Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Best all around coral food
Reef Roids 5 62.50%
Coral Frenzy 0 0%
Reef Chili 0 0%
Phyto Plex 1 12.50%
Other 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Rodeo_Roger
Registered Member

Opinions on best coral food

Looking into starting to target feed my corals now that they are really starting to take off. What does everyone feel is the best all around for coloration, growth, and polyp extension. SPS and LPS.

Last edited by Rodeo_Roger; 04/10/2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added info
Rodeo_Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 03:24 PM   #2
ramseynb
Registered Member

I feed diced up weenies and cheesewhiz. The great thing about the cheezewhiz is, I can put the tip right in a scoly or acan's mouth and squirt some in. I don't have to worry about it just turning into detritus and ending up in my skimmer!

Ten tickles!

Last edited by ramseynb; 04/11/2018 at 03:32 PM.
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 02:09 PM   #3
carrots
Registered Member

Be careful trying to feed to increase growth on your SPS. If you are getting good results now without feeding, IMO stay the course. In the past I was also looking to get faster growth and ended up throwing off my water quality which ended up slowing down the growth rate and increasing the growth of algae. As the saying goes "Nothing good happens fast in reef keeping." But then again I never tried cheesewhiz

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 05:47 PM   #4
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrots View Post
Be careful trying to feed to increase growth on your SPS. If you are getting good results now without feeding, IMO stay the course. In the past I was also looking to get faster growth and ended up throwing off my water quality which ended up slowing down the growth rate and increasing the growth of algae. As the saying goes "Nothing good happens fast in reef keeping." But then again I never tried cheesewhiz
Well, cheezewhiz is harder with SPS. I just take a toothpick and put a tiny dab of cheezewhiz on it and feed each polyp. It only takes a small amount, like the size of a grain of sand. Weenies are too big for SPS so I just stick with cheesewhiz and occasionally I'll mix in some juice from beef chili for an extra kick. IMPORTANT: DO NOT ADD BEANS TO THE CHILI! In Texas, the SPS do not like beans mixed in with the chili. Adding beans may result in RTN/STN or slow growth. I'm not sure if the SPS in other states have this problem though.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Googlymoogly
Registered Member

I prefer reef roids.

Googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote