Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2018, 06:57 PM   #26
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Current video of the new 215. Select HD for best video!

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 07:52 PM   #27
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Go figure, never happy! I had 18 years to decide on the configuration of this new tank and now that it is in place and running I wish I had placed the overflow box on the left side of the tank, not that having it in the center back is a problem. The thing is the tank is built into the wall and I like not having the back of the tank painted, basically two sided. If I had placed the overflow on the end the back and front would have had unrestricted viewing.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Unread 12/23/2018, 08:21 AM   #28
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanaWelch View Post
Looks Awesome!

--------------------------
Commodore 64 Art Box: a visual Commpendium features well over 100 titles, represented by beautiful in-game shots or loading screens, plus a gallery of artwork by legendary ZZAP!

Unread 12/23/2018, 07:13 PM   #29
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

I was using two Hydor Koralia 3G 2450 gph Circulation Pumps with the SmartWave Pump Controller. They did fine circulating the water but they were big and ugly. Wasn't interested in spending $600 for circulation pumps so I after researching the Jebao Crossflow CP-150 I purchased one. $115 was a acceptable price to pay to give it a try. I must say I am impressed with this pump. It has plenty of flow for a 72" long tank. In fact to much for a Softy and LPS tank. The pump is dead silent and has worked flawless for the last two days. Time will tell! So far the Jebao Crossflow CP-150 is a keeper for me.

Select HD for best video.

Last edited by Dean Ladd; 12/23/2018 at 07:24 PM.
Unread 12/31/2018, 05:22 PM   #30
fishguy597
Registered Member

Can you go into some detail of the transfer from old tank, to holding tanks, and new tank. How long did you cycle each And so on. In the next few weeks I'm breaking down my 200 and I'll be moving everything into holding tanks for a few months.

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 06:13 PM   #31
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

I never took my original/old tank sump offline. I already had a 55 gallon tank plumbed into the system. I then purchased a 50 gal stock tank that I plumbed to my already running sump. When I was ready to take down my old tank I simply moved everything into the two tanks. There was no cycle to worry about since the sump was already online along with the 55 gallon tank. This means there wasn't any interruption in the established system beneficial bacteria.

Thank of it this way, moving from one room in your home to another will not harm you since everything you need to survive is already in that other room. Now if you had a room in your home that was completely sealed off with no oxygen or atmosphere, before entering that room you would need to open the door and wait for the oxygen/atmosphere to fill that room before entering. All I did was move my live stock from one established room to another with everything needed to survive already online and established.

My recommendation would be to setup your temporary systems, if possible connect them to your current system. This will help to quickly establish the needed bacteria and assure that the water parameters are already the same between the current system and your temporary system. Greatly reducing stress on your live stock and beneficial bacteria. If you have live rock and an established sand bed in your current tank moving those into your temporary system will provide all the needed bacteria to keep everything online since teach hold a large part of your systems beneficial bacteria. Keep in mind if your temporary systems water volume is smaller than the current system you will not want to over feed your live stock this could cause stress on your beneficial bacteria and a spike in ammonia.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
Can you go into some detail of the transfer from old tank, to holding tanks, and new tank. How long did you cycle each And so on. In the next few weeks I'm breaking down my 200 and I'll be moving everything into holding tanks for a few months.

Last edited by Dean Ladd; 12/31/2018 at 06:29 PM.