Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2011, 12:38 AM   #51
Booeenie
Registered Member

WOW!!! Just wow... That was a great read, and the pictures were phenomenal. You deserve TOTM!!! A nice look at what many may hope to achieve.

Booeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2011, 05:03 PM   #52
overklok
Registered Member

Copps,

I was wondering if you use GAC in your system?

Beautiful reefs

overklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2011, 07:30 PM   #53
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkiter View Post
i would say that fish poop is liquid and not solid with feed frozen for fish...than it can food coral...
while fish poop is not liquid with dry feed...than it can't food coral
is it a nonsense?
Can you rephrase this question? Not sure what you're asking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by overklok View Post
Copps,

I was wondering if you use GAC in your system?

Beautiful reefs
I do use carbon, and forgot to mention it in the article... my apologies!

Copps

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2011, 08:38 AM   #54
reefkiter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkiter
i would say that fish poop is liquid and not solid with feed frozen for fish...than it can food coral...
is it a nonsense?

I apoligise for the answer…I try to make it again
Do you think liquid poop (than frozen feed for fish) is better than not liquid poop (than means granulate food for fish) to food corals?
Do you dose zeolithe or bacteria?
Thanks

reefkiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2011, 11:47 PM   #55
AgentSPS
Registered Member

Absolutely Insane!

John-

Really at a loss for words. Your tank is simply breathtaking! Knowing pictures never do justice, I can't even start to imagine how your tank looks in person. All your fish and specimens look so healthy! Quite a collection of prized gems you have there too. Given all the devastation the clam disease has done to captive clams, I am amazed to see you have such a large and healthy maxima!! hats off to you my friend.

Keep up the good work.

AgentSPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2011, 12:43 AM   #56
coolname1
Registered Member.

Congrats. One of the nicest looking tank out there.

coolname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2011, 02:48 PM   #57
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkiter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkiter
is it a nonsense?

I apoligise for the answer…I try to make it again
Do you think liquid poop (than frozen feed for fish) is better than not liquid poop (than means granulate food for fish) to food corals?
Do you dose zeolithe or bacteria?
Thanks
In all honesty by "fish poop" I simply met it to mean the fish poop is an indirect source of organic phosphate that sps need... I do not worry about coral food... and I do not use zeolithe or bacteria. I never criticize any methodology in our hobby that works, but I will say that many sps hobbyists move to a lot of these new methodologies for a quick fix, not realizing that the reasons they have not had success with sps are due to either improper system design or husbandry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentSPS View Post
John-

Really at a loss for words. Your tank is simply breathtaking! Knowing pictures never do justice, I can't even start to imagine how your tank looks in person. All your fish and specimens look so healthy! Quite a collection of prized gems you have there too. Given all the devastation the clam disease has done to captive clams, I am amazed to see you have such a large and healthy maxima!! hats off to you my friend.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks buddy... are you referring to my large blue squamosa?

Copps

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
Unread 01/20/2011, 05:22 PM   #58
Tracey2
Registered Member

WOW, I love your tanks, absolutely stunning colours both fish and coral.

Can I ask why you switched from IO to Reef Crystals? Does the kh in the 50g/wk water change match your system, does it change it all? I have a large torch with many heads but loose a head every time the kh changes even a little, any suggestions?

When you say you only feed frozen foods does that mean you don't feed nori or any typr of algae?

Thank you for sharing you beautiful tanks and congrats on TOTM.

Tracey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 11:21 AM   #59
Scej12
Registered Member

Congratulations John!

Very well written article and very very inspirational. Thanks for contributing soo much to the hobby for us young up-and-comers to benefit from and perhaps continue in your legacy of great husbandry.

Amazing Stuff!!!

Sheldon

Scej12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 11:26 AM   #60
IDrawFish
Registered Member

Absolutely gorgeous... Loving the 60 and 70 on the side as well, great write up and beautiful photography

IDrawFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2011, 07:53 PM   #61
paulthomas
Premium Member

BEAUTIFUL setup you got there, John. Beautiful... I'm in awe.

PM coming.

paulthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2011, 09:09 AM   #62
uhuru
Registered Member

I truly enjoyed reading this one, thanks and congrats!

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2011, 10:40 AM   #63
keon
Registered Member

john, i've been an avid fan of yours for years. i remember when i bought some frags from you like 5 years ago you even called to make sure everything arrived in good shape.

the fish and corals in your system's are amazing and inspiring!

a couple questions...how long is your photoperiod in your sps tank and do you ever have to deal with red cyano?

keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2011, 08:55 PM   #64
MDKIDREEFER
Registered Member

John,

Congratulations! Your tank leaves me at a loss for all but one word, astounding. It was a pleasure meeting you today at the WAMAS meeting, and the frags I bought from you are already looking great it my own tank. The way that you share your knowledge with the community and the way that you answered all the questions I had and gave me the "student discount" really is an example of what this hobby is all about. Your tank is incredible! Amazing work!

- Max

MDKIDREEFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2011, 09:50 PM   #65
dave willmore
Registered Member

John,

I also enjoyed meeting you at the WAMAS meeting and thanks for sharing angel stories even when in the midst of your corals. Your emphasis on quarantine and a healthy environment for long lived fish is inspiring. My new tank won't be ready for frags for many months, but when it is I'd like to buy a bunch from you as thanks to what you give to this hobby. Your angelfish knowledge is amazing and you set the bar for other angelfish keepers to meet.

dave willmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2011, 03:10 PM   #66
copps
Premium Member

Again, thank you everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey2 View Post
WOW, I love your tanks, absolutely stunning colours both fish and coral.

Can I ask why you switched from IO to Reef Crystals? Does the kh in the 50g/wk water change match your system, does it change it all? I have a large torch with many heads but loose a head every time the kh changes even a little, any suggestions?

When you say you only feed frozen foods does that mean you don't feed nori or any typr of algae?

Thank you for sharing you beautiful tanks and congrats on TOTM.
Thanks... the reason I switched from IO to Reef Crystals is rather simple... both are good (essentially the same) salts... in the past I couldn't get RC in the 200 gallon box and now I can for just about $8 more than a box of IO. I'm willing to pay the extra $2 a week for RC as it puts a bit less of a load on my reactor... I still buy IO for some of my other systems, and would have no problem using it again on my reef if I had to. My 50 gallon water changes are just about 10% on my system, and the small difference in IO and RC in dkH is insignificant when that is factored in.

In regards to your torch, what sort of changes in your alkalinity are you experiencing? I cannot imagine that being an issue with a torch, and something else may be going on...

I do not feed nori or any other type of algae sheets, as they are just not needed. Between grazing in the tanks and my two feedings a day things stay healthy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keon View Post
john, i've been an avid fan of yours for years. i remember when i bought some frags from you like 5 years ago you even called to make sure everything arrived in good shape.

the fish and corals in your system's are amazing and inspiring!

a couple questions...how long is your photoperiod in your sps tank and do you ever have to deal with red cyano?
Thank you... my actinics I run for 13 hours (three bulbs from 11 am to 11 pm and two bulbs from 1 pm to 1 am) and my halides I run for seven hours (2 pm to 5 pm and 6 pm to 10 pm)... No issues with cyano...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDKIDREEFER View Post
John,

Congratulations! Your tank leaves me at a loss for all but one word, astounding. It was a pleasure meeting you today at the WAMAS meeting, and the frags I bought from you are already looking great it my own tank. The way that you share your knowledge with the community and the way that you answered all the questions I had and gave me the "student discount" really is an example of what this hobby is all about. Your tank is incredible! Amazing work!

- Max
Thanks Max! I've only brought frags to our local WAMAS meeting a few times, but one thing I always do is hook up students. I'm just 15 years removed from high school myself, and I see so much of myself in a lot of you young guys... I still have vivid memories of working at a LFS for near minimum wage and I know that dollars mean so much when in high school, so I try to give back to you guys where I can. There is one prerequisite though... in 15 years when you are in my shoes you too need to cut a break to kids like yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave willmore View Post
John,

I also enjoyed meeting you at the WAMAS meeting and thanks for sharing angel stories even when in the midst of your corals. Your emphasis on quarantine and a healthy environment for long lived fish is inspiring. My new tank won't be ready for frags for many months, but when it is I'd like to buy a bunch from you as thanks to what you give to this hobby. Your angelfish knowledge is amazing and you set the bar for other angelfish keepers to meet.
Hey Dave, thanks again. True hardcore fishheads are actually rare in the US here... there are many hardcore reef people but most look at fish more as an accessory... when us hardcore fishheads... especially angelfish nerds, meet up with someone with the same passion it's a joy to share our experiences, because as I've said before God knows my wife does not want to hear it!

Copps

Unread 01/27/2011, 03:59 PM   #67
Laddy
Registered Member

John,

I don't remember seeing a kalk reactor on your system write-up, however, I think I remember in the past you used one on your '04 TOTM (link is currently down on that page) If I've overlooked it, disregard, if not can you comment on why you stopped, and maybe give your thoughts on moving away from their use.

Thanks, james.

Hobbies: I enjoy moving water from point A, to point B, back to point A

WANTED: True ATL Appleberry Palawanensis Frag, PM me.

Current Tank Info: Current Build: 180 Reef; 55 holding tank
Laddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2011, 05:14 PM   #68
jc-reef
Registered Member

Just found out about your upcoming talk you will be giving at our club in S.Fla (FMAS)...I think next month?.....very much looking forward to meeting you and excited to learn a few tips on your success!! Again congrats!!

Current Tank Info: 300gal DD upgraded from 90 gal Mixed Reef Powered by T5 / LED
jc-reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2011, 03:32 PM   #69
Tracey2
Registered Member

In regards to your torch, what sort of changes in your alkalinity are you experiencing? I cannot imagine that being an issue with a torch, and something else may be going on...

I do not feed nori or any other type of algae sheets, as they are just not needed. Between grazing in the tanks and my two feedings a day things stay healthy...

Thankyou for your response. I am trying to tweak new dosing pumps and my kh has dropped from 8 to 6.5 and my torch has lost 3 heads. I have a frogspawn, hammer, other lps and sps that seem very happy so I don't know why this is happening, I have had the torch for over a year but only 3 heads out of 10-15 fully extend, I have moved it many times and left it alone for long periods, I have tried to feed it but it does not seem to eat, it seems worse if I let my mag or kh drop. Maybe I should be sending this by pm, thanks for sharing your expertise.

I would love to know exactly what you feed twice a day, is this already posted somewhere?

Tracey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2011, 06:08 PM   #70
gmatt
Registered Member

BAM! You got it! We all try. You succeed. Truly stunning!

One question I too believe in frequent change of filter socks. What is your cleaning routine for the socks?

Again, thanks for sharing just amazing!

"Every day passes whether you participate or not. "

Current Tank Info: 120 gal, 48x24x24 euro rim. Mostly Acros and Montipora Chalice, a couple of Acans I could not resist, 5 small fish.
gmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2011, 07:30 PM   #71
mobyreef
Registered Member

Hi John,

I am curious as to the feeding regimen... do you feed with an auto feeder twice daily or do you & or someone in your family feed your tanks everyday? As a systems engineer I would assume that you cannot always be home at the same time consistently. If you do use an auto feeder system can you share what type and which one you use and also what foods you use (frozen or other types)?

Thanks!

mobyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 09:24 PM   #72
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
John,

I don't remember seeing a kalk reactor on your system write-up, however, I think I remember in the past you used one on your '04 TOTM (link is currently down on that page) If I've overlooked it, disregard, if not can you comment on why you stopped, and maybe give your thoughts on moving away from their use.

Thanks, james.
Hey James, I had no problems with the Nilsen reactor, but as I dose two part I no longer use kalk in addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-reef View Post
Just found out about your upcoming talk you will be giving at our club in S.Fla (FMAS)...I think next month?.....very much looking forward to meeting you and excited to learn a few tips on your success!! Again congrats!!
See you there buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey2 View Post

Thankyou for your response. I am trying to tweak new dosing pumps and my kh has dropped from 8 to 6.5 and my torch has lost 3 heads. I have a frogspawn, hammer, other lps and sps that seem very happy so I don't know why this is happening, I have had the torch for over a year but only 3 heads out of 10-15 fully extend, I have moved it many times and left it alone for long periods, I have tried to feed it but it does not seem to eat, it seems worse if I let my mag or kh drop. Maybe I should be sending this by pm, thanks for sharing your expertise.

I would love to know exactly what you feed twice a day, is this already posted somewhere?
As I said in my article the ONLY thing I test for regularly is alk... it takes literally 30 seconds and dropping alk is one of the very few things that could be catastrophic quickly...

I feed a mix of frozen foods... my favorite is Rogger's Reef Food... I've known Rogger for years as he's been a hardcore hobbyist... he was a professional chef and is from my wife's country where I lived (Ecuador) and lives near family I have in South Florida... Rogger is one of the many good people I put my trust in in this hobby and makes food the way I would if I had the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
BAM! You got it! We all try. You succeed. Truly stunning!

One question I too believe in frequent change of filter socks. What is your cleaning routine for the socks?

Again, thanks for sharing just amazing!
I change them about twice a week. I run them in the washing machine with a couple of cups of bleach on a double cycle. Before washing them I'll run a double cycle of clean water to wash out whatever my wife was running beforehand. After washing I'll float them in a bucket with a bit of dechlorinator just in case. I have about six sets I use so that I only have to wash them about once a month... I order new ones about once a year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyreef View Post
Hi John,

I am curious as to the feeding regimen... do you feed with an auto feeder twice daily or do you & or someone in your family feed your tanks everyday? As a systems engineer I would assume that you cannot always be home at the same time consistently. If you do use an auto feeder system can you share what type and which one you use and also what foods you use (frozen or other types)?

Thanks!
I do not use an autofeeder... feeding is one of the joys of the hobby during which we can enjoy our fish. The time of day does not have to be consistent, but the two feedings a day a few hours apart help. I run 14 hour light cycles from sunup to sundown on all tanks. My sps display wakes up late in the day, and turns off at 1 am. I'll feed once whenever I get home, and once before going to bed. When I'm on travel I'm fortunate to have my father come by and look after my systems. My father lives in the same town and is retired... when he is on travel I reciprocate by taking care of his freshwater systems...

Unread 02/10/2011, 09:41 PM   #73
clsanchez77
Registered Member

John -

This is one of my favorite TOTMs in many years.

I share your passion for angelfish and reef aquariums as well. I also like displays that are unique or just outside the hobby norm and you have done a great job of this in my opinion.

I am currently out of the hobby but plan to come back in big. I would like to build a reef tank around a Queen Angel. Far from the norm and mostly ill-advised by the masses and many texts. However in doing some research on this I think I can accomplish it. Your TOTM has inspired me to keep researching this possibility.

Unfortunately Im still a couple of years away from fulfilling my passion...something about my wife and twins this summer

If its ok with you, Id like to bounce some ideas off of you.

But in the meantime, again congrats on the tank and dont forget to take a bread to enjoy it.

Chris

clsanchez77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2011, 06:52 AM   #74
bobpiker
Registered Member

I love your 180 tank, John. I'll be setting up my 112 gallon soon and I'm accumulating everything now. I have dual overflows, each draining 600gph. I would love to have a bunch of sps down the road and thought 10x turnover would be best for sps. With that in mind, would you recommend having a return pump with 10' of head capable of still returning over 1200gph or do you think I would be better off with something closer to 600gph? Judging by your aquariums, If you have the time I'm sure you'll be able to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks, Bob

bobpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2011, 10:43 AM   #75
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsanchez77 View Post
John -

This is one of my favorite TOTMs in many years.

I share your passion for angelfish and reef aquariums as well. I also like displays that are unique or just outside the hobby norm and you have done a great job of this in my opinion.

I am currently out of the hobby but plan to come back in big. I would like to build a reef tank around a Queen Angel. Far from the norm and mostly ill-advised by the masses and many texts. However in doing some research on this I think I can accomplish it. Your TOTM has inspired me to keep researching this possibility.

Unfortunately Im still a couple of years away from fulfilling my passion...something about my wife and twins this summer

If its ok with you, Id like to bounce some ideas off of you.

But in the meantime, again congrats on the tank and dont forget to take a bread to enjoy it.

Chris
Hey Chris, let me know when you're ready and we could chat. Go for it with the queen... if you're that into the angel you could design a beautiful reef around it. I'd also suggest you do a collection trip yourself to go catch one seeing where you live. Don't worry about the time out of the hobby... it builds character and allows all of our ideas to marinate for a while... barriers are being broken down in this hobby and what we never thought was possible now is. Instead of using outdated texts and misinformation as your guide, use nature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpiker View Post
I love your 180 tank, John. I'll be setting up my 112 gallon soon and I'm accumulating everything now. I have dual overflows, each draining 600gph. I would love to have a bunch of sps down the road and thought 10x turnover would be best for sps. With that in mind, would you recommend having a return pump with 10' of head capable of still returning over 1200gph or do you think I would be better off with something closer to 600gph? Judging by your aquariums, If you have the time I'm sure you'll be able to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks, Bob
Bob, your sps will need flow, not turnover in the sump. With all of the excellent water movement technologies nowadays, there is really no reason to move so much water through your sump. Get a couple of Vortechs perhaps and a smaller return pump... maxing out your overflows is unnecessary and will be LOUD, and again there is no reason for it.

Copps