Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2006, 02:09 PM   #76
krismist
Registered Member

great set up. i can't wait to see what it looks like when you finish. You are a jack of all trades

krismist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2006, 07:27 AM   #77
Beartooth Ranch
Registered Member

We have a very nice crop of sea monkies all living happily in the "Sea Monkey Flooded City". One might even argue that they are a salt water invertibrate...Not as much care required as real reef tank, but you do have to feed them, give them light, if the water all dries up, you have to put more water in (up to a year later, according to sea monkey experts) in order to bring them back to life. The biggest challange is keeping the cat from drinking all the water and marine life...

Beartooth Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2006, 09:32 AM   #78
mille239
Premium Member

Those sea monkeys can be a real hand full, I know.

Disclaimer:

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post, though a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Current Tank Info: 120 SPS reef in progress, 120 mixed reef, currently being completely rebuilt)
mille239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2006, 04:02 PM   #79
55Reef
Registered Member

Sweet setup!
I'm in the planning stages of a 120. You are definatly giving me some ideas.

Keep up the great work!

55Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2006, 09:15 AM   #80
mille239
Premium Member

UPDATE:

Well I finished the rest of the plumbing, and working out the leaks... nothing too serious thankfully and all is up and running, and no more leaks!

I then started work on my auto top-pff system, by cutting an access in the top of the reservoir with a jig-saw. I then installed the Kent float valve (which will be fed from my RO unit in the laundry room.

I then drilled an outlet port on top of the reservoir where water will be drawn out of a 1/4" hose by the peristalic aquamedic pump.

Eventually it will feed through a Kalk reactor into the sump, operated by a relay-dual float switch assembly I am currently building on the side, but for now it will simply feed RO water into the sump to maintain the levels.

Disclaimer:

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post, though a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Current Tank Info: 120 SPS reef in progress, 120 mixed reef, currently being completely rebuilt)
Unread 03/13/2006, 09:29 AM   #81
mille239
Premium Member

I then washed all the substrate out, and added it to the tank via 3"diameter pvc, to prevent a sand-storm... worked fairly well IMO)

The sump and bubble trap worked great, in I had no microbubble troubles with the blue line pump on full, pulling approx 1400 gph through the sump.

The Deltec started pulling crud out (gravel dust, pvc shavings, etc) right off the bat and I couldn't be happier with it.

BUT>>>>>>> Speaking of PVC shavings... one managed to find it's way up into my oceans motions, and jam the rotating drum!!! I noticed it when I heard this loud clicking every 10-15 seconds, and noticed the flow was not changing between the output heads...

So I took the motor off, and removed the drum (which was really jammed!) and saw the magnetic drum drive wheel was striped from the motor spinning within it.

I called up OM and they said they'd rush out a replacement Monday morning. In the mean time, I just re attached the cover to the OM without the drum inside so I could still maintain the Closed Loop circulation, the only difference is it's diverted to all 4 outputs temporarily instead of just two at a time. Ah well, no biggie.

Disclaimer:

Unread 03/13/2006, 09:38 AM   #82
mille239
Premium Member

Once all was well (with the exception of the OM magnet) I moved the live rock over from my other tank, meticulously removing any unwanted algae from each piece and using a 2-bucket dunk, shake/swish and rinse for each rock from salt water that was in the established 120 gallon. I couldn't believe the crud that came off these rocks, but am thankful to have the oppertunity now to clean them off.

Here they are in their new home...

sorry for the crappy pictures, I am still learning the art of aquarium photography.

So with the exception of adding some Chaeto algae and a little live rock rubble to the refugium tank (has been sitting in my laundry room in a 10 gallon tank with nothing but a 60 watt light bulb and an airstone since December when I tore down the 29 gallon) that is where I stand so far

Disclaimer:

Unread 03/13/2006, 09:41 AM   #83
reverendmaynard
Registered Member

Lookin' good!

Current Tank Info: 125 gal AGA, setup on 1/1/06; 29 gal seahorse tank, setup 10/21/06
reverendmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2006, 10:53 AM   #84
mille239
Premium Member

I forgot to mention, I am not married to the aquascaping as it stands, though I am quite impressed with the numerous caves, AMPLE room for fish to swim, an d tons of places for future coral placement...

Also, the rubble on the sand in the foreground are all Zoo frags which will be mounted once a suitable location has been selected, but for now they are just soaking up the rays of my new 250w suns.

Disclaimer:

Unread 03/13/2006, 11:36 AM   #85
friendtothefish
Registered Member

So how do you like the Megaflow overflows? I have heard that they are really loud? Whats your opinion? I am trying to decide if I should order my 120 with them or without?

By the way, Very nice setup!

friendtothefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2006, 11:46 AM   #86
mille239
Premium Member

I don't find them that loud at all (compared to any other overflow) Any overflow will get noisy as you apporach their max flow capacity. The megaflows are designed to handle 600 gph each, or 1200 total. I have mine running somewhere between 900-1000 total, (the rest of the pump output is diverted between the refugium and an excess flow loop back to the first compartment of the sump to allow the flow through the tank to be regulated.
With the durso pipes in place you have to be right over the overflows to hear any noise from them. The ones i have heard are loud are when people (myself included) have tried to max out the overflows. (from my own personal experience on my FOWLR 120, the megaflows can handle about 1500gph total, but like I said all that water is going to bring some noise, and is not necessary to run through the sump anyways. HTH!

Disclaimer:

Unread 03/13/2006, 02:41 PM   #87
MattToTheMax
Registered Member

very clean setup. i like it.

what's the fish in the pics?

thanks.

MattToTheMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2006, 03:22 PM   #88
mille239
Premium Member

Thank you very much! That's one of my two 'die-hard' chromis; I've had them for years, so I thought I would treat them to being the first guests into the new home.

Disclaimer:

Unread 03/13/2006, 03:42 PM   #89
MyMonkey
Persona Non Grata

Following along. Starting to like the 120 setups. Nice work here.

Current Tank Info: 20 Long.10 months to my 240 In wall with Fish Room.
MyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2006, 03:57 PM   #90
MattToTheMax
Registered Member

i thought it looked like a chromis, but then thought it looked to big.

when do the doors go on!

MattToTheMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2006, 08:27 AM   #91
mille239
Premium Member

Hopefully won't be too long before I can finish up the face/doors of the aquarium. (waiting for my tax return, I'm over budget on this project)

I still have to find a way to run the RO feed from the laundry room to the tank enclosure, so I can finish off the top-off system. right now I just have 35 feet of RO hose runningacross the hall, through the study and into the sump for top off. I can't run it up through the attic and back down, because of the possibiity of it freezing, I am thinking of possibly running it along the corner of the celing in the study, and concealing it with either crown molding (which I was going to do in that room anyways) or use that cord hiding conduit they sell for lamps and such.

Once that is accomplished, I can start looking for a kalk reactor, and lastly a calcium reactor, and the project will be done (yeah right... does that ever happen?)

Disclaimer:

Unread 03/15/2006, 01:32 PM   #92
mille239
Premium Member

I introduced the foxface and my two percula clowns from my other tank to the new set-up. after acclimation, they seemed right at home!

Disclaimer:

Unread 03/15/2006, 11:02 PM   #93
reefarchitect
Registered Member

Just read the entire thread, very impressive. I was wondering where you got that resevoir for the RO. It looks like it's made of HDPE which is very easy to work with (cut and drill). I could really use something like that in my setup, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and congratulations on a great setup thus far.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal mixed reef
reefarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2006, 09:52 PM   #94
Opiy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mille239
I think I found the perfect reservoir at lunch.. I found it @aquatic ecosystems...

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../4129/cid/1182

Should fit / work perfectly (but have to cut it out myself...

Reefarchitect that is what your were looking for. It was on page 2

I like what you ahve done so far ! I hope I can use some of your design in my new project. Good work

Opiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2006, 10:55 PM   #95
reefarchitect
Registered Member

Opiy,

Thanks. Thats what I get for reading a thread at midnight!

Current Tank Info: 180 Gal mixed reef
reefarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2006, 07:22 AM   #96
mille239
Premium Member

Just when things were going smoothly... the inevitable happens...
Murphy and hais darn laws!! hit me twice!

first, I was working on the auto top off system, behind the sump, when I felt it.. a drip! (murphy's first law: just when things are going smoothly something wrong will happen)

upon further research, I found the source: the right hand side closed loop bulk head, was leaking where the PVC connects to the bulkhead (it's a slip fit too.. I have never had a slip fit connection leak!!) Murphy's second law: if something goes wrong, it is in the most difficult place to access, requiring the biggest inconvenince to fix.

Well, I know what my Saturday will be spent doing: move all the rock/inhabitants to the sump/ FOWLR; drain the tank water into what ever temporary holding tanks I can find; (might just go out and buy a couple large trash cans) unhook the plumbing from the tank, pull it out and set it on saw horses; then replumb the closed loop feeds, let PVC cement set up a couple hours, then reverse the whole process. Sounds like a fun way to spend a Saturday, yes? well, I have heard since it was such a slow leak, that some type of patch would work, but I know that PVC shrinks and expands, so eventually the patch would fail, so I would rather fix it properly, while the tank has only been set up a few days.
Wish me luck all!

Reefarchitect: thanks for the compliments! I have nothing but good things to say about that reservoir; sure a little pricy, but strong, easy to customize, and just the size I needed.

Opiy: thanks for the kind words and helping Reefarchitect out with the link.

Disclaimer:

Unread 03/17/2006, 08:10 AM   #97
The Reefer91
Registered Member

HOLY CARP THAT'S ALOT OF VALVES!!!! cool setup, very impressive plumbing design too.i'm gonna feel guilty because my system will have like 1-2 ball valves and such. i know i'll be thinking" i need more control, more valves"

"Every day we fade little by little, 'till there's nothing left of us but the lies we've sown."

Current Tank Info: 20g L display: 2x65watt Coralife light, Octopus 150 needle wheel protein skimmer, 1 Koralia 2 and 2 powersweeps, and a DIY sump/fuge.....120G in the works!!!
The Reefer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2006, 08:15 AM   #98
gkarshens
Registered Member

This may sound terrible but the leak may go away on its own. If it is really slow, the salt creep will plug it. I had a very slow drip on a bulkhead in an impossible spot to get to. I put a cup under it and waited. 3 days later no more drip and it hasn't started again since.

It's about time!
gkarshens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2006, 09:04 AM   #99
mille239
Premium Member

Heya Gabriel, I've heard that too, and have my fingers crossed that it may plug itself. I don't know how long it's been leaking, the tank has been filled with salt water since Saturday, and I noticed the drip Wednesday evening. I will check again tonight, and tomorrow morning before I pull it all apart. I know I'ts going to be a PITA, but I think I'd feel better knowing I fixed it right, rather than have a salt plug that could come out sometime down the road once the reef is established. Thanks for the heads up!

Disclaimer:

Unread 03/17/2006, 06:19 PM   #100
ZOKU
Resident Ninja

Hopefully, you don't have to tear it all down. Nonetheless, very nice job on everything... I'm liking the size of the 120 gal. tanks more and more.

Check out my homepage to see my build!

Current Tank Info: 40B / Super Reef Octopus SRO2000INT / 35-gal. acrylic sump+refuge / 120W LED lighting / Water Blaster 3000 Return... IN PROGRESS!
ZOKU is offline   Reply With Quote