Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2016, 05:05 PM   #26
bill120reef
Registered Member

I just fill them with superglue.. never see them again.

bill120reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2016, 11:15 AM   #27
skinsncanes
Registered Member

I had the small kind. You wouldn't have been able to find a thousand pin hold sized holes and fill them. I just wanted them out before I got all my sps frags because they were already irritating what I had

skinsncanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 10:02 AM   #28
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Vermetid Snail Removal

Most of the guys posting on your thread have zero experience with this species of vermetid snail.

You cannot eradicate them with reduced feeding or superglue.

Manual removal will not work. They will always come back to plague proportions.

I know because it happened to me.

The only thing that worked was tearing my whole tank down, sterilizing everything and starting over. If you want them gone for good, that's what you have to do.

Then moving forward, inspect, Bayer dip and QT EVERYTHING. Oh and obviously start with dead rock.

If you're unwilling to go that route, be prepared to manually remove them forever.

The problem with manual removal is you'll never get all of them. If you miss one, it'll reproduce. But even if you do get all of them, you can bet your butt there's larva crawling around somewhere. They'll show up soon enough. And as you know, they don't just live on rock. They live in the overflow, on pumps, sumps, heaters, skimmers, cables, everything.

EVERYTHING has to be sterilized.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 12:37 PM   #29
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
Most of the guys posting on your thread have zero experience with this species of vermetid snail.

You cannot eradicate them with reduced feeding or superglue.

Manual removal will not work. They will always come back to plague proportions.

I know because it happened to me.

The only thing that worked was tearing my whole tank down, sterilizing everything and starting over. If you want them gone for good, that's what you have to do.

Then moving forward, inspect, Bayer dip and QT EVERYTHING. Oh and obviously start with dead rock.

If you're unwilling to go that route, be prepared to manually remove them forever.

The problem with manual removal is you'll never get all of them. If you miss one, it'll reproduce. But even if you do get all of them, you can bet your butt there's larva crawling around somewhere. They'll show up soon enough. And as you know, they don't just live on rock. They live in the overflow, on pumps, sumps, heaters, skimmers, cables, everything.

EVERYTHING has to be sterilized.
There is some promising information on fenbendazole, an animal dewormer. Seems its an effective treatment for hydroids, but a great side effect of killing vermetid snails. There is a decent thread on it on another reefing site. I'm considering treatment, even though I only have a few, they are starting to reproduce faster.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2017, 12:23 PM   #30
rajilnaja
Registered Member

A dino outbreak seemed to of managed to kill all mine off. But I'd rather have the snails.

rajilnaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 10:16 AM   #31
jonwright
Registered Member

My population has gone down after having GHA grow a little more...if it ain't worms it's bugs.

jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 01:58 PM   #32
pisanoal
Registered Member

Google fenbendazole for killing hydroids. If you use it, you will have to take all snails and starfish out of your tank or risk then dying. Some worms may be affected too, and some gorgs and things like gsp, xenia will die. Fish are unaffected, shrimp are fine, zoas,lps, leathers, sps all fine. Looks like a really good option.

Unread 07/11/2017, 09:05 PM   #33
zoafarm
Registered Member

I used fenbendazole to kill off blue clove polyps in my tank a few months ago. The treatment killed blue clove, xenia, waving hand and a couple turbo snails. However, it had no effect on vermetid snails. I would personally not use fenbenazole if you trying to kill these snails.

zoafarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2017, 12:53 PM   #34
DarkSkyForever
Registered Member

I had a bunch of vermetid snails in my SPS tank and had just manually removed/glued shells where I saw them. I eventually added a blue spot puffer and it turns out he loves munching them when they pop up. My snails hide during the day, but I don't really mind that too much.

DarkSkyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2017, 12:06 PM   #35
JonCubb
Registered Member

I've resorted to just living with the stupid things, simply because I let them get to epic proportions before I realized they were even a pest long ago...Live and learn.

Anyways, if you do manual removal, make sure you go all the way to the rock when you remove them. When they feel threatened they retreat all the way to the bottom of their shell, and will rebuild the shell after you removed a portion of it. You could do the kalk paste trick, or super glue, but that would only be worth it to me if you have only a few to deal with. If you have as many as I do, you'll be at it for days, and even then your bound to miss one and have to do it all over again once they reproduce.

Best tip I can give other than that, is keep your tank clean. The more detritus in your tank, the more they have to eat. Essentially, starve them out by keeping your tank as clean as possible.

JonCubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 05:12 PM   #36
lvdimino
Registered Member

What is this?

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170731_203900.jpg (51.2 KB, 59 views)
lvdimino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 01:20 AM   #37
mike810
Registered Member

I had a plague on them in my 240 gallon tank. I added a melenarus wrasse and they started disappearing. One evening, I watch it snap a vermetid snail off the rock and munch on it.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:36 AM   #38
CindyK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
I had a plague on them in my 240 gallon tank. I added a melenarus wrasse and they started disappearing. One evening, I watch it snap a vermetid snail off the rock and munch on it.
Well I wish my melanarus would get busy! I tried supergluing them early on but there were always more.

I have tons of these stupid things in my tank, they came in a frag of zoas I bought at a swap. Any time the sand gets kicked up (which is usually only during my water changes) they cast their little spiderwebs everywhere, but otherwise they don't seem to bother my corals much.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed reef under construction, 32 gal Biocube softies
CindyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 08:54 AM   #39
Kayvon
Registered Member

I have seen my yellow coris wrasse eat these as well if anyone is looking for another species.

Kayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 09:08 AM   #40
pisanoal
Registered Member

Scouring the internet, I don't think I have seen any people confirm that any species eats these (reef safe). Some people say yellow coris, others say melanarus etc, but these seem to be isolated cases. Fish also may pick at the tubes, but not actually do any damage.

For those interested, I will start a new thread on some tests I will be doing with chemicals used to treat fully stocked sps display tanks for other ailments (ie. redbugs, flatworms, etc)

Unread 08/21/2017, 10:19 PM   #41
tlc
Registered Member

i started micro scrubbing my tank several months ago and i do believe it has halted there growth.

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 11:24 PM   #42
fifthtoe
Registered Member

I had a rock with hundreds of these snails on the underside of it. I re-scaped and placed the rock with the snails facing up. To my surprise, my urchin eventually made its way over to the rock and mowed down at least 70% of them. It's not purposely going after them; but will eat them if they're in it's path, tube and all.

fifthtoe is offline   Reply With Quote