Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2015, 02:22 PM   #1
triksrevival
Registered Member

PCS with fish and corals

I really enjoy my reef and the fish that occupy it, when it came time to PCS, from FT Lewis, WA to FT Jackson, SC I didn't want to get rid of some fish and corals. I had a 30 gallon stocked with LPS, SPS, and a bunch of fish. My wife called me crazy, but I moved my 2 clownfish, a torch coral, some SPS, cleaner shrimp, zoas, and live rock from coast to coast in a bucket. I used a 5 gallon bucket from home depot (screw on lid), small heater, and hydor nano powerhead to keep everything alive. Plugged everything into my power converter that plugs into my cigarette lighter and drove across country for a week. When we would stopped at night in a hotel, I would took them inside with me and fed them. This was back in August and everything is still alive in a 75 gallon. I just want to give some of you that have to PCS soon an idea what to do if you don't want to part with some fish. Wasn't hard and I would do it again. I did a bunch of searches on ideas to move and came up empty. What gave me the idea was; have you ever been to a store that has a bunch of overstocked aquariums with nothing but a heater and something to move the water around?

Last edited by triksrevival; 01/05/2015 at 02:31 PM.
triksrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 07:00 AM   #2
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing! Glad it worked and definitely sounds easy enoughb to try! How did you keep things from getting banged up in the bucket though?

70 gal w/ 15 gal sump. 1 flame wrasse, 2 a. occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinal, 1 midas blenny, assorted CUC, 1 brittle star.

Current Tank Info: 70g 20g sump. 1 Flame Wrasse, 2 A. Occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Midas Blenny
AirForceAquariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 11:17 AM   #3
Cubanpete
Registered Member

my thoughts exactly. I could see the corals I guess, but I would think the fish would get really stressed out. I am PCSing from Florida to Boston this summer and really don't want to get rid of my corals...

Cubanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 12:42 PM   #4
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanpete View Post
my thoughts exactly. I could see the corals I guess, but I would think the fish would get really stressed out. I am PCSing from Florida to Boston this summer and really don't want to get rid of my corals...
Are you coming to happy Hanscom?? I am stationed here now!

70 gal w/ 15 gal sump. 1 flame wrasse, 2 a. occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinal, 1 midas blenny, assorted CUC, 1 brittle star.

Current Tank Info: 70g 20g sump. 1 Flame Wrasse, 2 A. Occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Midas Blenny
AirForceAquariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 07:03 PM   #5
triksrevival
Registered Member

Things didn't move around much when I was on the road, majority was interstate driving. I kept a flat rock and kinda wedged and put corals around and on top of it. When things did get jostled around in there it was the top of the water mostly. The clownfish were happy the entire time, used a turkey baster to suck out poop in the hotel and changed water once.

triksrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2015, 10:49 AM   #6
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Thanks for the share! I should be PCSing in a few months, I'll have to try this out. I just hope my fish get along in a confined space

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote