Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2017, 05:15 PM   #5451
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Sadly my guy woke up and was no longer with us. Ironically the formalin that's been missing - showed up today. I don't think I'll try another one for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 05:19 PM   #5452
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSalt View Post
Sadly my guy woke up and was no longer with us. Ironically the formalin that's been missing - showed up today. I don't think I'll try another one for awhile.

Wasn't it doing fine?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 05:33 PM   #5453
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Wasn't it doing fine?

Yes. Assumingly so..... he was swimming kind of odd yesterday and refused to come out of the PVC. He did eat though. I did another prazipro bath yesterday and you could see more flukes leaving him. When I went to bed, he was fine but still in the tube.

Unread 03/18/2017, 05:43 PM   #5454
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSalt View Post

I am sorry to hear this. My last guy died. Same thing. She was shy and would not leave her cave. This time I added things in the cave to disturb it when I feed. I also have a pair of very aggressive eating clowns. I think Regal Angels are smart and learn to eat by watching other fish.
My baby Regal is a very aggressive eater now. I try to feed her dry food instead of frozen food. IMO, dry food are much more energy dense and have much wider amount of nutrients than frozen food. I am glad my Regal prefer to eat flakes over frozen. Here is a video of him eating just now. This is the 4th feeding today. I am home so I feed them every few hours. Only two feeding on weekdays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpbNF0HFPtA

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 06:46 PM   #5455
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I am sorry to hear this. My last guy died. Same thing. She was shy and would not leave her cave. This time I added things in the cave to disturb it when I feed. I also have a pair of very aggressive eating clowns. I think Regal Angels are smart and learn to eat by watching other fish.
My baby Regal is a very aggressive eater now. I try to feed her dry food instead of frozen food. IMO, dry food are much more energy dense and have much wider amount of nutrients than frozen food. I am glad my Regal prefer to eat flakes over frozen. Here is a video of him eating just now. This is the 4th feeding today. I am home so I feed them every few hours. Only two feeding on weekdays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpbNF0HFPtA

Perhaps I should have tried that. I feel like I did all I could do!

Unread 03/18/2017, 11:37 PM   #5456
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
... My last guy died. Same thing. She was shy and would not leave her cave. ...
Was that the last you just got from LA?
It seems they have a fluke issue. If you know that they have flukes I would go for a combination treatment with hyposalinity and PraziPro (dosed 4 weeks straight). And even that shouldn't be trusted blindly.
Most people treat "flukes" like Cryptocaryon irritans, Brooklynella hostilis or other well defined single species pathogens, but "flukes" is more of a general term that describes an entire group of families of parasitic flatworm species - the Monogenea and Digenea with thousands of species in at least 50 families! And not all are sensitive to everything! Some are completely unaffected by Praziquantel but can be killed with hyposalinity, others can handle freshwater just fine but are sensitive to Praziquantel, some require copper and a few can only be killed with dylox. So treating flukes is always a gamble unless you identify the family you are dealing with first.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 04:19 AM   #5457
OrionN
Moved on

That was over 1 year ago. I got that one from my LFS (they ordered from QM I think). It was fine as far as I can tell but just did not eat, mainly from being shy. This one I have her in a fully mature DT, cover everything so she is not spook by anything, then I place a eater in the cave I know that she will be in got get her out of the cave when I feed her. I may be lucky, but I think this was the most important reason for me to get her to eat.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 03/19/2017, 04:22 PM   #5458
ReefPharmer
Registered Member

My regal now swims in the open quite a bit and is pretty active but he still doesnt really eat anything. The tangs mostly leave him alone but when i throw a halfshell clam in, he comes up to it, looks at it and leaves. It got to the point that my tangs are eating the clam (or at least tearing it up) but he doesnt touch it. So far, he hasnt eaten nori, clam, blackworms, different types of flake and nls pellets. He doesnt even touch the zoas. Again, he is pretty active and is swimming w/ the tangs but doesnt eat...

ReefPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 04:32 PM   #5459
OrionN
Moved on

For sensitive fish like this you have best chances if you get him eating well before release him into DT

Unread 03/19/2017, 04:47 PM   #5460
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
For sensitive fish like this you have best chances if you get him eating well before release him into DT
+1... should've remained in QT

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 04:49 PM   #5461
ReefPharmer
Registered Member

Regal Angel Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
+1... should've remained in QT

My qt is 10g and he wasn't doing great in it for a week. He is doing better in the DT and is active. I read the advice here and a lot of posts stated it's best to put regals into the DT.

I could catch him and sump him which is about 20g of open space. Not sure if that's better.

ReefPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 07:19 AM   #5462
pfan151
Registered Member

Can you section off part of the tank with eggcrate? With the other aggressive feeders you have in the tank he probably doesn't stand a chance to get any food since he's still hesitant.

Unread 03/20/2017, 07:47 AM   #5463
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefPharmer View Post
My qt is 10g and he wasn't doing great in it for a week. He is doing better in the DT and is active...
With timid/hiding fish in QT, I have occasionally added a 'dither fish' to show them that's it's safe and how/what to eat

Unread 03/20/2017, 01:33 PM   #5464
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I quarantined my baby Maldives Regal with a group of dottybacks and a pair of Banggais. The Regal was the smallest fish in that tank, yet he was the boss.
He never made any issues with eating from day one - you throw food in and he will eat it.

The issue with non eating Regals is that they have gone without eating for too long. They stopped being hungry and their digestive system has started to atrophy.
A 4 to 5 inch regal can go a month without food without showing too much weight loss. The only way to save them at that point might be force feeding, but that isn't easy.
Generally I would not buy a Regal without seeing it eat (exception is from LA due to their warranty).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 03/20/2017, 05:01 PM   #5465
OrionN
Moved on

I do think that having agressily eating fish in the tank is important. Just seeing other fish eat will induce the Regal to eat

Unread 03/24/2017, 06:26 PM   #5466
OrionN
Moved on

More picture of my baby Regal. He is gaining weight and his stomach is round with feeding.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BabyRegal2017032403.jpg (59.4 KB, 942 views)
File Type: jpg BabyRegal2017032402.jpg (72.4 KB, 1282 views)
File Type: jpg BabyRegal2017032401.jpg (70.2 KB, 941 views)

Unread 03/24/2017, 06:30 PM   #5467
pfan151
Registered Member

Nice. It's Definitely full.

Unread 03/26/2017, 01:45 PM   #5468
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I'm surprised by the rate these little guys grow. My Maldives baby regal has gone from 2 to 3 inches in less than a year - more than doubled in mass - and I have it only in a 40 breeder sump tank.

Unread 03/26/2017, 01:52 PM   #5469
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I'm surprised by the rate these little guys grow. My Maldives baby regal has gone from 2 to 3 inches in less than a year - more than doubled in mass - and I have it only in a 40 breeder sump tank.

Yea, my most recent purchase is noticeably larger and it's only been like a month. He's been getting fed a ton though

Unread 03/26/2017, 09:24 PM   #5470
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Yea, my most recent purchase is noticeably larger and it's only been like a month. He's been getting fed a ton though
Post a picture. I hate to be the only one that post picture of Regal

Unread 03/29/2017, 03:39 PM   #5471
JustinM
Registered Member

So I finally acquired a Regal. I have been wanting this fish for some time and finally it the bullet and ordered one. I was at work so my wife was home to accept delivery(btw UPS sucks, never knocked on door, just had the package sitting in the driveway. Wife was curious why it wasn't here at 11:30 so she tracked it and it says delivered at 9:30)

Anyways, to add insult to injury, the water he was in was 1.015. After talking to the owner of the store, he thinks his helper put him in the hypo water, don't understand why he wouldn't just be shipped in his own water. I ran out and bought a 20h tank for him and made new water up with his SG. All our other qt's are in use.

Wish me luck! I gave him a 30 min methylene blue bath and will observe from here on out. I did notice he swims not sideways but on a small tilt to his side. Not all the time but a little here and there. Is this any thing I should worry about?

Thanks!

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 04:24 PM   #5472
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
Anyways, to add insult to injury, the water he was in was 1.015. After talking to the owner of the store, he thinks his helper put him in the hypo water, don't understand why he wouldn't just be shipped in his own water..
Where did you order from?

Unread 03/29/2017, 04:26 PM   #5473
JustinM
Registered Member

I don't really want to say because the guy seems pretty standup and has replaced a fish for us that ups delayed for 2 days and died from ammonia burns. It's a reputable guy, just obviously not his helper.

Unread 03/29/2017, 05:19 PM   #5474
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
So I finally acquired a Regal. I have been wanting this fish for some time and finally it the bullet and ordered one. I was at work so my wife was home to accept delivery(btw UPS sucks, never knocked on door, just had the package sitting in the driveway. Wife was curious why it wasn't here at 11:30 so she tracked it and it says delivered at 9:30)

Anyways, to add insult to injury, the water he was in was 1.015. After talking to the owner of the store, he thinks his helper put him in the hypo water, don't understand why he wouldn't just be shipped in his own water. I ran out and bought a 20h tank for him and made new water up with his SG. All our other qt's are in use.

Wish me luck! I gave him a 30 min methylene blue bath and will observe from here on out. I did notice he swims not sideways but on a small tilt to his side. Not all the time but a little here and there. Is this any thing I should worry about?

Thanks!
Shipping in lower salinity is fine and actually beneficial for the fish. If the fish has only been at that low salinity for a few hours (or a day) he can be brought up to normal salinity rather quickly. The requirement to raise the salinity very slowly applies more to fish that have been for weeks in hyposalinity treatment so that their kidneys have adapted to that salinity and need slowly get used to handle larger volumes again.

As for swimming with a slight tilt - that's quite normal.

Unread 03/29/2017, 06:39 PM   #5475
JustinM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Shipping in lower salinity is fine and actually beneficial for the fish. If the fish has only been at that low salinity for a few hours (or a day) he can be brought up to normal salinity rather quickly. The requirement to raise the salinity very slowly applies more to fish that have been for weeks in hyposalinity treatment so that their kidneys have adapted to that salinity and need slowly get used to handle larger volumes again.

As for swimming with a slight tilt - that's quite normal.
Ok, thanks.