Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2016, 11:53 PM   #51
stackrat
Registered Member

That's actually a very smart idea. Seeing as I'm redoing all my plumbing at present, I'm going to incorporate that.

Very useful. Thank you.

stackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2016, 12:04 AM   #52
monkeyruler90
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKirkland View Post
I use a filter sock on my inlet to the sump so if any I get very little amount of detritus when it does get bad I just us my python to clean it out. (once a year).
great idea!

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon Freshwater tank
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2016, 10:32 AM   #53
Vipete1985
Registered Member

You cam also just buy a stinger wet dry vaccuum from home depot for 20 or 30 bucks real small easy to suck everything oit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 50 gallon Cube 20 gallon sump...GMP Liverock...Neptune Apex with Neptune Wav pumps...Interested in obviously keeping coral and fish for viewing purposes but my goal is to make these systems as automated as possible
Vipete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2016, 01:00 PM   #54
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

The best thing I have bought for maintenance on my tank is my shop vac with built in bilge pump.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-14-Ga...acuum/50159061

I clean the sump and do a water change all at same time. Hook a hose to the back of it and run out to my driveway. Shut off system and suck all the detritus from the sump then just suck all of the water from my sump too. Fill the sump back up with water to the same level and bam. Sump clean and water change done!

I have used that vacuum for everything. I just tore down a 90g tank to sell and drained it in about 5 minutes. Then capped the pump outlet and sucked all the old sand out too. It's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/01/2016, 04:15 AM   #55
Flinty118
Registered Member

Can't keep my sump clean

Hi I have currently a 100 litre sump in the first section I have live rock and in the second miracle mud and cheato and in the third section I have my skimmer and return pump between the baffles I have filter floss in my main second section I just can't keep it clean it blooms in algae and covers my cheato and every week I clean it can anyone suggest any way I could better maintain or run my refugium. Thanks

Flinty118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2016, 09:00 PM   #56
E.litvin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralreefdoc View Post
One of the most underrated, and often overlooked aspects of a system, in regards to equipment, is powerful powerhead(s) located in the sump. Not only does it keep detritus suspended to be filtered/skimmed it
This really makes so much sense but yet such a great idea. Does it clean your water too much???

E.litvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2016, 09:03 PM   #57
E.litvin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
Likely the removal of the detritus has lowered the overall phosphate and nitrate of the system.

My 7 year old tank is a disaster. High phosphates that I can't keep down, no matter what. I have been dumping the overlfow into a 10 micron filter sock and using a powerhead and stick to blow everything off and stir the substrate. Things are getting clearly better.

I am doing the same for the sump that is full of LR. Again, there is a clear impact on the livestock. 7 years worth of sediment in the sump can not be good... no matter how healthy things look for 6 years!
Do you think removing all that sediment and detritus removal will clean your water too quickly possibly causing issues in the tank because of the nutrient swing?

E.litvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 12:38 PM   #58
CleanReef
Registered Member

I was thinking of using an EHEIM quickvac gravel cleaner... Since it doesn't actually take water out but only filters it, I figured this might work.

I've been reading up a little on the topic of this stuff that gets stuck in the sump. Some people say that removing it may cause issues in the tank. Anyone with experience to back that up?

CleanReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 01:11 PM   #59
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

I don't see how removing decaying food and fish poop can possibly hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 08/19/2016, 08:35 PM   #60
fishyguy7
Registered Member

Don't know if anyone else mentioned it but I use a marineland magnum 350 with the micron filter and filter sock. I have been doing this for nearly 20 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PC.../dp/B00025YURM

fishyguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2016, 03:43 PM   #61
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

Talking check valve?

Hope this is not too far off topic...but I am wondering if you guys use a
check valve in your plumbing so that your tank does not drain too far
when the power goes off? I am thinking I want it to drain less then my last tank as the sump got too full and if I am going to be draining the sump occasionally to clean I am thinking of installing check valve so the main
display does not drain down even necessarily to the end of the return pipes even...

Thanks for your help

Tim

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
Sohal Tang Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2016, 12:03 AM   #62
Sysco
Registered Member

Is there anything that eats it like a crab or a cc starfish?

Sysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 01:49 AM   #63
pwoody
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
Here is a nice trick...

I plumbed in a tee on the return and also with a valve, the tee runs back to the inlet section of my sump.

I close the valve to the main display tank, and open the "recycle" valve, or so I call it, then stir up every last corner and area in the sump. Turn my return pump on high and recycle/filter all the water back through my filter socks.

I waste no water, and takes less than 5mins. When I'm done I pop in a new filter sock, open and close the appropriate valve and away I go.
That is an awesome idea!!! I'm planning a tank upgrade and I'm pretty sure I'm going to incorporate something of this nature in the plumbing when I do!
I ended up draining down my sump completely and hand removing with tissues and towels etc, before refilling! EFFORT!

pwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 07:58 AM   #64
Timfish
Registered Member

I never clean sumps. Fish poop is full of magnesium and calcium carbonate crystals and is a major component of the muds found on reefs that is so beneficial to reef aquaria.

Unread 03/15/2017, 09:08 AM   #65
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Sohal Tang Tim -- Check valves should Not be used, risk of failure is too great,
Anti siphon holes in the return plumbing is a much better solution.
They should be checked every water change to make sure they are clear of obstructions.

Unread 03/15/2017, 09:44 AM   #66
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I use a 100 micron sock that I replace very week. I like a very clean sump.
I think the logic of letting all the crap accumulate to emulate the reef/ocean is flawed because an aquarium is nowhere close to the scale of an ocean, where if you sum up the all the crap in the ocean, it would be negligible compared to the total volume of the ocean. So keeping a tank clear of detritus would actually emulate the ocean more imho.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 01:02 PM   #67
davocean
Registered Member

I finally picked up a "buckethead" vacuum attachment, it fits on any 5g bucket, sucks up dry or wet, it was only $23 at HD, works great for vacuuming sump area and you can toss the bucket should it ever become funkified or you wish to use a bucket specifically for your tank only and another for whatever you wish.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 12:07 PM   #68
sde1500
Registered Member

I haven't cleaned my sump in the year my tank is running. Small layer of brown gunk is accumulating in the bottom. 6 months or so ago I pulled the filter sock, and recently to that section I added some Seachem matrix. Just a quick look in the sump shows pods moving all over the place. Some big ones too, actually suspecting they may be small brine or mysis shrimp, they are that big. I have some GHA in the DT, but I don't think I want to mess with the sump, considering I see so much life in it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 12:33 PM   #69
vashawn
Registered Member

I clean my sump once a year.
The socks and return chamber only.
the mid chamber is a 100g refugium. i only take out some mud and add back and clean
around the area.

Current Tank Info: 300gal reef
vashawn is offline   Reply With Quote