Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/22/2018, 03:39 PM   #1
BigT75
Registered Member

Carbon question

In the past few years of tanks I have had and still have I’ve owned 2 with sumps anyways I have been hearing a lot about using carbon . I myself have had successful saltwater tanks and not using carbon my questions is do I need it ? Should I be using it ? All the time ? If so what do you all recommend? I have a 135g with a trigger systems crystal 36 dual media cups 4” thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 05:16 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

There is a lot of talk now about "Carbon dosing" in recent years which is not the same as using activated/granular carbon (charcoal)...
Carbon dosing uses things like vinegar or vodka or biopellets that break down into food for bacteria causing the population to increase and causing a greater reduction of nitrates and phosphates.. Its a fantastic way to reduce excessive nutrient levels and can work quite quickly too

Carbon (activated carbon/charcoal) is a media intended to absorb toxins and other organic compounds as well as help reduce yellowing in water..
Some people that have soft/leather corals that can release toxins when stressed run carbon as a "just in case" to absorb those toxins.. Others do it for water clarity while others do it to remove/absorb organics..
Its not "needed" but can be beneficial however seeing results from carbon can be difficult as we can't easily test for organics and see how their levels are being reduced..
Its quite easy though to see how it works clear up yellow water..

Unread 06/22/2018, 05:20 PM   #3
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Check this out.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/aafeature1

HTH.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 06:09 PM   #4
lapin
Registered Member

Good Article.....
If you have not used GAC you might have sponges in your sump that are doing some of this work the natural way. I run it.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 06:14 PM   #5
BigT75
Registered Member

Thank you guys just wanna ask if I was to start using activated carbon media what set up would be ok on a budget can I add to the media cups in my sump ? These are the marine depot cups and if so what brand do you recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT75 is offline   Reply With Quote