Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2017, 07:29 PM   #2226
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Another Masterflex reefer

Hi all, I am joining the club!

I just bought a used 7520-40 pump with 77200-62 head. So the only problem there is it takes the "performance tubing" which costs $120 for 25ft, but the pump and head only cost $150, so I think it is still a win even if I can't find tubing for cheaper and have to buy a used head that will handle L/S 17 tubing.

My current setup is a ReefDynamics CMR250E (hard to find info on them now since RD is no more, but here is a link to a video showing the smaller version and how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_D_E8DBn0Q.

I currently have the issue where if I use the "CO2 recirc" feature the reactor makes a ton of noise since it is constantly recirculating a ton of bubbles (the reactor pH remains relatively stable, so I dont think that it is sucking air, and the Aquarium Plants CO2 regulator is not constantly bubbling, far from it).

If I do not use the recirc feature, the top of the reactor slowly fills with gas, last time I caught it and drained it just before the gas exposed the entire pH probe, so a lot of gas. But it runs much more quietly.

The reactor intake has enough suction from the recirc pump to suck water in from the sump, then push it out through a needle valve, through a secondary chamber, and then drip into the sump (about 2 drips/second).

I am excited at the possibility of no longer needing that needle valve and just using the masterflex to control the effluent delivery.

Here are some pictures of the reactor setup currently.

The Red tube on top is a way to bleed trapped gas, the black tube on top is CO2 recirc, the white tube to the needle valve is output, and the big blue tube down low is the feed. In theory, this reactor is supposed to be top of the line.

I plan to put the masterflex after the CA reactor and before the secondary chamber (since my secondary chamber isnt necessarily watertight/airtight). So pull from the reactor and push through the secondary chamber.

Any input on solving the trapped gas issue, or suggestions on where to get cheap L/S 24 tubing, or a cheap Easy Load II head that will accept L/S 17 tubing, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for this thread, it is very informative.

Here's a fun pic for your time, good ol' OG Mummy Eye:

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 08:55 PM   #2227
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Rats, Apparently I cant post pics from my Google Photo Albums, so here is try #2 with photobucket.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 03/24/2017, 09:21 PM   #2228
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Welcome to the club! Thanks for posting the pics.

I know it's a pain but could you post a pic of the inside of the cap?

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 10:13 PM   #2229
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

I can certainly, but I think that I can describe it just as well (maybe).

The inside top of that reactor is turned on a lathe such that it is a cone, with the point facing up, allowing trapped gas to concentrate at the center, where the recirc/discharge port draws from (to either bleed gas from the chamber or recirc it back to the pump, the valve on the top is a three way, the positions are [stop][bleed][recirc]). The pH probe and the effluent line are both off-center on the lid, so they sit just slightly lower on the cone, which ideally forces the probe tip and effluent port to always be submerged.

Back when I thought Co2 recirc was the bee's knees, that conical lid was a big reason for my purchase (and the workmanship).

Here is a quick vid (cut straight to the good part) describing the function of that valve:
https://youtu.be/5_D_E8DBn0Q?t=2m10s

Unread 03/25/2017, 10:31 AM   #2230
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Ok great! I actually tried to respond last night but rc didn't like my post. That helps.

So what you're going to want to do is plug the effluent out port and the co2 recirculation input. Pull your effluent from the co2 recirculation output and keep the bleed side as normal. This will draw any non dissolved gas out of the reactor.

A big issue with trapped gas and trying to recirculate it is that under normal conditions co2 dissolves into the water rapidly. If it didn't dissolve on the first pass it probably won't dissolve much on the 2nd or 15th resulting in continuous build up.

I'll see if I can find you a head. There was a hidden stash of stainless easyloads but last I checked it was starting to dry up. I'll have to get back to my pc to get you a link.

This thing is going to be rock solid!

Unread 03/25/2017, 10:44 AM   #2231
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrineLfRlz View Post
Ok so this is what i have gotten so far

masterflex 7523-70- thanks for the great deal scuzy!
Supper Reef Octopus SRO 5000 calcium reactor
carbon doser c02 reg.

opinions please this is what i still need
easy load head
pinpoint ph controller
10lb c02 cylinder
all correct fittings to connect the masterflex pump properly
two little fishes reborn calc. media
zeo mag magnesium granulate
more patience

Awesome! Welcome to the club! Once I get to the pc I'll see if I can link you a good pump head as well.

Carbon doser is a great regulator for this setup, no worries in that regard.

For this setup a ph probe is only used when the setup is in an error state. Under normal operating conditions the system will run full steam ahead. After a power outage at my house this week one of my masterflex pumps decided not to restart, the probe turned the reg off. Using a ph probe as you would in a normal setup will reduce the accuracy of this system.

All of the fittings needed are in the first few posts but wait until we get you a pump head. Regardless re read those posts, they have proven to be accurate over the years. Many successful reefers are using this setup now.

Tuning will be easy! We'll get to that as you get closer to turning it on.

Unread 03/25/2017, 11:32 AM   #2232
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

I eliminated the recirc, and now excess CO2 will just flow on into the secondary chamber and then to atmosphere if it makes it through there.

On the tubing front, I am wondering if biting the bullet and just buying $120 of tubing will mean I have tubing for life (or at least a really long time) or if I should instead try to get a stainless easyload that takes the more common tubing.

decisions... decisions...

I am pretty excited about the possibility of being able to go away for a few days without wondering if the reactor effluent needle valve has plugged and my tank alk is diving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Ok great! I actually tried to respond last night but rc didn't like my post. That helps.

So what you're going to want to do is plug the effluent out port and the co2 recirculation input. Pull your effluent from the co2 recirculation output and keep the bleed side as normal. This will draw any non dissolved gas out of the reactor.

A big issue with trapped gas and trying to recirculate it is that under normal conditions co2 dissolves into the water rapidly. If it didn't dissolve on the first pass it probably won't dissolve much on the 2nd or 15th resulting in continuous build up.

I'll see if I can find you a head. There was a hidden stash of stainless easyloads but last I checked it was starting to dry up. I'll have to get back to my pc to get you a link.

This thing is going to be rock solid!

Unread 03/25/2017, 02:56 PM   #2233
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post

I am pretty excited about the possibility of being able to go away for a few days without wondering if the reactor effluent needle valve has plugged and my tank alk is diving...
I tested and dosed my 34gal coral qt daily for months. Was fighting a precipitation issue as well. Set up one of these, had it adjusted in two days and have only tested about once per month since. Rock solid!

I have 3 Masterflex reactor setups running and have no concerns about stability. I only test for alk/cal once per month on them, rarely do they swing more than .2 dkh per month. The only adjustments I'm making are due to increased demand.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 03/25/2017 at 03:41 PM.
Unread 03/25/2017, 03:55 PM   #2234
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Awesome! Welcome to the club! Once I get to the pc I'll see if I can link you a good pump head as well.

Carbon doser is a great regulator for this setup, no worries in that regard.

For this setup a ph probe is only used when the setup is in an error state. Under normal operating conditions the system will run full steam ahead. After a power outage at my house this week one of my masterflex pumps decided not to restart, the probe turned the reg off. Using a ph probe as you would in a normal setup will reduce the accuracy of this system.

All of the fittings needed are in the first few posts but wait until we get you a pump head. Regardless re read those posts, they have proven to be accurate over the years. Many successful reefers are using this setup now.

Tuning will be easy! We'll get to that as you get closer to turning it on.
thank you for the welcome sir!
I have been wanting to do this for a long time even with my bubble magus doser i still have fluctuations. Im very excited about dosing equal amounts of alk/calc. with the reactor not to mention all the trace elements that will be dosed.
I got my reactor and my carbon doser in so far and i ordered a SLX module for my reefkeeper i will set it up for the error situation as stated then its the c02 cylinder and the media and im golden. I just wish i could test it out but i have to get my pump in it should be here by Wednesday then i can at least pressure test it for leaks. Thanks for the thread and the help!

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC
MrineLfRlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 06:31 AM   #2235
jh2pizza
Registered Member

Im using a Geo 618 with a Pan World Pump. AP doser and a Blue-White Dosing pump for supply.

The problem I am running into is that Excessive air builds up at the lid, gets sucked down into the pump causing cavitation. I have to constantly shut off the pump, let it work the air out and restart it.

I had a theory that the AP was dumping gas at some point causing the excessive air issue at the top of the reactor. I shut off my gas, shut down the Pan World and let the feed pump purge the system over night. started the Circ pump and within 30 minutes,it stopped circulating. Shut it down again, let it purge. This time, I shut off the feed pump, started the Circ pump with no gas. Nothing going in or coming out, the thing run for 48 hours. within 30 minutes of turning on the feed pump, it stopped circulation.

Would pulling the water through correct the issue? BTW, there is no valve on the output to plug up.

I have thought about pulling the effluent through the system, but Im not sure that will fix it.

I have thought about replumbing to reverse the direction so its not pulling the excess air from the lid directly into the pump. Issues with that may be pulling fine pieces into the pump causing pump failure.

I have thought about throwing the entire thing over the hill and going back to 2 part.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 180 in wall, 100 sump, Geo Kalk Reactor, Tunze 9415 skimmer, Geo Media Reactors, Geo 624 CA Reactor
jh2pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 04:40 PM   #2236
swk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2pizza View Post
Im using a Geo 618 with a Pan World Pump. AP doser and a Blue-White Dosing pump for supply.

The problem I am running into is that Excessive air builds up at the lid, gets sucked down into the pump causing cavitation. I have to constantly shut off the pump, let it work the air out and restart it.

I had a theory that the AP was dumping gas at some point causing the excessive air issue at the top of the reactor. I shut off my gas, shut down the Pan World and let the feed pump purge the system over night. started the Circ pump and within 30 minutes,it stopped circulating. Shut it down again, let it purge. This time, I shut off the feed pump, started the Circ pump with no gas. Nothing going in or coming out, the thing run for 48 hours. within 30 minutes of turning on the feed pump, it stopped circulation.

Would pulling the water through correct the issue? BTW, there is no valve on the output to plug up.

I have thought about pulling the effluent through the system, but Im not sure that will fix it.

I have thought about replumbing to reverse the direction so its not pulling the excess air from the lid directly into the pump. Issues with that may be pulling fine pieces into the pump causing pump failure.

I have thought about throwing the entire thing over the hill and going back to 2 part.

I pull directly from the lid and forgo pulling from the co2 recirc

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 05:02 PM   #2237
souk
Registered Member

Quote:

Push/pull wouldn't make a difference. Your effluent output, did you mod it exit the top lid or still on the pvc?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Unread 03/26/2017, 05:05 PM   #2238
jh2pizza
Registered Member

Everything on the Reactor is stock. I took it apart today and noticed the tubing was very loose where the manifold connects to the Pump. This is most likely where the excess air is from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
Push/pull wouldn't make a difference. Your effluent output, did you mod it exit the top lid or still on the pvc?

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 180 in wall, 100 sump, Geo Kalk Reactor, Tunze 9415 skimmer, Geo Media Reactors, Geo 624 CA Reactor
Unread 03/26/2017, 05:08 PM   #2239
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Everything on the Reactor is stock. I took it apart today and noticed the tubing was very loose where the manifold connects to the Pump. This is most likely where the excess air is from.
I hope thats the case and it's fixed. If not, best thing to do is to exit the lid. Its very easy to mod the lid.

Unread 03/26/2017, 07:09 PM   #2240
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Quote:
And you are using a masterflex as in this thread?

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 07:47 PM   #2241
jh2pizza
Registered Member

Im using an older model Masterflex. Large Blue box. I also have a Blue-White diaphragm pump that seems to be dead on @ 50ml. either I was having the same issues.

Unread 03/26/2017, 08:25 PM   #2242
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Since that reactor takes effluent out of the recirc tubing it will often build up excess gas.

If the loose tubing isn't the problem, drill the lid, and pull your effluent from the lid. This will solve the issue. Just make sure to use the correct drill bits (ones made for plastics).

Pulling through is better than pushing for the single fact that these pumps can overpower the o-rings in case of an effluent clog creating a mess. When pulling through if there is a clog somewhere it just stops pulling through but won't make a mess.

Unread 03/27/2017, 12:10 PM   #2243
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

I disabled my recirc and the reactor has run noise free and air buildup free for days.

Apex reactor pH plots don't show much difference before/after, either in duty cycle or pH stability, so I am calling it a win.

Unread 03/28/2017, 01:22 PM   #2244
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

For people looking for L/S 24 tubing, I just found a source on eBay who says that he has more and is selling it for $39 for 25 feet (WAY better than the retail price of $120 for 25').

I think the tubing that he has expires this month, but that is probably fine for our purposes I am guessing. I just asked him to double check the expiration date and will report back.

Here is his ebay store:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/musikaudio?ul_noapp=true

Unread 03/28/2017, 01:37 PM   #2245
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Great! What kind of tubing? The longevity varies greatly between the materials. You want pharmed.

Unread 03/28/2017, 03:21 PM   #2246
africangrey
Registered Member

It's not listed on his Ebay store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
For people looking for L/S 24 tubing, I just found a source on eBay who says that he has more and is selling it for $39 for 25 feet (WAY better than the retail price of $120 for 25').

I think the tubing that he has expires this month, but that is probably fine for our purposes I am guessing. I just asked him to double check the expiration date and will report back.

Here is his ebay store:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/musikaudio?ul_noapp=true

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 04:09 PM   #2247
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
It's not listed on his Ebay store.
Just send him a message, he just told me he has more and just didn't list it. It's platinum coated, the pricey stuff. I'll report back on how much he says he has

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS cube
Unread 03/28/2017, 06:04 PM   #2248
tkeracer619
Registered Member

This is what you are looking for.
https://www.coleparmer.com/i/masterf...-24-25/0650824

Unread 03/29/2017, 07:53 AM   #2249
hkgar
Registered Member

Try US Plastic for tubing. I don't know if they have the size you are looking forthough.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25534

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 08:43 AM   #2250
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

The guy says he has 30 boxes of this (he sent pics of the label and the stack of boxes, but I cant seem to get them to upload):
By MASTERFLEX via Thermo Scientific
Tubing type: Silicone, Platinum - Cured
Size: L/S 24
Length: 25ft
Reorder #: 900-1683
LOT: 0007506529
EXP: 08-JULY-2016

So it is expired, but I think that is ok for our purposes.

He wants $50 shipped ($40 for tubing and $15 for shipping) per box.

Anyhow, Mark do you know will this stuff work? $50 sounds a lot better than $160 if it should work?