Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2017, 06:54 AM   #1
njreefermadness
Registered Member

Best Settings for Alpha Cone 250

Herb again:

Based on the parameters of my prior post, what would be the best settings for my skimmer. Running in 9 inches of water currently.

How many turns of the inlet nozzle?

Any other tips while I wait for my Double Cone 200?

Thanks.

Herb

njreefermadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 09:49 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

There is no best settings for that skimmer since every tank is different. It depends heavily on load, amount of dissolved organics (DOC’s) in the water and many other factors. All of which have an impact on the ideal position for the nozzle.

I would suggest starting at 1.5 turns out. Then make tiny adjustments to the nozzle moving it outward until you find the sweet spot for your load. It will likely be more than 1.5 turns out but as I said, every tank is different. It helps to take a sharpie pen and mark a line across the nozzle and the part it threads into with the nozzle fully closed so you have a visual reference point for fine tuning. When I ran an Alpha, it took me weeks to find the sweet spot. Once other tip is to use rubber gloves when making adjustments as the oils in your skin will impact the surface tension of the water which has a direct impact on the skimmer. Using gloves will allow you to see the difference from your adjustment almost immediately instead of having to wait an hour or more.

Your goal with the adjustments is to find the spot that makes the line where bubbles turn to foam as stable as possible while also creating the most dense or thick foam head. It takes a week or more for the skimmer to break in and once you make your initial adjustments, it will take a day or so (assuming the skimmer is broken in) to really settle in. If the skimmer is oversized, you will likely find yourself making many adjustments because the amount of dissolved organics will be rising and falling in the system as the skimmer reduces the DOC’s and then idles along until the build back up.

You will want to adjust the water level inside the skimmer so that the line where bubbles turn to foam is around the base of the collar where the cup attaches to the body. That would be your driest skim setting. Use your wedge pipe to raise it up further for wetter and more consistent skimming. How high you go depends on load, DOC’s and how consistent or inconsistent the skimmer is behaving. It could be 1/2” above the collar, it could 1.5” above the collar.

When you get your double cone 200, assuming it has the RD3, the ideal pump speed is typically between 28-32w. Sump level between 8.5 and 9” depending on the amount of DOC’s in the water. Set the level where bubbles turn to foam at the base of the white collar where the cup attaches to the body for the driest skim setting.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 12:36 PM   #3
njreefermadness
Registered Member

I am tired of jerking around with my Cone 250. Decision time. Mini 200 with rd3 or dbl Cone 200 with rd3 with my load?

I am going to order Monday.

Herb

Unread 12/03/2017, 12:50 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by njreefermadness View Post
I am tired of jerking around with my Cone 250. Decision time. Mini 200 with rd3 or dbl Cone 200 with rd3 with my load?

I am going to order Monday.

Herb
6 of this, a half dozen of the other. I’d lean towards the double cone because the pump is outside the body which makes routine maintenance much easier. With the double cone, you shut the pump off, pinch the silcone couple hose and pull the pump out to clean it. With the Mini, because of its space saving design, you need to pull the entire skimmer out and take it apart to service/clean the pump. They both are great performers though. I just much prefer having the pump outside since I clean my pump very 4 months or so. The other nice thing about both is that the nozzle is designed to pop off the front of the pump making the chore of removing salt buildup from the venturi port and breeze. It’s a bit easier on the Double cone since the nozzle isn’t going through the skimmer body like it is in the Mini. The neck in the double cone also pops out of the collection cup which makes it really easy to clean the neck since you don’t really even need to remove the cup to do it.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/03/2017, 04:17 PM   #5
njreefermadness
Registered Member

Sounds like a double Cone is the way to go fo me. Thanks for all of your valuable insight and prompt responses.

Herb

Unread 12/03/2017, 05:47 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Very glad to help!