Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2015, 02:55 PM   #301
Hoopz87
Registered Member

I just got back from aqua hut and it is hands-down the worst store I have ever been to, the tanks are horribly maintained no coral, barely any fish and the workers looked like crackheads. I wouldn't recommend anyone go there for anything other than supplies. There is also a new store in Huntington called reef scape that I am heading to now

Hoopz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 03:25 PM   #302
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopz87 View Post
I just got back from aqua hut and it is hands-down the worst store I have ever been to, the tanks are horribly maintained no coral, barely any fish and the workers looked like crackheads. I wouldn't recommend anyone go there for anything other than supplies. There is also a new store in Huntington called reef scape that I am heading to now

yeah they have great deals on glass, but they never have anything live worth looking at.

I just came back from my usual trip up and down sunrise. I hit country critters then Caribbean blue and that was the last time I make that loop. I'll never go to those two stores again looking for coral/frags...absolutely terrible.

the only store I'll goto as of now for coral/frags is deer park. PLEASE let us know how the new store is!

Unread 02/28/2015, 05:07 PM   #303
Swizzle81
Registered Member

The folks at Aquarium Village in Westbury are really helpful. The tanks are clean and they have a nice selection of corals and fish.

Swizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 12:36 PM   #304
Hoopz87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle81 View Post
The folks at Aquarium Village in Westbury are really helpful. The tanks are clean and they have a nice selection of corals and fish.

I went there yesterday too! Amazing selection Clean Well maintained and helpful and friendly staff Big store too

Unread 03/01/2015, 12:38 PM   #305
Hoopz87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
yeah they have great deals on glass, but they never have anything live worth looking at.

I just came back from my usual trip up and down sunrise. I hit country critters then Caribbean blue and that was the last time I make that loop. I'll never go to those two stores again looking for coral/frags...absolutely terrible.

the only store I'll goto as of now for coral/frags is deer park. PLEASE let us know how the new store is!

You don't like Caribbean blue?! I think they have a pretty good selection of things. Hmm but I do agree about country critters Store is pretty terrible and not so helpful they'll do anything for $ The new store actually wasn't fully setup yet But it looks like a lfs on the smaller side like deer park, Which I also stopped at yesterday and got a flame hawk lol

Unread 03/01/2015, 03:53 PM   #306
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopz87 View Post
You don't like Caribbean blue?! I think they have a pretty good selection of things. Hmm but I do agree about country critters Store is pretty terrible and not so helpful they'll do anything for $ The new store actually wasn't fully setup yet But it looks like a lfs on the smaller side like deer park, Which I also stopped at yesterday and got a flame hawk lol

nope, hate that place. the last few times I left there empty handed. twice was because they told me something wasn't for sale (that really drove me crazy). deer park is solid for coral, I never bought a fish there but they tell me they'll order anything for you if you leave a deposit.

nice pickup with the flame hawk...I wish I had the balls to get one...I'm just nervous about my shrimp and other small fish.

Unread 03/03/2015, 12:41 PM   #307
thavngr98
Registered Member

Looks like there's another new place in South Huntington called Reef Scape (741-B WEST JERICHO TPK) Entrance is actually on Cold Spring hills rd. Its funny I pass by it every day when I drop my kids off at school and just noticed the sign today. Looking at their FB page looks like they just opened a week or 2 ago. Anyone been there yet?

Current Tank Info: .
thavngr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2015, 08:31 PM   #308
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

Any lfs in montauk area spending next few days out here.

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 12:50 PM   #309
ClownnGoby
Registered Member

I hear there is a new store called supreme reefs in northport area .. Haven't been there yet so I can't comment believe they have an online store also u can check out .. Cba and tropical island are my 2 favorite stores ..

ClownnGoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2015, 05:03 PM   #310
brewtus
Registered Member

I'm going to Take a trip to tropical island tomorrow I hope it's as good as I read in this thred

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2016, 08:58 PM   #311
CButkos
Registered Member

I really like Tropical Island, I got a pair of really nice sea and reef black phantom clowns, an ora orchid dottyback, and a hippo tang from them, basically all of the fish in my tank so far, I really like that they have captive bred fish, everyone there is really nice and seems like they love the hobby as much as we do, there is also a new place called Pet Paradise in Moriches, their fish room is small but they have some decent stuff, cardinals, clowns, puffers, triggers, and angels, one small frag tank. Prices on fish are good and the prices on supplies are REALLY good, I feel bad getting stuff from them sometimes because I feel like I'm getting over on them lol.

CButkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 03:41 PM   #312
louscal
Registered Member

lfs

just got back into the hobby and started going to cba in bayshore, staff is very nice pretty good choice of reef equipment and frags. looking to take a ride to deer park to see how they are in comparision, also agree that cc is a dump now a days as when i was in the hobby 10+ years ago it was the place to go...such a shame

louscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2016, 06:22 PM   #313
louscal
Registered Member

Stopped by Long Island aquarium I. Deer park and to say the least I was impressed with how clean there tanks were and the different types of frags they had. Will be costing this place more often

louscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 07:13 PM   #314
Tonereefny
Registered Member

Caribbean blue aquatics
1756 sunrise highway bayshore ny

Tonereefny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 09:28 AM   #315
Bananafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavngr98 View Post
Looks like there's another new place in South Huntington called Reef Scape (741-B WEST JERICHO TPK) Entrance is actually on Cold Spring hills rd. Its funny I pass by it every day when I drop my kids off at school and just noticed the sign today. Looking at their FB page looks like they just opened a week or 2 ago. Anyone been there yet?
I've been in there a few times, checking it out, but that was before I refilled my tank (been dry since Sandy). The guy has a storefront, but his real business is maintenance. He's got a lot of parts, if you need, and a decent amount of tank space. He does have some unusual fish -- not sure if any or all are for sale -- and I noticed a few interesting frags. Same deal with Fish Life on 110, but I think that store was opened and sold quickly because there was a major remodel done about 3 months ago and I don't recognize anyone in there anymore.

Haven't been to either for awhile. As I said, I've just refilled my 55, and since I'm still cycling I haven't been shopping. I don't want to be tempted to rush it

Bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 05:27 PM   #316
rpc07
Registered Member

Any new stores worth checking out lately? I'm off the next few days and don't mind making some trips. I've been to aquarium village and pets warehouse regularly.

rpc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 11:30 AM   #317
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc07 View Post
Any new stores worth checking out lately? I'm off the next few days and don't mind making some trips. I've been to aquarium village and pets warehouse regularly.
Those are my go to shops. I'm going to Aquarium Village as soon as I leave work to pick up some salt. Have you been to Pets Aquatic in New Hyde Park?

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 11:47 AM   #318
rpc07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post
Those are my go to shops. I'm going to Aquarium Village as soon as I leave work to pick up some salt. Have you been to Pets Aquatic in New Hyde Park?
Yeah me too aquarium village is my go to store, steve has always been super helpful. Pets warehouse is 2 blocks away from me I go there if I need something quick.

I read mixed reviews about pets aquatic if it's worth the trip I'll take a ride out there this weekend.

rpc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 07:16 AM   #319
Jetlou17
Registered Member

As far as CBA,I have had good luck with their corals,but as for their fish go,every one I have purchased from them didn't survive more than two weeks,I do love the place but I won't be picking up any more fish from them.

Jetlou17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 07:19 AM   #320
Jetlou17
Registered Member

What about BTJs?i stopped in there yesterday and they had a nice selection of corals reasonably priced,fish too..

Jetlou17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 08:35 AM   #321
Bananafish
Registered Member

Was in Fish Life yesterday. Nice frags, tanks look well maintained. They had a leak in one reef tank so the others are a bit crowded now. If my tank was ready I'd definitely pick up a few frags. They had nice flowerpots and hammers. Not too much SPS, but the ones they have look to be in good shape.

Not sure if it's worth a special trip for everyone, but if you're in the area you should definitely stop in. It's probably the nicest store in the area now.

Bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 10:08 AM   #322
FishyKat
Registered Member

I went to Pets Aquatics a few weeks ago to check it out. The guy tried his best to help (he even went on his phone to google answers).

Wasn't impressed with the coral selection (maybe I went when they didn't have much in?). Fish looked good.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal Reef
FishyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 02:54 PM   #323
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananafish View Post
Was in Fish Life yesterday. Nice frags, tanks look well maintained. They had a leak in one reef tank so the others are a bit crowded now. If my tank was ready I'd definitely pick up a few frags. They had nice flowerpots and hammers. Not too much SPS, but the ones they have look to be in good shape.

Not sure if it's worth a special trip for everyone, but if you're in the area you should definitely stop in. It's probably the nicest store in the area now.
Where's Fish Life?

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2016, 03:02 PM   #324
qy7400
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgenR8 View Post
Where's Fish Life?
South side of 110 across from the Walt Whitman mall.

Current Tank Info: 380G now with water and fish
qy7400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2016, 03:12 AM   #325
NS Mike D
Registered Member

I have nothing but good things to say about Fish Life. Super helpful service and the frags I picked up from them have all done well in my tank. Also, if they don't have what you want stock, they will go out and get it for you and let you know when it's in. There pricing is competitive - they check online pricing before setting their price and attempt to match it.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote