Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2018, 04:00 PM   #7226
afish70
Registered Member

i just tried to look up Modular Marine and their site says they're not taking any more orders. How do i get information on them?

afish70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 05:53 PM   #7227
dpstrand
Registered Member

I switched from a vertex omega 130 to a tunze 9410DC recently on my 130g cube.

I am very happy with the consistency and performance (and lack of overflowing!), however, it isn't all that quiet. Audibly it seems on par with the vertex. I don't think it's pump noise, it's more like the rumble of air being chopped up by the needle-wheel, at least I think.

Is there anything quieter out there that can still compete with the performance of the tunze?

dpstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2018, 07:49 PM   #7228
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afish70 View Post
i just tried to look up Modular Marine and their site says they're not taking any more orders. How do i get information on them?

They rarely have the website up. They sell on eBay but it says away for now and it happens like every other month.. I think he is small but get so many orders he has to catch up.. His prices are real good...

Unread 12/11/2018, 08:05 PM   #7229
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpstrand View Post

I am very happy with the consistency and performance (and lack of overflowing!), however, it isn't all that quiet. Audibly it seems on par with the vertex. I don't think it's pump noise, it's more like the rumble of air being chopped up by the needle-wheel, at least I think.

Is there anything quieter out there that can still compete with the performance of the tunze?
The 130 is a overflow monster. Pump is oversized for the skimmer in my opinion. Talk to Roger of Tunze he might be able to help.

Unread 12/13/2018, 06:25 PM   #7230
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpstrand View Post

my akula UKS 160 is silent . Sick skimmer! I've been meaning to do a review on the akula, but I have been battling dinos for a while now and have been a little disheartened lately with my reef. Corals and animals are fine but good grief the dinos!

9410 is normally a louder skimmer since the pump does'nt have any vibration cush due to the hard plumb at the side. they perform well though

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2019, 02:55 AM   #7231
Wind
Registered Member

Just picked up the Deltec MCE600 HOB and feel like it was a big mistake!

Bunch of micro bubbles, collection cup overfilling when not tweaked properly and when feeding frozen food and what not. Sheesh. To get it to skim, had to restrict air; but when you do, the outlet pipe just pours micro bubbles.

Big design flaw all around! And a big disappointment.

Anybody know how to remedy this? Has anyone actually downgraded the pump?

Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2019, 01:57 PM   #7232
Gabriel4192
Registered Member

question? what do you think about using two skimmers? I have a 220gallon display with 8 foot sump refugium 160 gallons.

Gabriel4192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2019, 09:27 AM   #7233
Crowed
Registered Member

Anyone try to make meshwheel from titanium mesh or something like that?

Crowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2019, 01:06 AM   #7234
Wind
Registered Member

Just got the Aquamaxx sump skimmer ws-1 and want to know where I can get a longer tubing to connect the safe drain from collection cup. I believe it's a 10MM inner diameter?

I also have the water line sitting at about 10.5", think it may be a little too much, so I'll try raise it up a bit. Right now, it's overflowing, even with the cup at the highest sitting.

Thinking of using egg crate to raise the height a bit? Thanks

Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atb, nw150b protein skimmer, vertex