Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2015, 11:08 PM   #1
Searchlights
Registered Member

Needing some info.

So today I inherited a Galaxea frag from my friend who was tearing his tank down. I had no idea of what it even was lol. I did a little research and saw where they were pretty aggressive and I should give them some space between other corals. I have it by itself in the sand right now. It's about the size of a golf ball. Is there anything special I need to know about this one? The only other corals I have in my tank now are Xenia and some Zoas.

Searchlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchlights View Post
So today I inherited a Galaxea frag from my friend who was tearing his tank down. I had no idea of what it even was lol. I did a little research and saw where they were pretty aggressive and I should give them some space between other corals. I have it by itself in the sand right now. It's about the size of a golf ball. Is there anything special I need to know about this one? The only other corals I have in my tank now are Xenia and some Zoas.
Being stony, you need to keep the big three balanced, and as you stated, give it room to sweep at night. Don't underestimate its reach either.

Unread 12/28/2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Searchlights
Registered Member

Ok cool, I put it on the sand near the glass where the current is pushing it's sweeper against the glass. So I shouldn't have any problems. I was just making sure it wasn't super difficult to keep or anything.

Unread 12/28/2015, 11:31 PM   #4
Reef Frog
Registered Member

I would move it so the tentacles don't touch the glass. It needs decent but not strong flow, which may or may not be available on the sand bed. It can and might do best mounted on the rock work where the light level is to its liking. A permanent home duplicating conditions similar to the previous owner's might be a good idea if you can do it, assuming it was thriving there. This coral might be considered a little more difficult to keep them average IMO.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2015, 12:08 AM   #5
Searchlights
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Frog View Post
I would move it so the tentacles don't touch the glass. It needs decent but not strong flow, which may or may not be available on the sand bed. It can and might do best mounted on the rock work where the light level is to its liking. A permanent home duplicating conditions similar to the previous owner's might be a good idea if you can do it, assuming it was thriving there. This coral might be considered a little more difficult to keep them average IMO.
My buddy said he had it on the sand bed in the middle of his tank with probably 10 inches of space for it. I can easily move it wherever it needs to go. I just have a few corals in there now. I have 2 Hydor Koralia 1400s with the smart wave. Where it is now, it's not getting super amounts of flow. It's just being gently blown. It opened right up as soon as I put it in the tank. It looks to be doing good on the second day as well. I guess time will tell lol. I'll move it away from the glass and put it on the rock work close to the bottom of the tank and see how it likes it.