Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/24/2006, 05:38 PM   #351
Safir
Registered Member

wazoo - are any of your tube corals turning white? mine were almot all that color to begin with, and about 30% are white now...

also, do you know what those orange polyps are? i've got some on the back-ish of one of my rocks and i've bene trying to figure it out.. at first i thought they ere a sponge, but then i saw them opened up one day.

Unread 04/24/2006, 05:59 PM   #352
joaquin1119
Registered Member

I really enjoy looking at those pictures guys..Dennis and Pat...nice tanks..

Unread 04/24/2006, 06:00 PM   #353
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Oh, I love the color of your tube corals!! Mine were all brown.

What lighting do you have?

I like the way the tank looks now. Looks like lots of those fuzzers are gone now.
Hi Pat, thanks--the lighting is the Current Nova Extreme--T5 HO 2X24w 10,000k Daylight and 2X24w Actinic--comes with white lunar moon light too. It's over a 20g tank.

What are *fuzzers*?

Wazoo (from Bethpage)

Unread 04/24/2006, 06:04 PM   #354
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Safir
wazoo - are any of your tube corals turning white? mine were almot all that color to begin with, and about 30% are white now...

also, do you know what those orange polyps are? i've got some on the back-ish of one of my rocks and i've bene trying to figure it out.. at first i thought they ere a sponge, but then i saw them opened up one day.
Yes--parts of my tube corals are turning white. It seemed to stop though. Looks like they were bleached. The orange polyps are the tube coral fully opened. They are an orange/brown and when they are fully open the tips are GREEN!

Unread 04/24/2006, 07:22 PM   #355
Safir
Registered Member

the polyps i have look exatly like that, bright orange, but have no tube on tehm - we have tons of dark red tube corals that open up their polyps probably 1/4" long though, like the pic i posted.

Unread 04/24/2006, 07:54 PM   #356
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

Where is your picture?

Unread 04/24/2006, 08:00 PM   #357
Grand Wazoo
Registered Member

Anyone know what these things are????

They look like baby stars.

I've never seen them in my tank before. Where did they come from?

Could they be the reason my toadstool won't open>

Darn blue legged crab just has to get in every picture.

Sorry for the poor quality--lousy camera.

Unread 04/24/2006, 08:35 PM   #358
Safir
Registered Member

some of my red tube corals open wide

yes, those are little stars - i have htem ALL OVER in my rocks - at first we only saw a few legs sticking otu of the rocks here and there, but now ther eare probably 10-20 of them and some are getting to be a few inches across.

I can't get a good pic of a blue leg if i try, and you try not to and you get some - that figures.

Unread 04/24/2006, 08:54 PM   #359
patsan
Premium Member

Wazoo...those are baby stars. You'll have tons of them in the tank. Many of mine never seem to come out of the cracks and crevices of the rocks fully....I usually only see little tips of their arms.

Fuzzers are all the macro algae all over the rock. I don't know the technical name of what it all is....it looks like fuzzy stuff, so I just call them fuzzers. It seems like all the "new" TBS rock has that. Most of us that have the old TBS didn't have all that stuff on our rock when we got it.
I'll have to find some old pictures of when I first got mine. It looks so different from what all the new rock is like.
I know it was posted in our original thread titled, "Name that thing (or stuff) on my TBS" I can't even remember what the name of the thread was.

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 04/24/2006, 08:55 PM   #360
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joaquin1119
I really enjoy looking at those pictures guys..Dennis and Pat...nice tanks..
Thank you!

Unread 04/24/2006, 09:07 PM   #361
patsan
Premium Member

I found the thread.
Name that thing on my TBS Rock

The first few pictures of the rock itself looks like it has fuzzers, but that's just the silt that was on the rock. There was no macro algae on it at all.
Wow, I have to go back and look at those pictures in that thread.
I can see how my picture taking skills have improved. My kids took the first few pictures in that thread, so that's why they're blurry.

Unread 04/24/2006, 09:09 PM   #362
patsan
Premium Member

Actually, I like these better:
Better Pictures

Unread 04/25/2006, 04:28 AM   #363
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Hey Now all,

I just put an e-mail through last nite for the 20 gallon size package! I am waiting to hear back from them to confirm the order. The package will be going into a 40breeder tank 36x18x16 that already has about a half inch sand bed and some existing gulf rock.
I am super pumped and will post pictures once the first shipment arrives! I hope it doesn't take too long! This tank will be strictly a gulf biotope and I am hoping to showcase colorful sponges, bivalves etc...
I'll give an update soon!

I have gone back and have taken note of the tips on preparing to introduce the TBS! This thread is incredible! Thanks all!

take care,
Jared

Current Tank Info: 58 oceanic dsb/t5 4bulb teklight/vortech mp20/aquac ev180/aquac custom sump
Unread 04/25/2006, 04:41 AM   #364
patsan
Premium Member

Jared,
Sally (lossman) has a 150g TBS tank that is strickly Atlantic biotype. I believe there has only been 1 or 2 slight mistakes added to it.
Hope you're able to get your order soon. We'd love to see pictures when you do.

Unread 04/25/2006, 06:44 AM   #365
bobt2
Registered Member

looking at the new pics, i want to order another package! would that be a world record? 4tbs tanks!

Unread 04/25/2006, 06:56 AM   #366
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
looking at the new pics, i want to order another package! would that be a world record? 4tbs tanks!
Richard???

Unread 04/25/2006, 07:16 AM   #367
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Thanks Pat!

I will do a search on lossman and see if I can find some pics. I am so excited!

Bobt2-

so you have three TBS tanks going now? nice!

Current Tank Info: 58 oceanic dsb/t5 4bulb teklight/vortech mp20/aquac ev180/aquac custom sump
Unread 04/25/2006, 10:54 AM   #368
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaredt
Thanks Pat!

I will do a search on lossman and see if I can find some pics. I am so excited!

Bobt2-

so you have three TBS tanks going now? nice!
Sally posts here, but she doesn't post a lot of pictures.
THAT will all change in a few weeks. I'm going to FL and will be paying her a visit and taking TONS of pictures of her tank....so there will be no excuse!

Unread 04/25/2006, 11:51 AM   #369
bobt2
Registered Member

yea! started with a 33long tbs, liked it so much i started a 75 and then i converted my 55 fo tank to fowlr with tbs and now i'm adding softys to that tank as well! it's a wonder i didn't get hooked on drugs when i was young, like i do with my hobbies.

Unread 04/25/2006, 01:57 PM   #370
beachroadbum
Premium Member

hey now bobt,

You are not alone my friend! This hobby can lead to some serious addiction! I have two reefs set up now(pacific rock) The problem is...the TBS bug has always been with me from the start, and I have finally decided to just slap it on a credit card and go for it! We live in a two bedroom apartment. Both reefs are in our living room and I will be putting the TBS reef in the second guest bedroom.
Its a bit easier for me to try to keep this reef a strict atlantic gulf biotope because I have two other reefs to play with.

Hey I have a question for you all...

regarding the red tube corals that come on the rock...do you need intense lighting to keep them alive? I plan on having a 95watt daylight vho bulb over my 40breeder with a 96watt actinic pc. I hope that is enough to keep these corals alive.

Oh and great news! Richard e-mailed me back and is callin gme thurs or Friday! When he calls does that usually mean he ships that same day he calls?

take care,
Jared

Unread 04/25/2006, 02:15 PM   #371
drk70
Premium Member

Not that this is any help but the majority of my tube corals are still alive but I have a 6-light T-5 set-up. Right now I run 3-11k and 3-blue plus bulbs. I think they are 39w a piece.

He will tell you the shipping day and make sure it is OK but his call means he has the rock to ship out right away.

More power to you to get away with 3 tanks in a two bedroom apartment. I'm just trying to justify a 200g tank in my basement.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 04/25/2006, 04:10 PM   #372
Safir
Registered Member

mine mostly survived under 175W MH - again not much help answering your questions.

some of mine are turning white, but ther ei sno rhyme or reason to it.. some are completely in the shade and keeping their color, some are right on top of the pile and keeping their color, some in the middle are turning white....

Unread 04/25/2006, 04:13 PM   #373
patsan
Premium Member

I use the same lighting as Dennis, and most of mine have died.

Unread 04/25/2006, 04:16 PM   #374
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Safir
mine mostly survived under 175W MH - again not much help answering your questions.

some of mine are turning white, but ther ei sno rhyme or reason to it.. some are completely in the shade and keeping their color, some are right on top of the pile and keeping their color, some in the middle are turning white....
Mine are also under 175MH. Some have died in bright light, some are dying in bright light. Same for shaded areas.

Mine really like to eat cyclopleeze (frozen) and baby brine shrimp (frozen).

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 04/25/2006, 06:14 PM   #375
beachroadbum
Premium Member

hey now,

Thanks for replies on the red tube corals! They are indeed beautiful corals.

You guys think I am pushing it having three reefs in a 2 bedroom apartment? hehee a 50 a 44 pentagon, and the 40breeder.

take care,
Jared

Closed Thread