Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2017, 01:40 PM   #1
jsdancer
Registered Member

XR30w pro gen 4 and SPS PHX14

I recently purchased 3 - XR30w pro gen 4.
My LFS which is a widely known store in the Orlando area recommended I use the SPS PHX14 from Echotech.

Here are my questions;
1. This Radion setup is for users who ran 250 wt MH's on their tanks like the Phoenix 14k. I ran Radiums. Is there a big difference between Radiums and Phoenix? I thought there was. If there is a difference what adjustments do I need to make to the SPS PHX14 coral lab configuration to match my 250 wt MH Radiums?

2. How long should I run the this program for?
3. XR30 pro users do any of you use your APEX to control the LED's?

Unread 05/19/2017, 01:56 PM   #2
fredro
Registered Member

For the investment you've already made, I would recommend grabbing a ReefLink and running the EcoSmartLive software to control the lights. I have an Apex and I really prefer the EcoSmartLive software and it seems like it allows you to do more and more easily. This is just my opinion and many will likely bash the ReefLink, although mine is 4 years old, has run in 3 different places I've lived in, on 2 different tanks, also controls my Vectra M1 and I've never had so much as an issue with it. Also, the EcoTech Coral Lab schedules that they made up are downloadable in the format that works with the EcoSmartLive software. Although I haven't seen it, there may very well be a schedule made for the Apex software, that is the same as the PHX14 schedule, like it was just converted to Apex format, that you could download, but the ones you download from EcoTech, will be in the format that only works with EcoSmartLive.Keep in mind, you could also just run the lights without the ReefLink and just plug them into your computer via USB cable, but the ReefLink can make things easier for the most part. Either way, I'd go with EcoSmartLive to control the lights. As far as the schedule and it's similarity to MH bulbs and spectrums, I cannot comment. The one thing I can tell you for a fact is that once you find the schedule you like and the appropriate intensity (start low and move up SLOWLY OVER TIME) set it and LEAVE IT ALONE. The best thing you can do for the corals is consistency. Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 80g Deep Blue RR
fredro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 03:19 PM   #3
jsdancer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredro View Post
For the investment you've already made, I would recommend grabbing a ReefLink and running the EcoSmartLive software to control the lights.
I have registered one xr30w G4 pro with EchoSmartLive and it was rather easy.

I have an Apex and I really prefer the EcoSmartLive software and it seems like it allows you to do more and more easily. This is just my opinion and many will likely bash the ReefLink, although mine is 4 years old, has run in 3 different places I've lived in, on 2 different tanks, also controls my Vectra M1 and I've never had so much as an issue with it.
I have not read enough about reef link to comment. My only thought was I did not want to add more gear. But honestly anything that allows our reef keeping easier is worth looking into.

Also, the EcoTech Coral Lab schedules that they made up are downloadable in the format that works with the EcoSmartLive software. Although I haven't seen it, there may very well be a schedule made for the Apex software, that is the same as the PHX14 schedule, like it was just converted to Apex format, that you could download, but the ones you download from EcoTech, will be in the format that only works with EcoSmartLive.
Hmmm another thought! I'll look into this as well.

Keep in mind, you could also just run the lights without the ReefLink and just plug them into your computer via USB cable, but the ReefLink can make things easier for the most part.
So you your saying that if I chose to run the lights without reeflink overtime I need to make a change I have to connect the device via USB. These won't update and changes wirelessly? If not then that is why you recommend the reeflink.

Either way, I'd go with EcoSmartLive to control the lights. As far as the schedule and it's similarity to MH bulbs and spectrums, I cannot comment. The one thing I can tell you for a fact is that once you find the schedule you like and the appropriate intensity (start low and move up SLOWLY OVER TIME) set it and LEAVE IT ALONE. The best thing you can do for the corals is consistency. Good luck!
Thanks for your advice!