Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2007, 03:28 PM   #76
lilchris
Premium Member

I like your set up. I have a 90 gallon also. I am in the process of building up the reef side of it. I like how you want to keep it simple. But believe me it will turn complex over time. I said the same thing, I want it simple. Its only been a year and only starting off w/ a sump, skimmer and some Maxijets, you can look at my current tank info and see everything that I have acquired over the year. I also just got an ACjr., another phosban reactor and a couple sureflow mods for Christmas. I still tell my wife, its a simple setup, while I am scratching my head wondering why my tank is all white and cloudy from the DIY automated 2 part sys. that just over dosed my reef, and doing a water change at midnight. So, it will turn complex, but in your mind (and in the minds of all reefers)it is still as simple as apple pie. Good job, good start, and GOOD LUCK on keeping it simple. I will be following this, hopefully you can give me some ideas on how to stock my reef.

lilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 03:33 PM   #77
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyguy7150
I forgot how high i made my first set of baffles, I am using a 29g as my sump as well. Also am using the octo nw 150 too
The NW-150 works great on my 55g. How is it holding up on your 90?

Current Tank Info: Biocube 8 on the way!
jcpatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 03:35 PM   #78
zach0660
Registered Member

Are you planning on transfering the inhabitants from the 55g over to the new 90 once you get it up and running?

zach0660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 03:36 PM   #79
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilchris
Good job, good start, and GOOD LUCK on keeping it simple. I will be following this, hopefully you can give me some ideas on how to stock my reef.
I agree. Once you master the "simple" parts, it's so easy to add more complexity to it, even if just for a challenge. As of now, I plan on keeping only a few LPS and mostly softies and ricordia - this should allow me to get by with a lot less... I'm a huge fan of color, but also motion. I'll get my color from the rics and motion from the softies (and fish, of course).

When it comes time for stocking, I'll definitely be taking suggestions!

Unread 12/27/2007, 03:49 PM   #80
flyguy7150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
The NW-150 works great on my 55g. How is it holding up on your 90?
Works awesome, have done some mods on it, 3 layers of mesh, bored out elbow, and the venturi. Getting great skimmate, have to empty the cup like almost once a day.
Heres a pic of my sump setup btw,

When i turn off the pump, it only overflows an extra gallon or two in the sump, i wish i knew that before i built the baffles, I wouldve gone higher. O and my chaeto has outgrown his fuge...gotta start trimming now.

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!

Current Tank Info: 90g AGA Reef Ready, 6x54w T5s w/ SLRs, 29g Sump/fuge, OR 2500 Return, Octopus NW150, 2 x TLF Phosban Reactor, Koralia #1, #4, MJ Modded
flyguy7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 03:55 PM   #81
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zach0660
Are you planning on transfering the inhabitants from the 55g over to the new 90 once you get it up and running?
Yes - actually, this is the only thing that I'm worried about. I don't want to double up on components (like a skimmer or return pump), so this is how I plan on doing it:

1) Fill up the 90g and sump with new salt water. Drop in some new live rock from the LFS.
2) Transfer over the skimmer & return pump from the 55g to the 90g while it is cycling.
3) Test the 90g water quality daily and pray that it will be ready to accept the new inhabitants within a week or so.
4) Transfer over the live rock, fish, and corals (carefully acclimating all of them). I will probably also remove 40 gallons of water from the 90g and use as much water from the 55g as I can during the transition.

The quality of the 55g water will be declining as there will be no sump (fuge, skimmer) attached anymore. I'll hook on an old seaclone and HOB filter (for water movement/gas exchange) and do a water change to help.

I don't really know how this will all work out, so any suggestions would be extremely helpful!

Unread 12/27/2007, 04:04 PM   #82
flyguy7150
Registered Member

I was able to transfer all my inhabitants from my 46 to my 90 same day. I just did it like a 60% water change. I filled up the 90g and 29g sump with new salt water. The DT about halfway or a little more. Used new sand btw for the 90g, nothing from the 46 cept a cup or 2 seed the new sand. Tested for everything, SG, trates trites nh4 ph, then threw the rock from the 46g in it. Transferred the water from the 46 to the 90g, caught the fish, and threw em in there along with all my corals. If you check my build thread i think i showed some pics on the earlier pages.

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!

Current Tank Info: 90g AGA Reef Ready, 6x54w T5s w/ SLRs, 29g Sump/fuge, OR 2500 Return, Octopus NW150, 2 x TLF Phosban Reactor, Koralia #1, #4, MJ Modded
flyguy7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 04:32 PM   #83
JJ4417
Registered Member

I'm sure you will get more advice on this one, but I think there is a more simple way to do it and you don't have to worry so much. Remember that things get shipped all over the world and do just fine. Also...nothing good happens fast. So mainly...don't worry about additional LR right now.

Before you put in the LFS LR, your water in the 90g is pristine. You really don't have a lot of livestock. A heater inside the tank and a couple of PH to move the water around and I believe (someone correct me) your livestock would be good for a couple of days, at least. Especially using the fully cycled LR from the 55g for filtration. This will give you plenty of time to hook up the plumbing, skimmer, etc.

1. Order some Marco rocks at $2/lb (avoid hitchhikers and pests that come from 'cured' rock)
2. Go get a couple of 55g trashcans with lids from your local hardware store (on rollers)
3. Use one can for the 'cycling' of the marco rock. Throw your old heater and your Korila 3 in there and wait it out.
4. Use the other can to drop 20g or so of your old water and all of your livestock into. Acclimate as usual. With that much water, you could do several hours (watch the temp)
5. While that's acclimating, work on your plumbing. Even if you don't finish, you aren't in a rush because your livestock will be fine in the 90g for a while.
6. Finish up the plumbing, put in the macro when it is done cycling.
7. Use one 55g for RO/DI, and the other for salt in case of a crash.

Anyone else?

JJ4417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 06:01 PM   #84
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Thanks! I loved the interaction of your thread. We all see pictures of tanks on RC all day long, so to see the actual people who work on them is different and fun! I give you credit for coining the term, "Action Shots", though!

I love the stand! It has a solid look to it. I'm in favor of black stands/canopies - I think it lends the eye to the tank itself. Anything that's larger than the stand for my 55g is enough to make me happy!
Thanks! =) I agree, I didn't want a thread that was just about tanks... I wanted it to be more about us and everything that was going on... otherwise it's JATT (just another tank thread)!

Everyone loves action shots! lol.

I agree with the black finish. Good job on the sump!

NanoGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 06:55 PM   #85
Rustylugnuts
Powdered Toast Man

Like the sump, lookin good! I'll be workin with the baffles n plumbin in a couple more weeks so I look forward to pics of what you put together.

Current Tank Info: Buncha parts and tanks of various size. Nothing currently running :(
Rustylugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 07:13 PM   #86
crt81
Registered Member

Great looking tank!

And it is so nice to see a fellow reefer that's from the same location!!!!

Current Tank Info: 12gallon aquapod anda 65 gallon AGA currently in the process :)
crt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 09:53 PM   #87
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyguy7150
If you check my build thread i think i showed some pics on the earlier pages.
Thanks for the link - that's a great tank setup you have! I hope I can transfer everything with minimal collateral damage!

Unread 12/27/2007, 09:54 PM   #88
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crt81
Great looking tank!

And it is so nice to see a fellow reefer that's from the same location!!!!
Thanks! I don't see many people from New Orleans around here!

Unread 12/27/2007, 09:58 PM   #89
jcpatella
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ4417
Before you put in the LFS LR, your water in the 90g is pristine. You really don't have a lot of livestock. A heater inside the tank and a couple of PH to move the water around and I believe (someone correct me) your livestock would be good for a couple of days, at least. Especially using the fully cycled LR from the 55g for filtration. This will give you plenty of time to hook up the plumbing, skimmer, etc.

Anyone else?
Thanks! One of the main reasons why I don't want to purchase uncured rock is because I don't want to set up water changes and trash cans for 30lbs of rock. In this case, I think I'm just going to get rock that is basically tank-ready and avoid the time spent otherwise.

Unread 12/27/2007, 10:01 PM   #90
crt81
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks! I don't see many people from New Orleans around here!
Nope!

Well another site where you will definitely have alot of New Orleans people is lareefclub.com!

(I hope it's ok to post this website, if not oops!)

Current Tank Info: 12gallon aquapod anda 65 gallon AGA currently in the process :)
crt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 10:09 PM   #91
jcpatella
Premium Member

While I was on RC, last night, my buddy Drake fell asleep in his mama's lap. MAMA'S BOY!!!!!

From time to time, she feels the need to dress the dogs. Wow.

On a more relevant note, I took flyguy's advice and put some eggcrate in my sump. It's a piece of cake to cut down to size using wire-cutters.

It fits snug in the sump, so I don't have to silicone it in place. This will be convenient later if I decide to move it around a bit.

IN OTHER NEWS, I received my new RO/DI unit today! Of course, I already hooked it up, so I'll post the pictures and steps sometime tomorrow! NO MORE LUGGING 5 GALLON WATER JUGS FROM FILTERED WATER STAND!!!!! YAY!!!!

Unread 12/28/2007, 12:55 AM   #92
Rustylugnuts
Powdered Toast Man

hmm I think I'm gonna hafta steal that.

Current Tank Info: Buncha parts and tanks of various size. Nothing currently running :(
Unread 12/28/2007, 05:47 AM   #93
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

yourr sump looks great so far

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 08:07 AM   #94
jcpatella
Premium Member

Thanks!

I did receive set-back this morning, however. While tracking my Marine Depot order, I got this message:

THE PACKAGE WAS DAMAGED IN TRANSIT. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH THE DETAILS / ALL MERCHANDISE IS BEING RETURNED. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH DETAILS OF THE DAMAGE

This isn't that big of a deal, but I do have salt in that order. I'm really low as of right now, so I'm hoping I don't have to go to the LFS to buy some. That kind of defeats the purpose of getting it cheaper online. Oh well.

Unread 12/28/2007, 08:36 AM   #95
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

lol sorry to hear that just putting out there that i will also be starting a 90g thread later tonight and you are welcome to give advice and follow along

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 09:38 AM   #96
fambrough
Registered Member

My sump is set up similarly, not exactly, but close. My baffle arrangement is slightly different in that I use four baffles between the skimmer/drain area and the middle refugium section; and only one baffle between the refugium and return area. Still the basic, three compartment sump scheme is the same.

I also use eggcrate with the final baffle (before the return), but I went one step further and zip-tied screen around the eggcrate. This minimizes any bits of debris or chaeto (when you harvest) from getting to the return section. It's an easy trick and I recommend it. Also, my eggcrate goes from the bottom of the sump to much higher than the baffle.

When you get to the plumbing you're going to put some ball valves in, right? I restrict the return pump and use a slow flow through the sump...not counting on the return as a component of flow in the dispay. It's part of a methodology that works for me.

BTW, I have really enjoyed your tank build thread. I think it's one of the more enjoyable. I look forward to following your progress.

All the best,
Ben

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder clown/anemone tank; RR 75 mixed corals and fish: radions over both, vortechs; one 37 cube fresh water with ryukin goldfish
fambrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2007, 12:03 PM   #97
jcpatella
Premium Member

fambrough - The zip-tied screen is a good idea. Everytime I harvest the chaeto, I do get little 'hairs' that wind up in the display. Does the screen potentially block pods, or are the holes large enough for them to pass through?

Also, yes, I have ball-valves and union valves. I like to be able to remove the plumbing and re-adjust - there are always things you never plan for!

Unread 12/28/2007, 01:10 PM   #98
jcpatella
Premium Member

Well, I had to cancel my order of salt, but my refractometer and thermometer are still on the way! UPS decided to play soccer with my salt bucket.

I got my RO/DI unit from the FILTERGUYS (www.thefilterguys.biz) yesterday, which was a breeze to hook up....minus the little mishap....

Of course, my wife looked at me like an idiot when I took a picture of an unopened box.

There's just something about knowing what's inside and having the anticipation build.... I took the unit out of the box, which was very well packaged. This is what came in my package:

I've seen on a couple of threads where people mount the unit on a board and screw the board into the wall. I thought this was a good idea, so that's how I did it. Plus, I got to use my new miter saw and dewalt drill! Good ole' Santa (a.k.a. father-in-law)!

Hooking up the unit is a piece of cake - the unit comes with diagrams, but who uses instructions? Instructions are for guys who like to install the unit properly and not waste time wondering why it's not working. LOSERS!

I decided to get a T on the RO output. That way, we can have drinking water and aquarium water. RO water is what we drink, but RO/DI water should only be used for the aquarium. I'm a biology major, so if anyone wants a more in-depth explanation.... there are plenty of articles you can read online!

Where's Waldo?

The only problem i came across was the saddle-piercing valve. The valve was stripped, so it didn't fully puncture the pipe I used it on. It caused a small leak. My wife, a.k.a. HERO OF THE DAY, ran over to Home Depot while I tended to the small leak and tried to control my obscenities. She brought back another saddle-piercing valve, which worked perfectly!

I'm actually surprised at how quickly it works. I thought I'd be able to count the drips, but I'm pleasantly surprised. +1 for the filterguys!

Later!

Unread 12/28/2007, 01:29 PM   #99
Rustylugnuts
Powdered Toast Man

Right on! I wish I had the water pressure to drive MY 5 stage like that! I'm reduced to totin 5 gal bottles to the physiology lab I cycle rats for on campus to get my water. (I'm going to wait till after graduation to snag a booster pump)

Unread 12/28/2007, 01:41 PM   #100
killagoby
Registered Member

Your wife wanted the 120g? My suggestion to you, DON'T EVER GET DIVORCED!!! I just look at my tank and my wife feels left out. We have 7 month old twins and she swears that neither one of them will have a fishtank. I say, "that's right, because they will have Stomatopods!"