Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2017, 03:19 PM   #1
surferarnie
Registered Member

How to get mushrooms off of live rock

So i originally thought that my purple mushrooms were cool. But now they are taking over my 110. They have mover all over the tank.
I am looking at the best way to eradicate them without pulling the rocks and drying them.
I have tons of sponge i would like to keep.

The only way i can think of is to set up a tote and put the rocks in to deprive them of light till they die.

Has anyone been had a similar predicament?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

surferarnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 03:44 PM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

That can work, but it takes a while. You can cut then off with bone cutters, but you will need to get cut into the rock. You might be able to inject them with kalk, but they are quite hardy and you have to do it a lot. There is really no good way to do this.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 04:09 PM   #3
The Kahnasaur
Registered Member

The majano wand works very well for removing them. It melts them away without moving any rocks. They'll release a lot of slime though.

The Kahnasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Remove each rock, scrub with stiff toothbrush, dip each affected area in hydrogen peroxide for 30 seconds, rinse in discard tank water, then replace. I'd do this little at a time, one rock at a go, and be careful the bubbles that come off the rock do not hit another coral. Most particularly, do NOT do this to any rock where you may have palys growing: be SURE it's only mushrooms you're dealing with. Palys have toxin dangerous to humans.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 07:00 PM   #5
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I would just use some sharp scissors and try to cut them as close to the base as you can. Pick your battles though, don't just start hacking away. Some of the mushrooms will be real easy to get at, others will not. Once they're all gone go ahead and smother the remaining tissue with some epoxy.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 02:30 AM   #6
KrakenC
Registered Member

I used to have some that took root in quite deep hole.Finally I expanded the hole and cut mushrooms out...As close to the base as I can.

KrakenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 02:30 AM   #7
KrakenC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrakenC View Post
I used to have some that took root in quite deep hole.Finally I expanded the hole and cut mushrooms out...As close to the base as I could.

KrakenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 03:18 AM   #8
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

you can use a syringe and some lemon juice in the same way you can kill aptasia.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 04:28 AM   #9
homer1475
Registered Member

I don't know about blue mushrooms, but to eradicate some ricordia I had that was getting invasive, I used some aiptasia X I had from a previous outbreak. 2 applications to the mouth and surrounding disk, they shriveled up and died off.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 05:28 AM   #10
Grayhead
Registered Member

I had green mushrooms that did the same thing. I mixed kalk to full saturation in a mud sink full of tank water. Soaked for a while and the flesh of the shrooms died. For the rock that had the coral encrusted, I dipped all but the coral. It didn't seem to upset my system, and had to do every rock. But it will kill everything on the rock. I think enough bacteria survived to keep my tank from cycling again.

2- MP 40, 1- Vectra M1 return pump, Build thread below
http:
Grayhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 06:06 AM   #11
Scott07
Registered Member

I just had to eradicate some red mushrooms that were irritating some of my SPS. Dental picks, some epoxy putty, and patience did it for me. I was afraid to use aptasia x or lemon juice as they were growing on the base of my ponape birds nest.

Unread 03/14/2017, 01:49 AM   #12
tang named junkyard
Registered Member

Go on Craigslist and sell the pieces. I had the same issue and people paid 30 bucks for purple mushrooms

tang named junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 07:09 AM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If you can remove the rocks, I do as Sk8r suggests. If I cannot remove the rock then I just cut them off as close to the base as possible. For the latter, I only do a few a t a time so that the rotting bases don't adversely affect the tank. On occasion the base regrows.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 05:17 PM   #14
Branpal73
Registered Member

Try using a pipette with some kalkwasser in it. Try every few days but be careful because too much, too fast can raise your alkalinity quickly and affect other corals

Branpal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 10:23 AM   #15
brett559
In Memoriam

I was getting a lot of the blue mushrooms on one of my rocks. I purchased a pretty huge frogspawn colony and just put it right on top of that rock. All mushrooms gone on that rock. Death my frogspawn. I still have a few elsewhere in the tank, but that rock was my most concentrated part. Not any more.

brett559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 05:20 PM   #16
surferarnie
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice. I tried the aptasia x method. It worked great. I will have to slowly inject one or two every couple of days. If you get the syringe in the mouth you can see the aptasia x shoot in to the fins of the mushroom, they dont last long after that.
I have some large ricorda i wanted to get rid of also.these are about the size of a baseball. I tried the same, shoot the aptasia x in the mouth. I did this for 3 days. It shrunk the ricordia considerably, and it let go of the rock it was attached to, but it didn't kill it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

surferarnie is offline   Reply With Quote