Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2017, 02:11 PM   #1
ArtsyAxolotl
Registered Member

Pipefish injury?

I noticed today that one of my pipefish looks to have injured her face. Maybe. I couldn't get her to turn enough to let me see it. But it kinda look so like her lower lip and jaw area are missing?? She was puffing her gills quite a bit but when I put bbs in the tank, she started pecking at them and didn't seem bothered.

Is it anything to worry about? I don't have any pericilarly aggressive animals in my tank so I don't think she would have gotten attacked. The only mildly aggressive thing is one of my peps is a little too touchy but I don't think he could have done that much to the pipe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3365.jpg (55.8 KB, 34 views)
ArtsyAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 06:02 PM   #2
ArtsyAxolotl
Registered Member

I'm sorry, I don't know know why I have so much trouble with the picture uploader... hopefully this one is right side up even though it already was right side up on my phone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3365.jpg (55.5 KB, 31 views)
Unread 02/12/2017, 08:25 PM   #3
ArtsyAxolotl
Registered Member

She moved to a spot where I could get a better look at the underside of her snout and yep, she's definitely missing a portion of the bottom of her face....

is it snout rot? I was reading seahorses can get that, so I'd guess pipes can get it too? Is she going to be ok or is she pretty much doomed? Can it hurt the other pipe if it is a disease like snout rot?

Unread 02/18/2017, 05:15 PM   #4
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyAxolotl View Post
She moved to a spot where I could get a better look at the underside of her snout and yep, she's definitely missing a portion of the bottom of her face....

is it snout rot? I was reading seahorses can get that, so I'd guess pipes can get it too? Is she going to be ok or is she pretty much doomed? Can it hurt the other pipe if it is a disease like snout rot?
Yes it looks like snout rot, I really don't know about the treatment but I hope someone can help you soon.

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 05:26 PM   #5
j_mazzy
Registered Member

the treatment is usually euthanization. just had this same post on clay-boa

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2017, 04:28 PM   #6
vlangel
Registered Member

OP got help. He treated with furan 2.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote