Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2017, 04:27 AM   #51
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

Ok thanks.
I will stop Paraguard again although I was told to use it for 30 days... I don't know anymore. I will do a 50% WC and leave things for a week or so. I have Formalin and Sterazin on their way to me. If after the week flicking persists I will fresh water dip to check again for flukes. If none I will do Formalin (I hope I can treat the QT tank not just a dip) treatment. I don't have another sterile tank so I will treat the QT with Formalin. I guess it will kill the filter too though, what a pain.
Maybe I am being over sensitive about the flicking. As suggested here it could be something that further medication won't fix. If occasional flicking is the only symptom and the fish are eating well can they go back in the DT at the end of its fallow period?

180g (US) DT with 30g (US) sump. Softies and LPS. Red Fire Fish, Royal Gramma, 2x Ocellaris Clowns, 2 Spot Tang, 4x Green Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, One Spot Foxface, 2x Azure Damsels, Green Clown Gob

Last edited by Kaiser699a; 10/04/2017 at 04:44 AM.
Kaiser699a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 02:24 PM   #52
JustinM
Registered Member

Can you post a video of it?

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 08:03 AM   #53
Ngoodermuth
Registered Member

I would not treat with formalin in the QT, it's better as a bath/dip. One, it's a carcinogen so ideally you'd want to limit exposure as much as possible. Two, it will muck up your water quality pretty quickly.

If you do a freshwater dip and find that prazi-resistant flukes are to blame...you could go the route of hypo-salinity vs. formalin. All you need is 5 days at .009 to kill them, and a new sterile QT wouldn't be necessary.

Just make sure the drop and rise is gradual to prevent osmotic shock, especially the rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ngoodermuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:45 AM   #54
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

I have just completed 12 days of Sterazin treatment with a few water changes in between and I think it has sorted the problem. I am going to continue treating for another week or so to be sure. Fingers crossed.

180g (US) DT with 30g (US) sump. Softies and LPS. Red Fire Fish, Royal Gramma, 2x Ocellaris Clowns, 2 Spot Tang, 4x Green Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, One Spot Foxface, 2x Azure Damsels, Green Clown Gob
Unread 10/23/2017, 01:12 PM   #55
JustinM
Registered Member

Good news! I’m assuming this is a product from the UK as I’ve never heard of it here in the states. Hopefully this works, you’ve been dealing with this for a bit now.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 10:54 AM   #56
Kaiser699a
Registered Member

Thanks, yes it has been a while. I think I am paranoid about seeing flicking out of the corner of my eye. I suppose because it has been a while. Sterazin is a liquid gill and fluke treatment by Waterlife here in the UK.