Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2010, 10:40 PM   #1
swannyson7
Registered Member

My 180 build in progress

I'm not getting much feedback in my local reef club forum, so I thought I would post the thread here as well...

Due to the lack of adequate sandbed real estate and disliking the aquascape of my 125, I was able to convice my wife to let me upgrade tanks. I bought a used 180 a few months back, but due to my hectic schedule the project was put on hold. Over the past couple weeks I've made quite a bit of progress on building the stand and have some new lighting with more coming. On my 125 gallon setup I have 250 watt 14k Phoenix DEs and 48" T5s. On the 180 I'll be upgrading to twelve 36" T5s and I'm undecided whether to keep the halides or upgrade to LED. I'm seriously considering the upgrade, but we'll see what the buddget is looking like when the time comes. Here's a few pics of the tank stand thus far:

The frame made from 2x4 and 2x6 from the plans on reefcentral:

I added some drawers on ball bearing slides so I have a place to put things down while i'm working (and a beer and my elbows once it's up and running):

Here's the skin being tacked on the front:

And then I did quite a bit of work without taking any pics so there's a big jump...

On the other end of the stand, there's a door to slide the sump in and out, and a flush mount for my RKL. For a skimmer I'm running an Octopus Extreme 250, but I just upgraded the pump from a Sicce to the bubble blaster 3000 which supposedly pulls about 50-60 SCFM. The canopy is framed out, but that's about it at this point. The full design is still up in the air depending on what I end up doing for lighting. I plan on using 1/8" braided cable with a pulley system and a ratcheting winch so that I can raise and lower the fixtures for maintenance/light acclimation.

Any comments/concerns thus far would be greatly appreciated. Now it's just a matter of finishing up the setup and moving the contents of the 125 over. I can't wait!!

swannyson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2010, 10:40 PM   #2
swannyson7
Registered Member

Got a bit more work done today. Finished the facing on the left drawer pull out, mounted the door for the sump, and added hardware.

Here's the frame for the canopy... the next project to undertake.

The whole top will be hinged, with false doors on the front the match the stand and it will use the same column design to match. I may use heating register vents in white for ventilation of the canopy, but I'm undecided. I was trying to track down a small ratcheting winch or high torque, low RPM DC motor to spool the 1/8" steel cable I planned on using to suspend the lighting fixtures. Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything that would work besides a $150 linear actuator, so I decided to go with adjustable/spooling light hangers sold in a hydroponics store.

Unread 07/11/2010, 10:41 PM   #3
swannyson7
Registered Member

I finally got some more work done today. Added some under cabinet lighting for the inside of the stand. Originally I planned to use door switches so that it would be auto-on when I opened the door, but there was no good way to mount them seeing as it was an afterthought, so I just hooked them up to the rocker switches on the side. I also added the bottom shelf inside the stand, and lined it with 1x3 which I'll caulk in place in case of any accidental spills. The whole inside will be coated with Kilz exterior primer and polyuerathane to make sure it's water tight.

I decided to go a different route than originally planned with the canopy. Instead of the entire front hinging with false doors, the new plan will have matching doors and a hidden door on the end so that the fixtures can slide out for bulb replacement. I ordered 3 LED fixtures that have 119 3W led's driven at 1.26w a piece for 150w. They are blue, white, red and violet diode's and have 60 degree optics. The guy selling them was getting 250 par at 24" deep with the fixtures 4" above the water and they were able to easily cover a 2'x2' area. Plenty of light for anything I want to keep even down low. He said they should be in next week...so hopefully they'll be here by the time the canopy & plumbing are done so that I'll be good to go. I'll be running some Koralia Evos from the 125 on a timer with the RKL so hopefully I'll have plenty of random flow, but I was still contemplating running a closed loop system as well.

This was the original plan for the plumbing, but I eliminated the closed loop from the equation for now, so both drain lines and return lines will be used for the sump.

I got some work done on the canopy, the plumbing, and made some tank tops for any suicidal wrasses. Here is the progression on the canopy....

The side of the canopy in hinged so that the 72" T-5 fixture can slide out for bulb replacement...

A preview of the doors that still need to be mounted-

Unread 07/11/2010, 10:42 PM   #4
swannyson7
Registered Member

Here is the plumbing that I worked on a bit. It's going to have to be trimmed once it's installed, but it's a start. Everything that will be out of the water is painted for walking my wife through any problems that arise when I'm not home, but anything that comes in contact with water will be unpainted.

The red is the drain line, the green is the return line, and the yellow is the A.T.O.. The tee off of the pump return is to throttle down the return flow if necessary without adding too much resistance on the pump. The yellow fitting on that same tee allows the coil of flexible tubing to screw in for draining during water changes. The 1/2" PVC that comes off of the return line will go into a portion of the sump seperated by a baffle to create flow for frags.

I'm still contemplating using a closed loop, but I've read so many mixed reviews about them that I'm not sure. It sounds like they get clogged up with detritus and can be a real PITA when they fail. If I use one, it will be a siphon off the DT instead of drilling the bottom of the tank, but I'm probably just going to use my Koralias. I'm thinking about chiseling out some liverock to conceal them a bit (like the tunze rock), but I just don't want it to be a nigthmare to swap them out if they fail. Any thoughts?

I used the aluminum framing parts for a screen window to make covers for the tank. I ordered some mesh netting the hold in with the screen spline. It's made of translucent nylon and the holes are slightly larger than eggcrate. It should be dense enough to prevent any jumpers, but open enough that it won't hinder lighting. Here's some pics:

And fitted on the tank...

Unread 07/11/2010, 10:43 PM   #5
swannyson7
Registered Member

LEDs arrived today,so here's some pics of them over the tank! Please excuse the bad pics, I was too excited to break out the SLR, so you're stuck with my P&S shots. The fixture is over the left third of the tank, while the right 2/3 is lit with 250 watt phoenix 14k bulbs on galaxy balasts and two 54watt T-5 actinics.
Here it is with just the center section on....about the same as the rest of the tank-

And with just the two outer portions and the center off-

And with the whole thing on-

As you can see, it's much brighter than the halides. The pic looks pretty washed out because the auto white balance kept adjusting for the halide portion, but the color is about a 18-20k look. I get the MH ripples on the sandbed and the color pop of LEDs. Heres a few quick shots with my P&S to try to show the colors-

Unfortunately, due to the unbearable heat that we've been experiencing, work on the tank was put on hold for most of the week. I did get a little bit done today though. the doors are now mounted on the canopy, I did some sanding, and I started adding the finishing trim. Another hour or two of work this weekend and it'll be ready for paint!! Here's a few pics of where it stands right now.

Unfortunately, I ran out of the trim that I'm using to hide the black pastic frame of the tank, so I'll have to head to home depot tomorrow and grab some more.

I also went on a bit of a reef tank shopping spree over to past few days, so they weren't completely wasted. I bought some Warner Marine Ecobac pellets (Solid vodka dosing to control PO4 & NO3), a couple peristaltic dosing pumps, some loc-line, GFO, filter socks, and some ATI Blue+s. I also caulked the 1x3 around the bottom of the stand for accidental spills and re-siliconed the tank. After a bit more work this weekend, I should be just about all set and ready for the move once I can round up enough people.

Unread 07/11/2010, 10:44 PM   #6
swannyson7
Registered Member

I also did a little rethinking on the sump design so that I can have a refugium and a frag setup. I think I'm just going to run a PAR38 20k LED fixture for frag lighting to grow out zoas & acans, and use a clip on flood light bulb for the refugium.

Unread 09/17/2011, 02:48 PM   #7
swannyson7
Registered Member

Just realized that I never updated this thread, only the one in my local forum. So here it is after 1 year

Currently on hiatus...
Unread 09/17/2011, 02:50 PM   #8
swannyson7
Registered Member

And some recent topdown shots...

Currently on hiatus...
Unread 09/17/2011, 02:52 PM   #9
swannyson7
Registered Member

Currently on hiatus...
Unread 09/17/2011, 02:52 PM   #10
swannyson7
Registered Member

Currently on hiatus...
Unread 09/17/2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Fish4Me2
Registered Member

Wow! That looks amazing. What's your current stocking on the fish?

Fish4Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 03:02 PM   #12
swannyson7
Registered Member

Currently on hiatus...
Unread 09/17/2011, 03:06 PM   #13
swannyson7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4Me2 View Post
Wow! That looks amazing. What's your current stocking on the fish?
Thanks! I lost a few fish during hurricane Irene, so I replaced them with some new tangs.
Right now I have:
2 percula clowns
yellow tang
hippo tang
powder blue tang
yellow eye kole tang
convict tang
Blonde naso tang
9 chromis
2 dragonface pipefish
mandarin dragonette
melanarus wrasse
mystery wrasse
pink spotted goby

I know it's heavily stocked, but there is no sign of aggression and parameters remain spot on with the filtration I have.

Currently on hiatus...
Unread 09/17/2011, 04:47 PM   #14
aleonn
Registered Member

Beautiful tank and livestock! I really like your wood working skills, especially the trays that slide out. I can imagine putting a beer or soda can on that thing :P

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 05:20 PM   #15
Fish4Me2
Registered Member

I'm really impressed. What sort of maintenance and dosing do you do to keep parameters in check?

Fish4Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 06:21 PM   #16
snorvich
Team RC member

Gorgeous. One note on your screen covers. If the holes are larger than 1/4 inch some fish can easily jump through it. However only one on your current stock list. Great job and wonderful corals!

Unread 09/17/2011, 06:31 PM   #17
Pallobi
CTARS, BRS & OSRAS Member

Scott's system is what i like to call, LEGIT... lol... awesome stuff as always bud!

Unread 09/17/2011, 07:52 PM   #18
mark54321
Registered Member

Amazing pictures,tank looks great.

mark54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 09:39 PM   #19
KoralKing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannyson7 View Post
WOW that is a beautiful scape! nice job

KoralKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 11:19 PM   #20
Reefing Newbie
Registered Member.

What is the blue coral in the middle of this picture? I really like it!!!

Reefing Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2011, 11:26 PM   #21
swannyson7
Registered Member

Sorry.. my phone tends to double post.

Currently on hiatus...

Last edited by swannyson7; 09/17/2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: double post
Unread 09/17/2011, 11:27 PM   #22
swannyson7
Registered Member

Thanks everyone! To answer your question fish4me2, I only things I dose are 3 part from BRS for Ca, alk, and Mg (plus I top off through a kalk reactor), 2 drops of lugols daily and 15 drops of brightwells aminos. My maintenance schedule is 10% water changes weekly, along with monthly replenishment of chems for the dosing pumps and heavy duty cleaning of all equipment. The filtration consists of a fuge with LR rubble, a dsb, and chaeto along with an octopis extreme 200 powered by a bubble blaster 3000, a tlf 550 with 750 ml of WM Ecobak, and two tlf 150s with carbon and rowaphos.

The mesh tops are quarter inch netting, so the only thing that can squeeze through are the pipefish and (knock on wood) they haven't tried to jump yet.

If anyone is interested in the full build thread with tons of pictures, here's a link to the one in my local forum:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1859526

Currently on hiatus...
Unread 09/18/2011, 12:19 AM   #23
swannyson7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Newbie View Post

That's a blue maxima clam.

Currently on hiatus...
Unread 09/18/2011, 01:30 AM   #24
tqpolo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Newbie View Post

You're a newbie? No way!

tqpolo is offline   Reply With Quote