Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/06/2017, 03:28 PM   #26
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
Is there a recycling symbol on the container? If yes what is the number inside of the symbol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's the symbol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cammunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 05:59 PM   #27
bobt2
Registered Member

I am having my house lifted above the flood zone here on the coast. after much crying, I decided to get rid of all my livestock, corals and tanks. it's going to be a 6 month project. the only good side is it will be bigger and better than ever, with no fear of ever flooding again[ fish room had 4' of saltwater in sandy]...

bobt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 06:08 PM   #28
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Wow I'm sorry to hear and good luck!

Unread 03/06/2017, 08:13 PM   #29
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

moving! Don't know what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammunoz View Post
So here's the symbol

Hmm a recycling symbol identifying it as polyethylene (pe) but with no number is certainly interesting lol. That being said I would defer to the manufacturer as they are basically telling you that they expect it to leech something not good indefinitely if used as water storage. Which is kind of frightening given that its meant for cattle to eat and drink out of... But I digress lol.

If it was me I would leech it and use the tank. The fact is very few companies make the polyethylene resins used in the construction of these commercial containers. More then likely it's a combination of BASF and/or DOW resins. Given that we know the rubbermaid ones are safe and these are probably a direct copy using the same combination of resins, I would use it. The market luckily doesn't support a vast array of possible sources for the types of materials used in these containers. Hope this helps

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 08:57 PM   #30
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Hmm a recycling symbol identifying it as polyethylene (pe) but with no number is certainly interesting lol. That being said I would defer to the manufacturer as they are basically telling you that they expect it to leech something not good indefinitely if used as water storage. Which is kind of frightening given that its meant for cattle to eat and drink out of... But I digress lol.

If it was me I would leech it and use the tank. The fact is very few companies make the polyethylene resins used in the construction of these commercial containers. More then likely it's a combination of BASF and/or DOW resins. Given that we know the rubbermaid ones are safe and these are probably a direct copy using the same combination of resins, I would use it. The market luckily doesn't support a vast array of possible sources for the types of materials used in these containers. Hope this helps

Well I was confused also they said we don't know we wouldn't it's used from recycled material lol but I'm thinking wait your feeding animals with these? Or are they just covering themselves?
I filled it today and poured a bottle of bleach in hope it works. I am confused I looked up the symbol all that comes up is PE- Polyethylene?

Unread 03/06/2017, 08:59 PM   #31
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Unread 03/06/2017, 09:03 PM   #32
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Well I was confused also they said we don't know we wouldn't it's used from recycled material lol but I'm thinking wait your feeding animals with these? Or are they just covering themselves?
I filled it today and poured a bottle of bleach in hope it works. I am confused I looked up the symbol all that comes up is PE- Polyethylene?

I think you'll be fine and leave it to the manufacturer to be as clear as the stock tank lol

Unread 03/06/2017, 09:04 PM   #33
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
I think you'll be fine and leave it to the manufacturer to be as clear as the stock tank lol

Haha true I just read it has UV protection that should be a good sign?

Unread 03/07/2017, 04:54 AM   #34
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Most commercial plastic products including Brute trash cans contain UV protecting additives so I wouldn't worry about it!

Unread 03/07/2017, 06:39 AM   #35
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Crap!

http://www.mbisite.org/forums/tm.asp...e=1&print=true

Unread 03/07/2017, 11:04 PM   #36
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

The manufacturer basically has to say don't use it for fish, liability and all. I wouldn't start painting it either... I think it will probably be fine. I'm seen plenty of frag tanks and temp tanks using the same type of tub. One of my LFS uses one to cure rock.

I would definitely rinse it and wipe it down with bleach. Bleach is pretty darn safe. ONce the tub dries, there is no issue with bleach. Washing it down gets rid of residual oils etc from the manufacturing process.

Why not just setup your tank at your parents? Its easy to break down a tank and move it. Well, relatively easy.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 07:24 AM   #37
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
The manufacturer basically has to say don't use it for fish, liability and all. I wouldn't start painting it either... I think it will probably be fine. I'm seen plenty of frag tanks and temp tanks using the same type of tub. One of my LFS uses one to cure rock.

I would definitely rinse it and wipe it down with bleach. Bleach is pretty darn safe. ONce the tub dries, there is no issue with bleach. Washing it down gets rid of residual oils etc from the manufacturing process.

Why not just setup your tank at your parents? Its easy to break down a tank and move it. Well, relatively easy.

Yea but in the link I posted poster claimed he had 12 stock tanks for reef and some started leaching out. Do you think the bleach will help leach it out?

Unread 03/08/2017, 08:59 AM   #38
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Yea but in the link I posted poster claimed he had 12 stock tanks for reef and some started leaching out. Do you think the bleach will help leach it out?

No. The bleach will not help it leach.

I'm still confused why you don't just move the tank to your parents? You don't have to move the stand if its too difficult.

Unread 03/08/2017, 09:09 AM   #39
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalick View Post
No. The bleach will not help it leach.

I'm still confused why you don't just move the tank to your parents? You don't have to move the stand if its too difficult.

Because I would have to move it by myself. If I did I would have to get a stand, because I can not sit the tank on the floor because of the bulkheads, which yes I could remove but i don't want the tank leaking over their floor and or stressing the tank

Unread 03/08/2017, 09:15 AM   #40
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Because I would have to move it by myself. If I did I would have to get a stand, because I can not sit the tank on the floor because of the bulkheads, which yes I could remove but i don't want the tank leaking over their floor and or stressing the tank

Gotcha. You could always buy a used 90g or so tank on CL.

Unread 03/08/2017, 11:02 AM   #41
steallife904
Registered Member

how long do you plan on keeping stuff in it? short term I think would be ok. Long term maybe not.... could you put somekind of liner in it???? Not sure of what kind exactly but I wonder if there is some kind of liner you could put down in it like a pool liner?

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 11:48 AM   #42
Sk8r
RC Mod

Frankly, I'd look for another real estate agent with a better attitude. Personally, as a home-buyer, I remembered houses that showed evidence of happy people with pets of whatever sort, and the sterile places just were cold and uninviting.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 01:24 PM   #43
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post
how long do you plan on keeping stuff in it? short term I think would be ok. Long term maybe not.... could you put somekind of liner in it???? Not sure of what kind exactly but I wonder if there is some kind of liner you could put down in it like a pool liner?

I already thought about it a pond liner! Reef safe too

Unread 03/08/2017, 01:30 PM   #44
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
I already thought about it a pond liner! Reef safe too

Instead of all this trouble, why not just get a used tank on craigslist?

Unread 03/08/2017, 01:38 PM   #45
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post

I was thinking a pond liner

Unread 03/08/2017, 06:49 PM   #46
flooddc
Registered Member

I have that same stock tank (Little Giant 100 gallon) as a sump for the past 2 years without any issue. The reason I use it because of it's depth. If you think or suspect that it will have issue, why not just return it and get a Rubbermaid stock tank? Rubbermaid stock tank cost a bit more, but at least it is proven to be reef safe. It's make better sense than trying to paint it or use pond liner over it.

flooddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 07:42 PM   #47
boboman
Registered Member

It might, go ahead and try if you think it would work. good luck

boboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 08:39 PM   #48
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flooddc View Post
I have that same stock tank (Little Giant 100 gallon) as a sump for the past 2 years without any issue. The reason I use it because of it's depth. If you think or suspect that it will have issue, why not just return it and get a Rubbermaid stock tank? Rubbermaid stock tank cost a bit more, but at least it is proven to be reef safe. It's make better sense than trying to paint it or use pond liner over it.

Well I was going to but.......I lost the receipt

Unread 03/08/2017, 08:51 PM   #49
AndrewNC
Registered Member

I agree with Brunzy. I've sold 2 houses and they've both had fish tanks in them. If a realtor told me to get the tank out I would honestly tell him/her to screw themselves. Great looking tank though

AndrewNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2017, 09:29 PM   #50
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Oxidizers like bleach will help leech polyethylene (just wanted to correct that), your realtor is dumb lol and if you do have to move it I'd just use the stock tank. Whatever caused issues in those select tanks are more then likely very isolated (to one batch of tanks) as these are designed to hold and store food and water for live stock after all.