Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2018, 07:22 PM   #2901
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Caught a sale on the Kaomer last weekend & placed an order.
@Vinny Kreyling- where are they available?

"I'd rather die living than live to die"

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
AquamanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2018, 12:25 AM   #2902
networkcrasher
Registered Member

They're about $200 on aliexpress.com but not sure who sells them stateside.

networkcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2018, 12:35 AM   #2903
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodog View Post
Or does it go on the effluent end of my reactor and replaces the needle valve? How is the tank water drawn into the reactor? If possible, can someone post a picture showing how I the reactor.
It replaces the needle valve. You want to remove that.

It pulls water through the reactor. These pumps can create more pressure than the Orings on your reactor can handle. If you push through the reactor (you certainly can) if the reactor clogs it will overwhelm the orings and cause a leak. It pulls water through your reactor the same way you drink through a straw, the reactor is air tight except for the input and output, so as you create a vacuum, it pulls effluent through the reactor. The can pull water very long distances and are self priming. Please pull through the reactor unless leaks will be contained in the system, it will work

Also, you're welcome, and glad you are reading through it! This has been a fun thread . Let us know if you have any other questions!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2018, 06:14 AM   #2904
vitodog
Registered Member

Thank you tkeracer619. I do plan on pulling the water through, I'm just waiting for a few fitting/connectors until I can start her up. I'll keep the thread posted moving on.

Unread 05/12/2018, 07:56 AM   #2905
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

https://www.aliexpress.com

This is where I ordered mine

Unread 05/12/2018, 11:51 AM   #2906
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So I have been reading this thread for a few days now and i'm currently on page 40. I have to say that I am so thankful for this thread. I have learned so much from it. I purchased a Masterflex 7550-30 to work with my Geo 612 reactor. I know the peristaltic pump replaces the feeder pump, I just want to make sure I start this up correctly. Do I just place the input end of the pump in my sump and in this way it replaces the feeder pump? Or does it go on the effluent end of my reactor and replaces the needle valve? How is the tank water drawn into the reactor? If possible, can someone post a picture showing how I the reactor.
Take a look at this video series that I was involved in putting together a few years ago when I got my first Masterflex pump. This covers setting up a calcium reactor using a Masterflex pump on my system and explains everything in great detail. This link is to part 1 of a 5 part series that begins with discussing the advantages of the Masterflex method and ends with the final installation along with everything inbetween from installation to setup, testing and adjustments once it’s up and running.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 12:45 PM   #2907
vitodog
Registered Member

Thank you slief. The video is very helpful. I'm watching episode 5, right now.

Unread 05/14/2018, 03:11 PM   #2908
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
https://www.aliexpress.com

This is where I ordered mine
That company has terrible customer reviews. Many calling them a scam that doesn’t deliver. Scary.

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
Unread 05/14/2018, 03:15 PM   #2909
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Got a notice of delivery today by DHL.
Not here yet though.

Unread 05/14/2018, 03:17 PM   #2910
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
What he means is that if you pull, the pump is connected to the effluent side of the reactor. The intake line going into the calcium reactor remains submerged in the sump so that when pump is on, it pulls the water from the sump through the reactor and then into the pump at which point the pump pushes the water from the reactor it back to the sump.
I undearstand the push vs pull concept. Question- is the purpose of a second chamber in a calcium reactor not to “buffer” the effluent in a way? Is it not supposed to help increase ph of effluent? If yes then pulling defeats that chamber? Yes no maybe?

Unread 05/14/2018, 03:21 PM   #2911
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
Got a notice of delivery today by DHL.
Not here yet though.
Excellent. Let us know how it goes. I love my Kamoer. But. Came with bad instructions if you want to call them that. Then replacing tubing was a mission not because of pump but because I didn’t know what size. Had to beg Cole Palmer for samples so I could figure out. The tubing is not cheap, and your forced to buy 10’ which will last 10 years lol.

All that being said it’s a great little pump. 2-3 years for me now going strong. But I want a back up just in case.

Unread 05/14/2018, 04:25 PM   #2912
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Purpose of 2nd chamber is to eliminate any CO2 that may have passed through the 1st.

Pump just arrived!

Unread 05/14/2018, 04:44 PM   #2913
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquamanE View Post
I undearstand the push vs pull concept. Question- is the purpose of a second chamber in a calcium reactor not to “buffer” the effluent in a way? Is it not supposed to help increase ph of effluent? If yes then pulling defeats that chamber? Yes no maybe?
Pulling has no impact on the effectiveness of the 2nd reactor. Push or pull, the 2nd reactor doesn’t care since the pump is doing nothing more that moving water. The pump can go after the 2nd reactor or between the first and 2nd if pulling. It doesn’t make a difference in terms of performance. The 2nd reactor uses the excess Co2 as Vinny noted and as a result it can act as a buffer and raise the pH of the effluent a little bit. It’s also a great place to put Remag for increasing magnesium though I top my first reactor off with Remag and just use ARM fine in the 2nd reactor.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 05/15/2018, 12:37 AM   #2914
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquamanE View Post
That company has terrible customer reviews. Many calling them a scam that doesn’t deliver. Scary.
AliExpress is nothing more than an Asian eBay without the auction format. It’s all buy it now. That being said, you just need to be picky about who you buy through, just like eBay. There are some buyer protections in place too. I have never had a problem with it.

Unread 05/15/2018, 08:23 AM   #2915
vitodog
Registered Member

I hope this is not too off topic. I have had to refill my Co2 cylinder twice in the last 2 months. The first time, when I brought the cylinder to be refilled, I also brought my Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser and asked the gas people to check for any leaks at the connection. None were found. So, the regulator was removed from the cylinder and I went home. When I got home and connected the regulator to the cylinder, I could clearly hear the Co2 escaping at the connection. I remembered that when the gas people attached the regulator to the cylinder, I thought they tightened the connection too much. So I disconnected the regulator and replaced the metal seal (with the O ring)with a new one. No more leak. Now, 2 weeks later, my cylinder is empty again??? I will check for leaks again when I refill the cylinder but my question is this, Is there another area that I should be checking for a Co2 leak besides the regulator? And, I set my pressure gauge to 10 pounds (Geo's recommendation). Does where I set the pressure determine how fast I use up the Co2? As I read through this thread, I notice that most people set their pressure gauge much lower. I just recently viewed a video by slief and noticed that his gauge was set at around 3 pounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 05/15/2018, 08:34 AM   #2916
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I hope this is not too off topic. I have had to refill my Co2 cylinder twice in the last 2 months. The first time, when I brought the cylinder to be refilled, I also brought my Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser and asked the gas people to check for any leaks at the connection. None were found. So, the regulator was removed from the cylinder and I went home. When I got home and connected the regulator to the cylinder, I could clearly hear the Co2 escaping at the connection. I remembered that when the gas people attached the regulator to the cylinder, I thought they tightened the connection too much. So I disconnected the regulator and replaced the metal seal (with the O ring)with a new one. No more leak. Now, 2 weeks later, my cylinder is empty again??? I will check for leaks again when I refill the cylinder but my question is this, Is there another area that I should be checking for a Co2 leak besides the regulator? And, I set my pressure gauge to 10 pounds (Geo's recommendation). Does where I set the pressure determine how fast I use up the Co2? As I read through this thread, I notice that most people set their pressure gauge much lower. I just recently viewed a video by slief and noticed that his gauge was set at around 3 pounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FWIW.. If you are talking about the nylon seal between the regulator and the Co2 tank, I've been using the Aquarium Plants Perma Seal instead of the nylon seals and it's bar far one of the best seals I have ever used! The best part is that they are reusable.
https://www.aquariumplants.com/Perma...al-p/perm1.htm

Unread 05/15/2018, 08:36 AM   #2917
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Honestly you should just set your regulator at whatever works for your tank. I keep my dKh at 9.5 (have an Alkatronic) and do 50mL/min on the pump, 3lbs of co2 set to about 9 on the carbon doser. Works for me.

Unread 05/15/2018, 08:37 AM   #2918
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
FWIW.. If you are talking about the nylon seal between the regulator and the Co2 tank, I've been using the Aquarium Plants Perma Seal instead of the nylon seals and it's bar far one of the best seals I have ever used! The best part is that they are reusable.
https://www.aquariumplants.com/Perma...al-p/perm1.htm
I use the same seal and it works great. Just don’t overtighten it. It’ll snap!

Unread 05/15/2018, 09:29 AM   #2919
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I am using the Perma Seal. Is there some place else besides the seal area that I need to look at for a possible leak? And does where I set my pressure gauge determine how long my Co2 will last?

Unread 05/15/2018, 10:17 AM   #2920
networkcrasher
Registered Member

where you set it has nothing to do with how long it will last. Your tanks Alk consumption determines the longevity of the CO2 tank. If your tank needs a lot of alk, then it'll need to break down more coral in the reactor, thus more co2 usage.

Have you considering doing leak testing? All you need is some water, a spray bottle, and a few drops of dish soap. I'd keep the solution away from your tank water though, just to be safe.

Unread 05/15/2018, 05:54 PM   #2921
vitodog
Registered Member

I did a leak test on the regulator, no leaks detected.

Unread 05/15/2018, 06:00 PM   #2922
AquamanE
Registered Member

IMHO in 2 weeks? thats a lot of CO2 used. Dont know what, but something is not right. FWIW my regulator is set at 9 psi and a small tank last at least 6 months.

Unread 05/15/2018, 06:12 PM   #2923
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Then I'm guessing you're leaking gas downstream, either at the connection to the hose to the reactor or through the reactor itself. Just leak test as much as you can.

Have you set up your reactor feed pump to push or pull through the reactor?

Unread 05/16/2018, 07:26 AM   #2924
vitodog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkcrasher View Post
Then I'm guessing you're leaking gas downstream, either at the connection to the hose to the reactor or through the reactor itself. Just leak test as much as you can.

Have you set up your reactor feed pump to push or pull through the reactor?
Thanks everyone for your help. Right now my feed pump is pushing. I'm going to be setting up a Masterflex peristaltic pump (waiting for some parts) that will be pulling, at least for the start up, probably in the next few days.

Unread 05/16/2018, 07:28 AM   #2925
alemone
Registered Member

You have a leak. Get some good leak solution to test. The homemade solution can be hit-and-miss. I had the same problem.

alemone is offline   Reply With Quote