I will regret it for the rest of my life
Joe those are tough choices that you have to make. YOur wife can get a job at any US duty station or any mil hospital you may be stationed at. We get old quick and before you know it, you're too old to enlist. Regret is a bigger profanity removed.

Last edited by Misled; 12/30/2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: cleanup
Unread 12/27/2017, 05:05 PM   #13
Joe0813
Registered Member

Wish I could go back in time and do this a lot earlier

Unread 12/28/2017, 10:01 AM   #14
rvareef
In Memoriam

there are some great deals on here as well, just need to contribute 50 posts to see them, keep posting gumreefr and you will find the deals!

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2017, 04:44 PM   #15
Joe0813
Registered Member

We have for sale section... just need to have the 50 posts to see it

Unread 12/28/2017, 06:22 PM   #16
GumReefr
Registered Member.

Regardless, Joe. I sincerely hope that things work out for you in whatever decision or path you choose. Keep us posted and I know that I for one will be there to assist in any way I can.

Unread 12/30/2017, 01:53 PM   #17
Misled
RC Mod

Did a little cleanup here. Please keep things on topic and keep other forums to yourself.

Also, thanks all for your service.

SemperFi!!!!

Unread 12/31/2017, 08:41 PM   #18
Joe0813
Registered Member

Just hope I am making the right decision

Unread 01/03/2018, 09:44 PM   #19
GatorKev
Registered Member

The military can be a great thing. I have been in almost 23 years and don't regret it at all. Just remember that there is good and bad as with everything in life. As far as the tank goes it will depend on when your wife actually joins you and how much having a tank means to you. If she does not join you until your permanant duty station you can set your tank up then as you should be there for a little bit of time. I'm in the Navy so it is a bit different but I pretty much could have spent my entire career in basically one area (spent 17 years here in 2 different spurts anyways). So in the end it just depends on what you want to do and know that it may not be permanent or for a long time.... Maybe downsize a bit and go with a smaller or nano type tank to make it easier if you need to move. Good luck with your new venture!

GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 05:42 PM   #20
Joe0813
Registered Member

So cooonfused what to do... if I do choose to join I will lose a six figure job, a massive plow contract, a house, the tank gets broken down, my wife loses a six figure job and her new truck. Blaah

Unread 01/09/2018, 12:40 AM   #21
seamonkey2
Registered Member

pm sent

seamonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 12:49 PM   #22
Joe0813
Registered Member

just sent you a reply

Unread 01/13/2018, 09:19 AM   #23
Dmoody
Artillery Drill

It’s hard but i would say keep the house and the wife’s job and do 3 years as a geographical bachelor. It’s more common in the military than most people think. I’ve been in for 12 years and it’s been a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuvo 38: Radion GEN 3 w/ Reeflink, MP10w ES, Tunze 9004, Tunze 3152, InTank media basket, Eheim 2000+, Custom stand
Dmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 06:24 PM   #24
agruetz
Registered Member

Quote:
So cooonfused what to do... if I do choose to join I will lose a six figure job, a massive plow contract, a house, the tank gets broken down, my wife loses a six figure job and her new truck. Blaah
Do not be a dumb***. I am a former Marine grunt. Best and worst time of my life some how all rolled into one. However, if you have got that kind of civilian life going do not shoot yourself in the foot. I applaud you wanting to serve but do not throw a good thing away.

If you still want to serve go reserve. You can always convert to active, but be warned it is not the easy life of a 6 figure civilian job (speaking from experience). You will not regret that decision. You may spend some time away from your family but you still get to serve. It is your call but that would be my advice.