Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2017, 10:36 AM   #1
drew930
Registered Member

Are these clear storage bins reef safe?

I was looking at getting 1-2 of these for my Rubbermaid sump ... one to be a box for skimmer and to hold filter socks and the other (maybe different size) to hold some extra sand or what not....

I am going to use a milk crate to elevate these boxes. Then stick my skimmer inside with a hole at proper operating level to drain into sump.

Here are the clear storage bins I am talking about. I'm looking at Hefty but really any brand would work. Any brands I shouldn't get??

Just wanted to see what everyone thought.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-66-Quar...ng-Lid/3341164

Unread 12/02/2017, 10:53 AM   #2
drew930
Registered Member

These black ones might even be better??

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Centrex-Plast...Lid/1000198647

Unread 12/02/2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

I've had a similar clear container in my sump as a divider for years, no problems afaik. Bought it at Walmart. Recommend washing any plastics with detergent and a good rinse first to get rid of any possible mold release or other substances.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 08:26 PM   #4
drew930
Registered Member

^ Thanks for the response. I figured the my were okay but didn't know if all of them are or certain brands, materials?

Anyone else ?

Unread 12/07/2017, 09:02 AM   #5
zachfishman
Registered Member

Avoid! I used a “food safe” plastic storage bin as a sump for months before finally figuring out it was poisoning my corals. Unless it’s acrylic, ABS, PVC, or polyethylene I do not let it sit in prolonged contact with my system.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 09:13 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachfishman View Post
Avoid! I used a “food safe” plastic storage bin as a sump for months before finally figuring out it was poisoning my corals. Unless it’s acrylic, ABS, PVC, or polyethylene I do not let it sit in prolonged contact with my system.
blah... I'm highly skeptical that a food safe container was poisioning your corals.. Being that it actually had a "food safe" rating meant it has gone through additional testing that many other containers do not.. As such it has been deemed "human safe" and I just fail to see how that would cause a coral problem.. Coincidence was likely IMO..

I have been using all sorts of plastic containers/totes in my systems for years without issue.. The clear plastic totes are fine and I've used many other colors/shapes/sizes too..
If its plastic of any kind I don't worry and will and have used it..
Plastic is basically inert.. The only thing I do is a quick rinse/wipe down with vinegar..

Unread 12/07/2017, 09:31 AM   #7
d-man
Registered Member

^this

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 09:46 AM   #8
cincyjim
Registered Member

I've been using that container (first link) as my ATO since I began the hobby, 6 plus years ago, and have never had an issue with it. All I did was wipe it down and filled it up.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 09:51 AM   #9
zachfishman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
blah... I'm highly skeptical that a food safe container was poisioning your corals.. Being that it actually had a "food safe" rating meant it has gone through additional testing that many other containers do not.. As such it has been deemed "human safe" and I just fail to see how that would cause a coral problem.. Coincidence was likely IMO..

I have been using all sorts of plastic containers/totes in my systems for years without issue.. The clear plastic totes are fine and I've used many other colors/shapes/sizes too..
If its plastic of any kind I don't worry and will and have used it..
Plastic is basically inert.. The only thing I do is a quick rinse/wipe down with vinegar..
I went through a lot of troubleshooting before replacing that sump. The reversal in my corals' health was quick and dramatic following its replacement (I'd share the thread if photobucket hadn't recently botched everyone's embedded pics). Many others do successfully use plastic storage bins without issue, so I may have gotten a bad one, but I still recommend avoiding them.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 10:27 AM   #10
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

I have never had a problem with them

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 11:04 AM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachfishman View Post
(I'd share the thread if photobucket hadn't recently botched everyone's embedded pics).
That hasn't been fixed here yet?
What are the admins here waiting for?

I use the photobucket fix extension for chrome personally..
That or when needed I just append the ~original to the url for the image and it shows up again..
That same trick can be done "in mass" to the entire RC database and be fixed in minutes...

Unread 12/07/2017, 01:47 PM   #12
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew930 View Post
These black ones might even be better??

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Centrex-Plast...Lid/1000198647
i use lots of these for all kinds of things in my setup. i used to use them for storing and mixing saltwater, until i upgraded tanks and needed a larger container.

as far as i have observed they're perfectly safe. although it's never a bad idea to rinse them out real well before their first. that's true of anything you use with the tank though.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote