Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2015, 10:05 AM   #1651
A_CoupleClowns
Registered Member

Any updates on the new Reef Savy build?

A_CoupleClowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 02:54 PM   #1652
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchnukes View Post
your "temporary" tank is insane.
Thank You for that awesome compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_CoupleClowns View Post
Any updates on the new Reef Savy build?
Yes. We will be bringing the new Reef Savvy home from MACNA next month and plan to start a new build thread for the next chapter (or should I say book) in our ongoing saga very soon...

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2015, 05:04 PM   #1653
Oldude
Premium Member

Your temp tank looks great! I am always impressed with your photography and how well you capture such awesome fish shots.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2015, 07:26 PM   #1654
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Thanks Greg, right back at ya.
Even in the midst of garage tank 2.0, we're trying to keep up our spirits, and give our animals a good home.

Unread 08/14/2015, 07:46 PM   #1655
glaukos
Registered Member

Your temp tank looks far better than any of the main tanks i've had mike lol
Amazing pics,as always

Unread 09/16/2015, 02:41 PM   #1656
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Not much to update right now, other than we still don't have a replacement tank, or an expected delivery date. We are losing some corals in the temp tank. It's been really challenging to regulate the Alk levels, and I think that's probably the biggest contributor to the losses. That, and it's tricky to replicate the lights, flow, dosing, and myriad other things with the garage set up. Fish are doing ok, so far. The 8-line wrasse passed away from old age. One of the Earl's wound up in the overflow, but we fished him out easily and they are both doing fine. The Choati leopard appeared to be stressing for a few weeks, but is better now; not back to normal, but better. Choati's really need stability and they like lots of pods to graze on, so both of those things have taken a hit with this latest busted tank.

It was good seeing many of you guys at MACNA this year!

Unread 09/17/2015, 12:59 PM   #1657
Jetmech2000
Registered Member

Just read your forum, that's crazy!! Very nice build!!

Jetmech2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2015, 01:24 PM   #1658
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Wow, two 300DD failures. Either really bad luck or an underbuilt design. Owner of the 265 myself so now I'm paranoid .......

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2015, 02:42 PM   #1659
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmech2000 View Post
Just read your forum, that's crazy!! Very nice build!!
It has been a tumultuous, crazy journey - that's for sure! Thank you for the compliment and for taking the time to post in our thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Wow, two 300DD failures. Either really bad luck or an underbuilt design. Owner of the 265 myself so now I'm paranoid .......
Can't really say what happened with the first tank. As for the custom built 300, we put a lot of planning and effort into that build and brought in a structural engineer to ensure that the additional floor support and stand were over-built and more than adequate to support the tank.

Anyway, we are looking forward to a fresh start with the new Reef Savvy which should be here at the end of November.

Unread 01/12/2016, 02:14 PM   #1660
toofasst
Registered Member

Mike & Terry,

Wow! I am so sorry for the Marineland failures! What a rollercoaster ride you have been on. Thankfully most has been positive with a reef tank to kill for!

I hope you continue with another build. (might have already done so, new follower).

I have been in the hobby for 21 years but haven't been an avid poster. I have had a Clarity Plus 65 all acrylic tank as well as a large acrylic stand/sump since way back in 1994. The tank has undergone some changes with the addition of metal halide lights, pumps, chiller, etc, etc... The tank has been running since '94 though and this past Christmas I noticed the back wall of the tank was bowing. So I have to replace and go bigger to accommodate my fish .

I am going to have Miracles build a Starphire 60" X "24 X "28.5 with an external overflow. Dereck from Miracles insists that they use 19" glass on the build. He doesn't feel comfortable using anything less for that size. I am having a stand and canopy made locally. Should be nice once it is finished.

Incredible pictures and video of your tank!

toofasst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 08:33 AM   #1661
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

Mike & Terry,
I am so sorry for the tank disasters you guys have faced. I remember reading about the first one and my jaw hitting the keyboard in horror. Thank you both for sharing your journey with us. It is as rewarding and heart breaking as a Disney movie.
Victoria

Mrs. Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 08:06 AM   #1662
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofasst View Post
Mike & Terry,

Wow! I am so sorry for the Marineland failures! What a rollercoaster ride you have been on. Thankfully most has been positive with a reef tank to kill for!

I hope you continue with another build. (might have already done so, new follower).

I have been in the hobby for 21 years but haven't been an avid poster. I have had a Clarity Plus 65 all acrylic tank as well as a large acrylic stand/sump since way back in 1994. The tank has undergone some changes with the addition of metal halide lights, pumps, chiller, etc, etc... The tank has been running since '94 though and this past Christmas I noticed the back wall of the tank was bowing. So I have to replace and go bigger to accommodate my fish .

I am going to have Miracles build a Starphire 60" X "24 X "28.5 with an external overflow. Dereck from Miracles insists that they use 19" glass on the build. He doesn't feel comfortable using anything less for that size. I am having a stand and canopy made locally. Should be nice once it is finished.

Incredible pictures and video of your tank!
Thank you for the kind words and best of luck to you with your new Miracles tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Music View Post
Mike & Terry,
I am so sorry for the tank disasters you guys have faced. I remember reading about the first one and my jaw hitting the keyboard in horror. Thank you both for sharing your journey with us. It is as rewarding and heart breaking as a Disney movie.
Victoria
Victoria, Thanks so much for the kind words!

It's been a long wait for the new tank, but so worth it. The new Reef Savvy arrived Tues afternoon and we could not be more excited. We will post up some pics with details very soon!

Unread 02/11/2016, 08:43 AM   #1663
ptreef
Registered Member

Insane...
Excellent dedication and calmness!
Great backup plans and help!

I'm sure next build will be amazing again!

ptreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 09:25 AM   #1664
dave.m
Registered Member

New tank build thread or will you stay with this one? I need to keep up.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 12:08 PM   #1665
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

Now you'll finally have a tank worthy of your skills as a reefer. Can't wait to see it.

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 10:17 PM   #1666
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Hey everyone - hope things are going well for you.
We've been staying incredibly busy; work, life, kids, and of course getting ready for our install of the new tank. We think we're going to start a new build thread so this one has finally run out of steam. We genuinely appreciate all the support over the years and hope the new build will be fun!

Unread 02/25/2016, 08:56 PM   #1667
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop-frags View Post
Hey everyone - hope things are going well for you.
We've been staying incredibly busy; work, life, kids, and of course getting ready for our install of the new tank. We think we're going to start a new build thread so this one has finally run out of steam. We genuinely appreciate all the support over the years and hope the new build will be fun!
Cool!!! It makes sense to start a new thread and leave all the bad ju-ju behind.

Mrs. Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 04:13 PM   #1668
FLSharkvictim
Registered Member

Where did you buy and find your fiberglass pole rods for your rock work?

Tank Info -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
120 deep, Ecotech M1 pump, Skimz 163 DC skimmer, Custom sump / Refuge 36 x 15 x 15, 2 Maxspect Gyre XF130's, Celestial C35W Maxspect Grow light/Spotlight,
AquaticLife T5 HO light fixture 48'' and a Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w ..

FLSharkvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2016, 04:10 PM   #1669
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSharkvictim View Post
Where did you buy and find your fiberglass pole rods for your rock work?

Tank Info -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
120 deep, Ecotech M1 pump, Skimz 163 DC skimmer, Custom sump / Refuge 36 x 15 x 15, 2 Maxspect Gyre XF130's, Celestial C35W Maxspect Grow light/Spotlight,
AquaticLife T5 HO light fixture 48'' and a Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w ..

Sorry for the delay in reply. The fiberglass rods came from McMaster-Carr.

Unread 08/08/2016, 07:32 PM   #1670
Mandrake
Registered Member

Thank you for sharing your incredible story , I am sure you will come back again stronger than ever. I am inspired by your will and dedication to this hobby, best of luck going forward.

Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2016, 10:49 PM   #1671
Nick James
Registered Member

Great read and lots of inspiration for my own future build. Looking forward to your new thread!

Nick James is offline   Reply With Quote