Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2020, 11:46 AM   #1
jjencek
Registered Member

Does Red Sea NO3:PO4-X work without skimmer?

I have been having fun breeding clown fish. I now can keep over 300 of them surviving every two weeks, but it comes with a problem...

Keeping 300 fish quickly overwhelmed my breeding tanks. I have to do water changes every other day to keep nitrate down.

I was wondering if I could use NO3:PO4-X to help me with the Nitrate, but without a skimmer. Will it work without exporting skim via a skimmer?

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2020, 03:24 PM   #2
tiomm
Registered Member

Definitely needs good skimming. I would dose something like Microbacter7 daily instead. Also there's Special Blend and Nite-Out II from Microbe lift, that I use. Keeps my nitrates at 5ppm in my skimmerless nano.

tiomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2020, 10:43 PM   #3
BayReefer1232
Registered Member

I believe a skimmer is pretty critical to how it works... you need to export the bacterial biomass that feeds off NO3. If you're doing large frequent water changes however you might find success(since this is another way to export those bacteria).

BayReefer1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2020, 12:28 AM   #4
jjencek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiomm View Post
Definitely needs good skimming. I would dose something like Microbacter7 daily instead. Also there's Special Blend and Nite-Out II from Microbe lift, that I use. Keeps my nitrates at 5ppm in my skimmerless nano.
That is what I thought. I am now in Europe and I will see it I can find these products here.

Unread 11/10/2020, 12:31 AM   #5
jjencek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayReefer1232 View Post
I believe a skimmer is pretty critical to how it works... you need to export the bacterial biomass that feeds off NO3. If you're doing large frequent water changes however you might find success(since this is another way to export those bacteria).
Doing large water changes is what I have been doing just exporting the nitrate. I guess exporting the bacteria or the nitrate might have the same effect.

What I am trying to say is that NOPOX without skimmer might not add any benefit.

Unread 11/10/2020, 02:44 PM   #6
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Im dosing NOPOX regularly ea. day along with Cal & Mag. Yes you DEFINATLY must use a skimmer with it to export dead bio. It will double the skimmer output skimmate easily. Water changes are about hopeless when cornered with a nitrate issue NOPOX is the answer works FAST! And it saves you the grief of water changes, expense, and unnecessary labor, i now only do 1 water change per month & my SPS are as happy as it gets. Using NOPOX without a skimmer is asking for a mess fast in the DT.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2020, 12:09 PM   #7
zenzence
Premium Member

Nopox has proven to work extremely well in my experience but yes gotta have that skimmer working overtime !!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75 Innovative Marine /mixed Reef
zenzence is offline   Reply With Quote