Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2017, 04:30 PM   #51
ashish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I'd like to share a method I stumbled onto that kills aiptasias too.

First let me say I had some success with peppermint shrimp and filefish. The problem for me was that they both go after other stuff that I didn't want them eating. So after removing them, the aiptasias came back. I then invested in Berghia nudibranchs, which also are effective, but awfully expensive. They are, in my opinion the best aiptasia controller, and an elegant, natural solution.

Then my tank got ICH. I decided to treat it with hypo salinity, in my display rather than QT, as I was unable to catch the fish.

Long story short, two weeks into treatment, and my aiptasias are gone. So I will toss this method into the ring! Hypo kills aiptasias.

Obviously, this method will not be practical for many, but it is another way to do it. If you are in a situation where you don't mind treating your whole display, this could be an effective (and cheap!) alternative.

Thanks for sharing.. hear those a great for controlling but read they are difficult to keep alive long term.. Anyways, My tank is going on 10 years and is now a FOWLR as I've moved away and found putting a simple LED strip on a timer, along with using only 5 total outlets ideal for this situation. Now I am setting up my first SPS dominate tank as I found it difficult to maintain a mixed reef in a 120gallon. I am going to inspect everything going into the tank for aiptasia and other critters. Unfortunately, I don't trust the LR in my tank as It has too many asteria snails, tube worms, etc, so Ill probably introduce about 10 LB of LR from my cousins tank who I know has no pest.

Frag plugs and concrete disk and clam shells will be inspected to the fullest degree to avoid me having to waste time on pest. I just want to focus on maintaining correct CA, AlK, Low nutrients, - thats it

ashish is offline   Reply With Quote