Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2014, 04:29 PM   #276
Aquatic_Ape
Registered Member

Is there a person who could please direct me toward a reputable lfs in eastern suffolk county? I have read about the Tropical Island Aquarium crew in Deer Park thanks to this thread, but that is still a good 45 minutes away from where I am located. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Aquatic_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2014, 09:00 AM   #277
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Brian's in Rocky Point ( small)
Aqua Hut in Coram

Vinny Kreyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2014, 09:52 AM   #278
Aquatic_Ape
Registered Member

Thank you kindly for your response.

Aquatic_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2014, 02:05 PM   #279
Hoopz87
Registered Member

Caribbean blue aquatics in bayshore BLOWS AWAY every other store on the island. I literally stopped going elsewhere. Large selection of corals & fish & supplies, all for the best price around, it's located in bayshore on the south side of sunrise highway across from the mall

Hoopz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2014, 04:30 PM   #280
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopz87 View Post
Caribbean blue aquatics in bayshore BLOWS AWAY every other store on the island. I literally stopped going elsewhere. Large selection of corals & fish & supplies, all for the best price around, it's located in bayshore on the south side of sunrise highway across from the mall

I don't agree with this. all the sps tanks are always brown. the place was a wreck last year when the guy dom was ripping everyone off. since he got the boot and started working at country critters CBA has gotten cheaper, but I never leave with anything.

tropical island in deer park ALWAYS has great coral and fish. if they don't have it they are more than happy to order it for you. the staff is great, friendly, and they all really know what they're talking about. GREAT store!

Unread 08/27/2014, 09:27 PM   #281
Hoopz87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
I don't agree with this. all the sps tanks are always brown. the place was a wreck last year when the guy dom was ripping everyone off. since he got the boot and started working at country critters CBA has gotten cheaper, but I never leave with anything.

tropical island in deer park ALWAYS has great coral and fish. if they don't have it they are more than happy to order it for you. the staff is great, friendly, and they all really know what they're talking about. GREAT store!

This is a good store as well but the selection of corals is dismal compared to cba in bayshore, and the tanks are in pristine condition, have you been in there as of late?

Unread 08/28/2014, 03:39 AM   #282
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopz87 View Post
This is a good store as well but the selection of corals is dismal compared to cba in bayshore, and the tanks are in pristine condition, have you been in there as of late?

I stop in there at least once every other week, I never leave with anything. I wanted one of the RBTA they had and they told me it wasn't for sale last time I was in there. I looked at him like he was crazy and left. everything they have is either green or brown. if you want any kind of color you gotta goto deer park.

Unread 11/09/2014, 07:23 AM   #283
moneymm
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me what the best store within a 30 min drive of Massapequa is?

moneymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2014, 08:33 AM   #284
Iammatt219
Registered Member

Petswarehouse in copaigue, and tropical island in deer park

Iammatt219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2014, 08:51 AM   #285
moneymm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iammatt219 View Post
Petswarehouse in copaigue, and tropical island in deer park
Thanks I have been to pets warehouse. I will check tropical island too. U think live aquaria.com or these stores would have "healthier" fish

Unread 11/09/2014, 11:35 AM   #286
Iammatt219
Registered Member

Tropical island...though regardless of where you get fish it is always recomended to quarantine.

Iammatt219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 08:53 AM   #287
kiddbid
Registered Member

+1 to Tropical Island

kiddbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2014, 11:51 AM   #288
moneymm
Registered Member

great call on tropical island aquarium, best store i have seen so far in this hobby...

got my new phantom clown yesterday.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9425.jpg (33.3 KB, 49 views)
Unread 11/24/2014, 10:57 AM   #289
Bos Indicus
Registered Member

I heard that cba under new owner now , I went there for their halloween sale and after since i always stop by there. They have big reef tank in the front and all well stocked with corals and fish. Tropical island yes has very nice corals and so does av but for selection wise and choice and price i'd say cba has them all..

Bos Indicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 12:45 PM   #290
Hoopz87
Registered Member

Caribbean blue aquatics in bay shore hands down has the biggest selection Tropical island in deer park is good as well , but a tenth of the size. Both stores are maintained well. Country critters is hands down the worst run, most overpriced, dirty, store I've been to, and I've been to almost every store on the island. They're a disgrace and should be shut down for the things they try to pull

Unread 12/24/2014, 08:55 PM   #291
gbulloides
Registered Member

I too agree that CBA has one of the best (if not the best) selection on Long Island. The corals are priced a little high, but the selection is great and the fish in their tanks consistently look healthy. I've dealt with Steve on a number of occasions, and he has always been helpful and taken a lot of time to discuss aquarium setups with me, even though he had no guarantee of a sale. Country Critters has a good selection of corals, but their fish regularly have health problems, and they frequently carry stock that should not be used for home aquariums (e.g., mid-water fish, fish that will become much too large for anything less than 1000 gallons, etc.). I avoid CC as much as possible.

gbulloides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 12:30 PM   #292
Wsa721
Registered Member

Anybody have thoughts on Total Aquariums in Lynbrook?

Wsa721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 05:58 PM   #293
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsa721 View Post
Anybody have thoughts on Total Aquariums in Lynbrook?
Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a good little store. Prices are average.

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2015, 01:45 PM   #294
CoralOfDuty
Registered Member

ive got to give props to Caribbean blue. That store has been turned around. I always have a good experience when i go there now. the dudes who work there are extremely helpful. sometimes way too busy but when you get their attention, they are personable and good to deal with. keep it up CBA

CoralOfDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2015, 08:10 PM   #295
lrasser
Registered Member

agreed. Tony has done wonders with that store. Just wish they would get a better selection of SPS. two thumbs up!

lrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2015, 05:32 AM   #296
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralOfDuty View Post
ive got to give props to Caribbean blue. That store has been turned around. I always have a good experience when i go there now. the dudes who work there are extremely helpful. sometimes way too busy but when you get their attention, they are personable and good to deal with. keep it up CBA

I was in there a few times the past 2 weeks and I thought all the tanks on the left looked like absolute crap. I've also been denied twice when I wanted to buy something that "wasn't for sale" because they didn't know how to get it out of the tank. somehow they figured it out with someone else tho because both things were gone.

Unread 02/14/2015, 09:12 AM   #297
rtecanoe
Premium Member

The coral tanks on the left do look like they could use the glass cleaned, but the corals do look healthy. They've slimmed down their reptile selection and expanded their saltwater section which is good for us I think, but they will have to figure out the saltwater takes more maintenance. I too am hoping they expand a frag section. Hopefully they'll start buying some frags from u LIRA frag farmers to sell! Win/win situation!

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reef
rtecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2015, 10:09 AM   #298
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtecanoe View Post
The coral tanks on the left do look like they could use the glass cleaned, but the corals do look healthy. They've slimmed down their reptile selection and expanded their saltwater section which is good for us I think, but they will have to figure out the saltwater takes more maintenance. I too am hoping they expand a frag section. Hopefully they'll start buying some frags from u LIRA frag farmers to sell! Win/win situation!

idk all the sps was brown/white and not looking good at all. they added a few tanks to the far left that looked nice from far, but were covered with cyano when you got close. I have been very disappointed with both country critters and the place in bayshore lately. the small shop on 231 always has clean tanks, but they are a little on the expensive side. I have never been disappointed going out there.

Unread 02/24/2015, 04:28 PM   #299
MHG
Registered Member

I must stand corrected on Caribbean Blue Aquatics. I have not been in there since before the change in management. I stopped in there today. They had added a ton of tanks with lots of corals and clams at good prices. Changes out some of their crappy lighting and now stock some better dry goods.

The smaller tanks that are part of their big rack system still look like crap. Mostly filled with Dino and Cyano. They don't have any flow in those tanks and they are overcrowded with a ton of dead spots.

So good on them for stepping up their game. They just need to address some pricing issues and the older tanks and they will be good to go. For sure I am checking them out again...

Unread 02/24/2015, 09:18 PM   #300
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I must stand corrected on Caribbean Blue Aquatics. I have not been in there since before the change in management.

the old manager from CBA Dominic is now working at country critters