Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2019, 08:07 PM   #1
Runfrumu
Hi

Question on power compact ballast

Yes I know, I need to upgrade my fixture, but does anyone know a ballast that would push the 96 watt bulbs in the old current outer orbit? Im pretty sure when I replaced the halide ballasts that there were 2 PC ballasts and that one ballast pushed 2 of the PC bulbs.

I'm a novice with ballasts and such. I can replace them when I have the right stuff, but really dont know what's compatible with what and whats cross compatible.

Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon oceanic tank, Lighthouse Pro XLS, 72" outer orbit fixture, H&S 150-F2000/1 skimmer, H&S 110 Calcium Reactor, Tunze 7096, 2 Tunze 6105's , Tunze Osmolator, Prime 1/4hp drop-in chiller. 5 years running. Red Sea Max, 3 years.
Runfrumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2019, 08:18 PM   #2
mrtint
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runfrumu View Post
Yes I know, I need to upgrade my fixture, but does anyone know a ballast that would push the 96 watt bulbs in the old current outer orbit? Im pretty sure when I replaced the halide ballasts that there were 2 PC ballasts and that one ballast pushed 2 of the PC bulbs.

I'm a novice with ballasts and such. I can replace them when I have the right stuff, but really dont know what's compatible with what and whats cross compatible.

Thanks in advance.

I just took apart the coral Vue version about 10 minutes ago. It had (2) HQI medal halides (2) 96w power compacts and moon LED’s. I ripped it apart for the metal halides but this unit has (2) ballast in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2019, 09:21 PM   #3
mrtint
Registered Member

Forgot to mention. You can have the ballast. I will be throwing the rest of fixture away this weekend

Unread 01/14/2019, 10:12 PM   #4
Runfrumu
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtint View Post
Forgot to mention. You can have the ballast. I will be throwing the rest of fixture away this weekend

Thanks for the info. Im going to take it down tomorrow and see how many are in it, then just order double what I need so I'll have enough for when it messes up again. PC stuff is getting harder and harder to find. I've seen good reviews on the Fullham which is what you have.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon oceanic tank, Lighthouse Pro XLS, 72" outer orbit fixture, H&S 150-F2000/1 skimmer, H&S 110 Calcium Reactor, Tunze 7096, 2 Tunze 6105's , Tunze Osmolator, Prime 1/4hp drop-in chiller. 5 years running. Red Sea Max, 3 years.
Unread 01/17/2019, 08:23 PM   #5
Runfrumu
Hi

I'm not seeing a wiring diagram for the workhorse 5 and the 96 watt PC. I'll be using 1 ballast per bulb.

Do I use all 4 reds per bulb, or just 3. 2 reds to 1 red wire, and a single to the other, which would equal 96 watts if each red wire carries 32 watts.

Does the single yellow just hook up to the 2 blues?

Thanks

Unread 01/18/2019, 03:33 PM   #6
mrtint
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runfrumu View Post
I'm not seeing a wiring diagram for the workhorse 5 and the 96 watt PC. I'll be using 1 ballast per bulb.

Do I use all 4 reds per bulb, or just 3. 2 reds to 1 red wire, and a single to the other, which would equal 96 watts if each red wire carries 32 watts.

Does the single yellow just hook up to the 2 blues?

Thanks

I have no idea but here are pics how mine are wired

Bulb end

Whole ballast

Hope that helps