Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2019, 12:16 AM   #551
Wally.B
Registered Member

HAPPY 2019 NEW YEAR FOLKS

Just finished a 9 week Cyano outbreak, so thing are getting better...

It's been a challenging 2018. Mostly I would say with trying to add new Fish, and some sensitive Corals like Ice Fire / SSC.

But I haven't killed countless SPS like in the Past setup.

Hoping 2019 will be a better Journey, on the Frags...Growth, Color and Health.

All the best to everyone too!!

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 04:46 AM   #552
Big E
Registered Member

Nice Wally

Now you can sit back and watch everything grow!

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 10:42 AM   #553
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Nice Wally

Now you can sit back and watch everything grow!
Thanks Ed.

Watching Acros Grow SLOWLY is pretty painful, but not as painful as watching them BLEACH QUICKLY from Dishwasher Soap going into my RO Reservoir Randomly.

However I do have inspiration from Successful setups like yours, Matts and others.

And from one of my youngest Frags.

Colors and Growth is fine....PE need to come back...Waiting Patiently.

TODAY

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 01/06/2019, 06:14 PM   #554
reefmutt
Registered Member

Happy new year Wally!
Still love the arch scape.
Things look good in there.
Here’s wishing you human and coral health and happiness!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2019, 11:27 PM   #555
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Happy new year Wally!
Still love the arch scape.
Things look good in there.
Here’s wishing you human and coral health and happiness!
I like the Left Arch so much, I finally found another ARCH that fits to join the right side islands.

BEFORE (Adding 2nd Arch)

AFTER (Slightly tilting the Right Island TOP ROCK with Yellow Tubinaria Fused to it)

Video shows the new Rock Scape better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqqC_WoSAGQ

Now I got room to spread out the Frags (which are way too close for the long run)

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/25/2019 at 11:32 PM.
Unread 01/26/2019, 04:38 PM   #556
danromero87
Registered Member

How and what do you feed your copper band? I have one and I have to hand feed him sliced claims every day haha I don't mind it but when I'm out of town my wife gets annoyed.

danromero87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2019, 07:31 PM   #557
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danromero87 View Post
How and what do you feed your copper band? I have one and I have to hand feed him sliced claims every day haha I don't mind it but when I'm out of town my wife gets annoyed.
My Copperband was originally Trained in QT on MASTIC Powder Food that I rolled into Meatballs, and stuck to Clam Shell.

After going into QT, I continued with the Mastic which he still loves, but only gets a couple times a week.

However he got a taste of Frozen Food, like Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and Mysis shrimp and now goes crazy for the stuff.

Interesting that you mention Slice Clams.

I bought a bag of OMEGA ONE (Frozen Clams on Half Shells), since I heard Copperband like Clams.....
http://www.omegasea.net/products/nut...ams-half-shell
The Bag says for Big Fish (Piranha, Oscars, Eels, Groupers and Triggers, etc)...and no mention of Copperbands....

Clams are still in Freezer, Unopened, since I haven't have time to try.
I worry a bit, none of the fish will eat the Clam and it will polute my Tank.
So when I try it, I want to place somewhere I can Retrieve the Clam meat and Shell.

How do you prepare the Fresh Clam SLICES? Mount them? OR as you say....FEED THE SLICE BY HAND (I got to try that !!!) ?

Unread 01/26/2019, 07:56 PM   #558
Wally.B
Registered Member

Hey Daromero87,

You inspired me to try the Frozen Clam thing.

He wouldn't eat from my Hand, not used to that.
He wouldn't eat from the Mastick Feeder....

But the Clam fell off the Feeder.
And ONLY THE Copperband Went for it....

But DARN!!, the Shell got caught in the Current, Flipped over and went under the rocks.

JUST WHAT I didn't want.

Oh well, the Hermits will have a Feast tonight.

I have to improve my feeding method.

Unread 01/27/2019, 08:52 AM   #559
danromero87
Registered Member

Im sorry Wally.B , I didn't meant to be the cause of the lost claim shell. I'm glad to here you are able to feed him brine and mysis shrimp. while my copper band will eat both as well he isn't as fast as my other three fish in the the tank. I first fed him live blackworms which he took to right away. All of my fish loved them and I don't know what could be better for them then a living anything! however with the heat wave in California this last summer the shipment of the blackworm was halted for a couple months. I had to improvise, so I went the clam route. At first I bought the half clam shell which like you I had huge issues with regarding waste. Then I bought IQF pro salt select clam strips and now I manually sliced the clam in thin sheets. I 3D printed tweezers as no matter how often I rinsed my metal ones rust would show its self. My copper band will eat from the tweezers no problem. At this point he knows when its dinner time. by far one of my favorite fish. Plus the lack of aiptasia in my tank is due to him without a doubt .

danromero87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2019, 09:06 AM   #560
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
I like the Left Arch so much, I finally found another ARCH that fits to join the right side islands.

BEFORE (Adding 2nd Arch)

AFTER (Slightly tilting the Right Island TOP ROCK with Yellow Tubinaria Fused to it)

Video shows the new Rock Scape better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqqC_WoSAGQ

Now I got room to spread out the Frags (which are way too close for the long run)
Love it, Wally! And you are right, the video shows it off way better. After watching the video, I really think your scape is gorgeous.
Also, the corraline growth is crazy in your tank, and algae is non existent..
Very nice!
How’s acro growth these days?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/27/2019, 12:01 PM   #561
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danromero87 View Post
Im sorry Wally.B , I didn't meant to be the cause of the lost claim shell. I'm glad to here you are able to feed him brine and mysis shrimp. while my copper band will eat both as well he isn't as fast as my other three fish in the the tank. I first fed him live blackworms which he took to right away. All of my fish loved them and I don't know what could be better for them then a living anything! however with the heat wave in California this last summer the shipment of the blackworm was halted for a couple months. I had to improvise, so I went the clam route. At first I bought the half clam shell which like you I had huge issues with regarding waste. Then I bought IQF pro salt select clam strips and now I manually sliced the clam in thin sheets. I 3D printed tweezers as no matter how often I rinsed my metal ones rust would show its self. My copper band will eat from the tweezers no problem. At this point he knows when its dinner time. by far one of my favorite fish. Plus the lack of aiptasia in my tank is due to him without a doubt .
No worries about the Lost Clam (with Meat). I saw 3 hermit fighting over the meat right away. Very sure there is nothing left to polute the tank.

Interesting that you mean Blackworms. I wanted to try that in one of those grilled basket feeders, but I have found any Blackworms. They sell Frozen Bloodworms, but I don't think it's the same. I will keep looking.

I agree on your point about Copperband not being fast enough to get as much food during eating time. The other fish are faster, and my Tank has pretty high flow.

So to offset that I use a Gourmet Defroster.
https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Ma.../dp/B00XLYD5JA
Throw in a chuck of Frozen Mysis and walk away. It slowly dissolves and comes out the various holes.
The Copperband has an advantage over the other fish having a Long Snout.

The Defroser is easy to clean. (3 Parts) I only use the Bottom Half since the upper portion is just at the water line. The magnet is strong, and it doesn't look like an eye sore in the tank.

I will look into Bloodworm, and Slicing clam meat, (with Plastic Tweezers), since I want to give the Copperband more. (He could be more fatter)
NOT TOO Much, since you want him hungry enough to hunt for any Aptasi should any show up.
He is always busy poking around and eating something on my rocks (not sure what).

Unread 01/27/2019, 12:09 PM   #562
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Love it, Wally! And you are right, the video shows it off way better. After watching the video, I really think your scape is gorgeous.
Very nice!
How’s acro growth these days?
Thanks Matt. After Putting in that 2nd Arch (couple days ago), I actually really like the FINAL LOOK.

Most important thing (compared to past) is there is NO SPS DEATHS. Feels weird.

As all people say, Growth isn't as fast as I would want it to be. (but only on the Really Slow Growers)
But Tank is barely a year old (most frags 1/2 that), and since I have Really Good Flow, my Corals seem to be working on Encrusting first, and the ones growing....grow Slowly thick, vs thin and fast.

Another Really Weird thing (compare to last tank) is my Milli's have good PE. Last time with Soap all Milli's Died and NO SPS had much PE at all.

Colors are holding. And Sensitive Frags like Tyree Pacman, Strawberry Shortcake, Ice Fire Enchinta, moving along.

Here is one example:

All a Dream come true (if you remember last tanks struggles for 3 years or so)

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/27/2019 at 12:31 PM.
Unread 01/27/2019, 01:06 PM   #563
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Very nice!
Matt,

Since you mention No Algae in the Tank....

You may remember that in my OLD Tank, my DIY Algae Scrubber (Upflow) wasn't growing any Macro at all. We fooled around with Photo Period, and everything possible. Nothing helped.

With the New Tank, I switched my DIY Blue/Red LED Panel (8 LEDS) to one of those pre-made Plant LED Panels (red/blue) LED.
https://www.amazon.ca/Roleadro-Hydro...led+grow+panel

Of course the No-Soap was probably one reason, but after I put that Panel in, the Algae Scrubber has gone into Overdrive. Even at 12-14 hour PhotoPeriod.

This was the First Harvest after a Month

I have screens in the ATS (as a Guard filter to not allow macro loose-pieces to escape), but Macro hardly sticks to screen, and it comes out in Large Lump with Tweezer (like butter) for harvest.

It is now sustained, and I have to Harvest every 2 weeks (combination of a Stringy Macro, and Cheato)

Certainly what grows in Scrubber, doesn't grow in DT.

Last edited by Wally.B; 01/27/2019 at 01:11 PM.
Unread 01/27/2019, 01:15 PM   #564
reefmutt
Registered Member

I most certainly remember all the troubles you were having. It was a real head scratcher..
Very happy to see that super healthy Pacman and fuge!!
I’m happy for you that after all the work, it is finally paying off.
And be careful what you wish for.. fast growing corals just become a pruning problem more quickly..

Unread 01/28/2019, 09:58 AM   #565
sensei
Registered Member

Wally,

everything looks good.

I have always wanted to have a copperband buterflyfish but I have never passed quarentine. it has been difficult for me to train them to eat frozen. Any trick you learned for than?

Unread 01/28/2019, 11:04 AM   #566
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Wally,

everything looks good.

I have always wanted to have a copperband buterflyfish but I have never passed quarentine. it has been difficult for me to train them to eat frozen. Any trick you learned for than?
Hi Jeorge,

I have had 100% success in QT in 3 attempts on Copperband.
One Copperband got ICH but I Fully cured him doing TTM method (which you encourage me to do) THANK YOU!!

1 Died in DT only because I wasn't paying attention (thinking he was eating).

What worked for me (feeding) EVERY TIME IN QT was MASSTICk Food mixture.
I still use MASSTICK food in DT as a supplemental feeding (once to twice a week).

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/masst...asy-reefs.html

It is a powder food, that you mix with few Drop of RO. I actually add in Vitamins Like [Selcon, Kent Zoe, or VitaChem]. (But no Vitamins till they learn to Eat Masstick plain and learn the Feeding Station)

You roll up the Power/water mix into Tiny Meatballs, and freeze.

Then you stick the Meatball onto a Small Clam Sea Shell which is Natural Feeding for Copperband.

You simply drop the Shell into QT, and it will always fall UPRIGHT due to shape of Shell.

Copperband will smell it, and start eating after a few tries.

Before I learn the Shell Trick, I made a Mastick Feeder with a piece of Acrylic and some holes.

HERE IS VIDEO of the Mastick Feeder PLATE I made (and Coppernand eating in QT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkOFZZgeByY

HERE IS COPPERBAND eating Masstick from Shell in DT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLq8JjcaLkM

HERE IS COPPERBAND Eatting Masstick on a DIY Feeder STICK (since in SPS tank, I don't like throwing in Shells)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dISOzD0l7YA

Unread 01/29/2019, 10:06 PM   #567
sensei
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Jeorge,

I have had 100% success in QT in 3 attempts on Copperband.
One Copperband got ICH but I Fully cured him doing TTM method (which you encourage me to do) THANK YOU!!

1 Died in DT only because I wasn't paying attention (thinking he was eating).

What worked for me (feeding) EVERY TIME IN QT was MASSTICk Food mixture.
I still use MASSTICK food in DT as a supplemental feeding (once to twice a week).

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/masst...asy-reefs.html

Thanks Wally,
I will try this when I have the oportunity.

let me comment that now I am also doing preventive Velvet treatment with TTM and it is as follows:
4 ( four) TTM of 36 hours max
2 ( two) TTM of 72 hours max
with this protocol you treat fish for velvet and ich during quarentine.
In addition I also do prazi twice during TTM

I am happy TTM worked for you. super easy to do.

best regards
Jorge

It is a powder food, that you mix with few Drop of RO. I actually add in Vitamins Like [Selcon, Kent Zoe, or VitaChem]. (But no Vitamins till they learn to Eat Masstick plain and learn the Feeding Station)

You roll up the Power/water mix into Tiny Meatballs, and freeze.

Then you stick the Meatball onto a Small Clam Sea Shell which is Natural Feeding for Copperband.

You simply drop the Shell into QT, and it will always fall UPRIGHT due to shape of Shell.

Copperband will smell it, and start eating after a few tries.

Before I learn the Shell Trick, I made a Mastick Feeder with a piece of Acrylic and some holes.

HERE IS VIDEO of the Mastick Feeder PLATE I made (and Coppernand eating in QT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkOFZZgeByY

HERE IS COPPERBAND eating Masstick from Shell in DT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLq8JjcaLkM

HERE IS COPPERBAND Eatting Masstick on a DIY Feeder STICK (since in SPS tank, I don't like throwing in Shells)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dISOzD0l7YA

Unread 01/29/2019, 10:07 PM   #568
sensei
Registered Member

ups,
I made a mistake is last post.
I wanted to post the following:

Thanks Wally,
I will try this tips when I have the oportunity.

let me comment that now I am also doing preventive Velvet treatment with TTM and it is as follows:

best regards
Jorge

Unread 01/29/2019, 10:25 PM   #569
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
ups,
I made a mistake is last post.
I wanted to post the following:

Thanks Wally,
I will try this tips when I have the oportunity.

best regards
Jorge
Interesting Jorge,

How does the Extra (but Shorter) First FOUR 36 Hour (instead of 72) TTM help (specifically for Velvet)

I do all of my 5 TTM in 72 Hour Range.

And when you do Prazi, do you do it in TTM #2 and #4, or #4 and #6 ?

Unread 01/29/2019, 10:40 PM   #570
sensei
Registered Member

Quote:
Interesting Jorge,

How does the Extra (but Shorter) First FOUR 36 Hour (instead of 72) TTM help (specifically for Velvet)

I do all of my 5 TTM in 72 Hour Range.

And when you do Prazi, do you do it in TTM #2 and #4, or #4 and #6 ?
becuase of the life cycle of Velvet parasite, the first 4 TTM of 36hour will get rid of Velvet, and then the last 2 TTM of 72 hours to finish the ich treatment. Humble Fish is the one that game me this tip. I was thiking of doing Cloroquine Phosphate for velvet as preventive but he recomended the 4 initial 36hour TTM and it is easier and safer as no chemical are dosed to fish.

I used to do prazi on 2nd and 4th transffer when I was doing the 4 TTM of less than 72 hours.

regards

Unread 01/29/2019, 11:56 PM   #571
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
becuase of the life cycle of Velvet parasite, the first 4 TTM of 36hour will get rid of Velvet, and then the last 2 TTM of 72 hours to finish the ich treatment. Humble Fish is the one that game me this tip. I was thiking of doing Cloroquine Phosphate for velvet as preventive but he recomended the 4 initial 36hour TTM and it is easier and safer as no chemical are dosed to fish.

I used to do prazi on 2nd and 4th transffer when I was doing the 4 TTM of less than 72 hours.

regards
Well Jorge,
I just have started Day 1 of TTM. 1 Hour ago.

I got these Hardy Neon Gobies about a week ago. 4 of Them.
In QT there were perfectly Fine including Yesterday. All eating too.

Today I noticed ALL FOUR looked Fuzzy, and upon close inspection (photo), things don't look good.

Might be ICH or Flukes, so here we go again!!

At least I'm not doing Stupid things like Putting NEW Fish into DT anymore.

Unread 01/30/2019, 07:43 AM   #572
sensei
Registered Member

Quote:
Well Jorge,
I just have started Day 1 of TTM. 1 Hour ago.

I got these Hardy Neon Gobies about a week ago. 4 of Them.
In QT there were perfectly Fine including Yesterday. All eating too.

Today I noticed ALL FOUR looked Fuzzy, and upon close inspection (photo), things don't look good.

Might be ICH or Flukes, so here we go again!!

At least I'm not doing Stupid things like Putting NEW Fish into DT anymore.
Wally,
as you know fish stores have low copper concentration to avoid symptoms in sick fish. You are already quarentining them before introducing them to dt, so IMO you should start TTM the first day you get fish. anyway you can observe fish during TTM and avoid loosing time. with these 4 fish you already lost 1 week, and the problem is that when fish start to show signs of disease it could be hard to bring them back.

If I were you I would do prazi right away and if you can I would do the 4 initial TTM of less <36hours.

I never qt a fish with out doing the TTM and prazi protocol, it is so easy that it is not worth it.

best regards

Unread 01/31/2019, 12:07 AM   #573
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Wally,
as you know fish stores have low copper concentration to avoid symptoms in sick fish. You are already quarentining them before introducing them to dt, so IMO you should start TTM the first day you get fish. anyway you can observe fish during TTM and avoid loosing time. with these 4 fish you already lost 1 week, and the problem is that when fish start to show signs of disease it could be hard to bring them back.

If I were you I would do prazi right away and if you can I would do the 4 initial TTM of less <36hours.

I never qt a fish with out doing the TTM and prazi protocol, it is so easy that it is not worth it.

best regards
Jorge,
I did start PraziPro Last night.

However today, I did a Fresh Water Dip on all 4 Fish, just to see if it was Flukes (which they would come off).

Hard to say, but I think nothing came off that I could find in Dip Container.

But after Putting fish back into QT they do look MUCH better. Maybe the Prazi started to take effect, or the Fresh Water Dip gave some relief.

No harm done, and I will continue to observe for Possible Brook Disease.

Right now they are very active. Eatting very well (vitamin enriched food)

I have all these MED/Treatments available on Shelf:

-> PraziPro (Already Used over 24hrs)
-> API (General Cure)
-> API (Furan-2)
-> Seachem (MetroPlex) ** Could be used for Brooks **
-> Seachem (KanaPlex)
-> Seachem (ParaGuard)
-> API (MexlaFix)

At this point hard to say what they have. They are highly ICH resistant species.

One day at a time. I've had things spiral worse each day. Right now that is not happening.

Unread 01/31/2019, 06:59 AM   #574
sensei
Registered Member

prazi does most of the work in the first hour but you need to leave it 24 hours to be sure it does all the work.

Unread 02/07/2019, 10:13 PM   #575
Wally.B
Registered Member

I haven't got a Lot to show since Tank and Frags are young.

Here is one of my Original Frags that went in First. (Sorry a repeat, but it's starting to Speed up on growth)

Hard to believe an SPS Survived in my Tank 7 Months. Sensitive one too.