Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2012, 12:50 PM   #476
Honks69
Registered Member

I read through most of this thread and I was wondering if there is a definitive answer about which drivers to buy and which controller to get in order to dim this automatically for the sunrise/sunset effect.

I want to get the correct drivers on the first shot so i dont waste money but I am not sure which ones are going to work

Thanks

Honks69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 02:18 PM   #477
firefightered66
Registered Member

I am looking into a diy led for my 46 bf. 36"X18"deep. I have SPS and softies. I would have to have a manualy dimmable set up. Any suggestions? How many leds? Favorite colors? I'm mainly interested in getting good growth and color.

firefightered66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 03:56 PM   #478
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honks69 View Post
I read through most of this thread and I was wondering if there is a definitive answer about which drivers to buy and which controller to get in order to dim this automatically for the sunrise/sunset effect.

I want to get the correct drivers on the first shot so i dont waste money but I am not sure which ones are going to work

Thanks
For now, go with the meanwell drivers.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Cube
nemosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 03:59 PM   #479
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightered66 View Post
I am looking into a diy led for my 46 bf. 36"X18"deep. I have SPS and softies. I would have to have a manualy dimmable set up. Any suggestions? How many leds? Favorite colors? I'm mainly interested in getting good growth and color.
I think 36 leds should be perfect for your setup, 18 leds per heatsink
color choices is something you will have to decide on your own.
i like the 50/50 10k white and royal blue. you can add 2 uv to help make your corals pop.

Unread 03/02/2012, 07:17 PM   #480
firefightered66
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Nemo. Would you suggest the Cree or Aquastyle?

Unread 03/02/2012, 09:09 PM   #481
Silkyslim
Registered Member

How many LEDs would you recommend for a 75gal mixed reef?

Silkyslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2012, 12:01 AM   #482
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Nemo. Would you suggest the Cree or Aquastyle?
that really comes down to your wallet, cree is better, but aquastyle on a tank your size will get the job done and grow any coral, but how high you hang them and the optics you choose will also factor.

Unread 03/03/2012, 12:04 AM   #483
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkyslim View Post
How many LEDs would you recommend for a 75gal mixed reef?
honestly i think it depends on what you plan to keep, if you are keeping a fowler the 36 would mostlikely do.
lps and softie 48 leds
sps and intense light requiring sps i would go with 72.
18 per heatsink or 36 per.

if you go with channels, 18 per channel wil be great.

Unread 03/03/2012, 12:15 AM   #484
dread240
Registered Member

good news is that I'm back in MD at least. Ordered up some goodies to complete the test circuits. I'm hoping my meter will be back this week so I can finish it. Was due for calibration so had to send it back to fluke or it won't be accepted as test equipment on some of these jobs.

Also sat down with our training engineer (who has a strong background in microcontrollers as well too, far beyond anybody else I've ever spoken with) and nailed down the design concepts of a few other things. Gotta order 2 transformers this week, bridge rectifier and a few other components, but that should make a very low cost, low power VFD. Another thing I've wanted to do for awhile

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef tank
dread240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2012, 07:33 AM   #485
Silkyslim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosworld View Post
honestly i think it depends on what you plan to keep, if you are keeping a fowler the 36 would mostlikely do.
lps and softie 48 leds
sps and intense light requiring sps i would go with 72.
18 per heatsink or 36 per.

if you go with channels, 18 per channel wil be great.
Thanks for the input nemo. I have Lps/sps and a clam

Silkyslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2012, 09:37 AM   #486
firefightered66
Registered Member

What optic would you suggest. I will barrow a par meter when I decide to hang the light. And thank for the input Nemo.
Quote:
that really comes down to your wallet, cree is better, but aquastyle on a tank your size will get the job done and grow any coral, but how high you hang them and the optics you choose will also factor.

Unread 03/03/2012, 06:14 PM   #487
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
What optic would you suggest. I will barrow a par meter when I decide to hang the light. And thank for the input Nemo.
the standard 60's are a sure bet, or 60's on the outside and 40's on the inside if you start to hang high.

Unread 03/03/2012, 08:55 PM   #488
reefstricken
Registered Member

how intense are the reds?

based on some of the feedback here, I'm trying to plan a wider spectrum.

85 RB
25 10000k
20 6500k
15 4500k
10 Red
10 UV
10 Violet

130x18x20(t)

To start I'll be supplementing t5's if this isn't enough.

thoughts?

cheers

Last edited by reefstricken; 03/03/2012 at 09:07 PM.
reefstricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2012, 09:29 AM   #489
Phishguy
Registered Member

I remember seeing somewhere that they would solder and assemble for a fee. Does anyone know if that's true?

Phishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2012, 02:02 PM   #490
symon_say
Registered Member

Assembly is really easy, I build mine and I had no prior experience soldering.

ICH is overrated...

Current Tank Info: Designing a 200G
symon_say is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 08:37 PM   #491
firefightered66
Registered Member

All right Nemo I have pretty much decided on a 36 led kit. I am also considering building my own controller (Aduiro?). Which driver would you suggest so I can dime the leds dusk to dark. I am also going to put the leds on c channel. Any suggestions on spacing? I have a 46 bowfront.

Unread 03/06/2012, 09:31 AM   #492
Jamesjkl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread240 View Post
good news is that I'm back in MD at least. Ordered up some goodies to complete the test circuits. I'm hoping my meter will be back this week so I can finish it. Was due for calibration so had to send it back to fluke or it won't be accepted as test equipment on some of these jobs.

Also sat down with our training engineer (who has a strong background in microcontrollers as well too, far beyond anybody else I've ever spoken with) and nailed down the design concepts of a few other things. Gotta order 2 transformers this week, bridge rectifier and a few other components, but that should make a very low cost, low power VFD. Another thing I've wanted to do for awhile
I'm excited to here any news on this project it will be a help to the community and help improve my soldering skills or pitching skills

Is this going to control just one driver?What about blue and white is ther e enough pins on board to run multiple boards and do the other things you wan to do? VFD for cooling fan? How much power is going through the dimming circuit?

Jamesjkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 10:58 AM   #493
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
All right Nemo I have pretty much decided on a 36 led kit. I am also considering building my own controller (Aduiro?). Which driver would you suggest so I can dime the leds dusk to dark. I am also going to put the leds on c channel. Any suggestions on spacing? I have a 46 bowfront.
you are going to need the meanwell drivers for what you plan to do.

Unread 03/06/2012, 10:59 AM   #494
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishguy View Post
I remember seeing somewhere that they would solder and assemble for a fee. Does anyone know if that's true?
yes, they will assemble for $10 dollars extra, not sure if it's per fixture, mostlikely it is, not sure if the price went up or if it's the same, but $10 was the quote i got from ray, when i asked last year.

Unread 03/06/2012, 11:06 AM   #495
gbru316
Registered Member

Quote:
you are going to need the meanwell drivers for what you plan to do.
Theoretically you could use digital pots with the arduino to control the maxwellen drivers.

gbru316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 12:41 PM   #496
dread240
Registered Member

If you could theoretically find a digital pot with only 25 ohms resistance then yes.. I'll have the schematics for a resistor array through a 16 channel mux shortly

Unread 03/06/2012, 12:48 PM   #497
gbru316
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread240 View Post
If you could theoretically find a digital pot with only 25 ohms resistance then yes.. I'll have the schematics for a resistor array through a 16 channel mux shortly
I'm interested in the schematic once completed, I'm thinking of implementing maxwellens with arduino control myself.

gbru316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 01:24 PM   #498
dread240
Registered Member

I'm already working on it, even had the digital pots in place and programmed. Problem is there are no digital pots on the market that are anywhere near the resolution we need for the dimming circuit of the maxwellen driver.

The pots which ship with the drivers are 22ohm linear pots. At 22ohms resistance it's 36ma current, at 12ohms it's 58ma at 2 ohms it's 230ma. The majority of the current is done at 0-1.5 ohms, which takes it from 230ma out to 680ma, so you'll need a series of .1 ohm steps for a smooth transition.

If you go back in previous posts on this thread I went into more detail with resistance/current on these drivers.

Unread 03/06/2012, 02:59 PM   #499
Snausy
Registered Member

Quote:
I have now decided that i am going to replace their drivers with these:
I don't need dimming, but this will reduce the amount of drivers i have on my rig, meanwell LPF-90d-48 since i have 72 leds from these guys, i will only need two drivers vs 4, 3 strings of 12 per driver.

Anyone reading this thread and have a huge tank and are seriously thinking of these, keep in mind that if your tank is taller than 24 inches, you will need to keep the fixture close to the water surface and it would be better to keep the leds closer together to increase par. my original thought of 72 on my tank is just not enough, to cover the entire tank and get good par.

rather than keep adding more bridgelux, i went with some xpg cool white(6)
xpg NW (6) and xml cool white (6), so far i have no optics on the xml's and they are running at 1750 ma, the xp's are at 1000ma, i think i will add 10 more xml's and i'm done.

again this is only for larger reefs, regular systems, nano's, breeders, 100-120 gallon systems will be just fine. if i had to order only bridgelux on my tank, i would have gone with 2x120 led kits. i believe this would have done the job well.
Hey nemo thanks for the information. I have a 300g 31" deep tank and reading through this thread trying to figure out how they will work for me has been trying at times.

My tank is a FOWLR but I may add some corals in the future. Do you think 2x120 kits would be ok for me or is there more to it? Knowing what you know, what should I do to make my 8ft 31"h tank pop?

2 of these? http://www.aquastyleonline.com/produ...mable-Kit.html ...gg 700 bucks before heatsinks.

This is going to be expensive nomatter how I do it. 300g is 300g. *sigh*

Current Tank Info: 300gal FOWLR- Emperor Angel, Rainbow Wrasse, Green Bird Wrasse, Dogface Puffer, Niger Trigger, Flame Hawkfish, Matted Filefish 150 Turbosnails that only come out at night! :D
Snausy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 03:24 PM   #500
nemosworld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snausy View Post
Hey nemo thanks for the information. I have a 300g 31" deep tank and reading through this thread trying to figure out how they will work for me has been trying at times.

My tank is a FOWLR but I may add some corals in the future. Do you think 2x120 kits would be ok for me or is there more to it? Knowing what you know, what should I do to make my 8ft 31"h tank pop?

2 of these? http://www.aquastyleonline.com/produ...mable-Kit.html ...gg 700 bucks before heatsinks.

This is going to be expensive nomatter how I do it. 300g is 300g. *sigh*
to be honest with you, on a tank that big, i would use a mixture of xml warm white and cool whites and cree xte's for the royal blues.

if money is going to be a issue, then the 2x 120 kits would be the way to go, don't use channels, instead go with heatsinks, this way you can cluster the leds closer together and get better par out of them. also try to bix the inner rows of leds with 40 degree optics and then the outer with 60's. this is for the aquastyle setup. for a cree build, i think 60's would be good.

if you read back a couple of post, you will see that i started adding cree's to my build because my tank is so wide and deep. so to reduce the amount of leds and drivers i use, i went with cree's.

you do not want to have too many drivers on one circuit starting up at the same time, not sure how much load they can take, but from what i have read forward voltage is an issue when using too many drivers, you can overload the wires. the options are to run the leds in parallel or have them on timers, so not all of them turn on at the same time.

another option you can do is to get a 120 kit and then get 4 heatsinks from rapids site along with xml's and xte's to give you a high noon effect, then you can ramp them down or turn them off after a certain time.
so you would have cree's on heatsinks in the middle and aquastyle on the outsides via channels.

hope this helps.