Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2017, 10:04 AM   #1
Bryancls
Registered Member

Rose Bubble Tip Anemone shrinks with mouth open.

Hello! Last night my wife texted me while I’m at work, she was worried about our anemone showing an alarming feature. It shrunk with his mouth open like gasping for some air.

I tried doing some research first before I tried to do some crazy things. My water parameters were ok and so as the light. I just had this anemone for 4 days now and he actually settled on that position after a day. Anyways, my research came in to different responses from our fellow reefers, some says its dying, other says its just pooping, other says having its mouth open is not normal. I tried to think of other possibilities, I only fed him once by spot feeding it with phytoplanktons and mysis shrimp which I don’t think he took it. Nothing big that will make him vomit it by not digesting it. So I tried to let him be and slept. The next day as I woke up I immediately checked him and he is back to his normal ways!

All bubbles are up and looking happy.

I made this thread hoping to get more information about what happened to my anemone since I am not the only hobbyist here that got the same experience. Maybe someone here knows the answer and I really wanted to know the reason why. I am now really fascinated with anemones... they really have a character.

Hoping to hear back from you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryancls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 10:53 AM   #2
D-Nak
Registered Member

Is that first photo after the lights are out? If so, that's normal behavior.

Unread 12/12/2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Bryancls
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Is that first photo after the lights are out? If so, that's normal behavior.

That photo is after the light is out. But the shrinking happened before the lights. Maybe lights going out.... night time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryancls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 04:55 AM   #4
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

I agree if the shrinking happens when lights are out, but I would be concerned if you keep witnessing a gaping mouth, with or without lights on, the mouth should be tight.

fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 06:00 PM   #5
Andrew S.
Registered Member

Mysis shrimp can be fed

Andrew S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 06:25 PM   #6
reefnoob88
Registered Member

Totally normal behavior as the light goes out for them to shrink up and sometimes mine closes up completely with just a few tentacles sticking out. Always within half an hour to an hour before my light goes out for the night. My understanding is that they may deflate and mine does this on occasion to release waste. I would however be concerned if this is happening often and the mouth opens for extended periods of time. I have owned my anemone for a few months now and have been alarmed on a few occasions but i am much more comfortable! Hope any of this helps....

reefnoob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 06:26 PM   #7
reefnoob88
Registered Member

Great looking nem BTW......

reefnoob88 is offline   Reply With Quote