Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2018, 01:11 PM   #1
cjpitt80
Registered Member

New Tank Stocking Order And Compatibility

Hi all, I've just started my very first reef tank! I have a 75 gallon DT with a 29gal sump. I'm using the Current USA Marine IC Pro lights and wavemaker pumps. Return is Reef Octo Varios 6 and skimmer is Reef Octo Essence 130ss. I started the tank with 80 lbs CaribSea LifeRock (78ish lbs in DT, 2lbs or so rubble in fuge bottom). and 40lbs AragAlive sand on top of 40lbs dry Aragonite. I started the cycle 5 days ago with 8oz Dr. Tim's Saltwater bacteria and (2) 3in Marble mollies (or dalmation, got them from PetCo so who knows). Right now, just the mollies are in there. I haven't read any ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite yet on my test kit, so I know I'm not ready for any show specimens yet. For all the experts out there, My Wish Fish list is:
  • Pair of Ocellaris clowns
  • Coral Beauty
  • Yellow Tang
  • LongNose Hawkfish
  • Mandarin Dragonette
  • Watchman Goby

I also of course plan to get an invertebrate clean up crew and Anemone for the clowns. I do plan Zooanthids, some LPS and SPS (not too sure about what kinda corals I want just yet.) Does my fish list look compatible? Would I also be able to do perhaps a school (3 or 5) chromis if possible? (I've read conflicting info that they will school, or they will kill each other off 1 by 1) Also, what ORDER should I think about stocking this? From what I've been reading the clowns or Tang should be last, but what comes first? Also for the fuge, WHEN should I seed it with pods and macroalgae? Would it make sense to stock the system from the bottom of the food chain up, ie start with the pods the, goby/mandarin, then whatever comes next?

I kinda have an idea of what I want, just not sure how to start it off. I think the only MUST HAVE on the list is clown/anemone combo.

Thanks in advance everyone!

cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Joe0813
Registered Member

Coral beauty isn't reef safe, the hawkfish might pick off all your inverts and chromis will kill each other off until one is left . The Mandarin will be ok if you keep the pod population up in your fuge.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 02:22 PM   #3
tjm9331
Registered Member

I'd be hard pressed to believe that a long nose hawk would pick off all his inverts.

If he puts his clean up crew and any decorative inverts he wants in first then adds the hawk it will most likely be fine.

I've had a flame hawk with a bunch of clean up crew and a coral banded shrimp before and they were fine. I currently have a falco hawk and he isn't even remotely interested in my CUC and the long nose hawk has a smaller mouth than both of them.

I do agree however that the coral beauty could be risky, dwarf angels are a crap shoot when it comes to corals. You might get one that isn't interested at all or you could get one that likes to snack...a lot.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 06:41 AM   #4
scooter31707
Registered Member

IMO, I would not do the Yellow Tang in a 75 gallon. Maybe look at a Kole or Tomini tang for that size tank.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 09:00 AM   #5
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Coral Beauty is Out

Thanks for the insight guys. I've been doing more reading and it looks like the CB is pretty risky. I'll be swapping that out for a flasher wrasse or 2, as those seem to be more reef safe. Scooter, thanks for the advice on the kole tang. I like the look of it. The LFS will take back the yellow tang for credit once he outgrows the tank, so we'll see what I end up doing.

Regarding order of the stock, what do you guys recommend? From my research, I'm thinking seed fuge with copepods/macro algae first to get a good population going. Then the Gobies, Mandarin, Wrasses, Hawkfish, Clown pair, finally the Tang. Am I on the right track?

Unread 05/25/2018, 12:09 PM   #6
scooter31707
Registered Member

IMO, I still think that will still be too early for the mandarin. usually I think the recommendation somewhere around 1 year, plus you have gobies, wrasses, hawkfish that will also feed on some pods.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 12:57 PM   #7
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Yeah, I was actually thinking that as well. It seems as though there are 2 competing interests. 1) Ensuring the proper environment is set up for the inhabitants. 2) Taking into account inhabitants' behavioral norms. In scenario 1) Mandarin and gobies would be last to take advantage of a "well-matured" take with a full pod population. In scenario 2) Tang would be last since it seems to be the most aggressive and most apt to bully other tank mates.

I'm leaning towards scratching the wrasse or goby as a direct competitor to the mandarin for pods. Do people continually resupply pods in the fuge? Like get a standing order and every 3 weeks throw 1,000 in? Will the other tankmates bother the madarin if it is added last after the pod population matures?

Also, for the corals and other inverts..does it matter WHEN I add them? Do I have to add an anemone before the clown pair or does it matter?

Thanks again. Sorry for soooo many newbie questions, just trying to plan everything out in this new adventure. I'm a pretty experienced freshwater guy, but wow the reef world can be intimidating!

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
Unread 05/25/2018, 10:08 PM   #8
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm9331 View Post
I'd be hard pressed to believe that a long nose hawk would pick off all his inverts.

If he puts his clean up crew and any decorative inverts he wants in first then adds the hawk it will most likely be fine.

I've had a flame hawk with a bunch of clean up crew and a coral banded shrimp before and they were fine. I currently have a falco hawk and he isn't even remotely interested in my CUC and the long nose hawk has a smaller mouth than both of them.

I do agree however that the coral beauty could be risky, dwarf angels are a crap shoot when it comes to corals. You might get one that isn't interested at all or you could get one that likes to snack...a lot.

maybe my hawk went rogue... he killed all my snails

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 10:49 AM   #9
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpitt80 View Post
  • Pair of Ocellaris clowns
  • Coral Beauty
  • Yellow Tang
  • LongNose Hawkfish
  • Mandarin Dragonette
  • Watchman Goby

I also of course plan to get an Anemone for the clowns.

I think the only MUST HAVE on the list is clown/anemone combo.
The hawk, mandarin, and goby are IMO statues. add to that the relatively selective diet of two of them, I'd suggest dumping all three.

you sure those lights will be sufficient for an anemone in that deep of a tank? All I've ever heard about Orbits is they consistently underperform. YMMV

Also believe the safety measure of a coral beauty is over blown. Beautiful fish - I'd add one if you want one.

Probably wouldn't bother with a pair of clowns either. A single will be more neighborly.

Just read what I posted - man what a wet blanket.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2018, 06:37 PM   #10
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpitt80 View Post
The LFS will take back the yellow tang for credit once he outgrows the tank
I have a 150g and had a kole, yellow, sailfin and naso tangs in it. I planned on doing the same thing. Unfortunately my fish were all just killed by a velvet outbreak.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 08:43 AM   #11
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentini89 View Post
I have a 150g and had a kole, yellow, sailfin and naso tangs in it. I planned on doing the same thing. Unfortunately my fish were all just killed by a velvet outbreak.
Ouch! Sorry for your loss :-(
I'm only considering 1 tang for my 75er Maybe I'll get 2 in my 180 when I upgrade (after 5yrs of successful reefing, knock on wood ) For now, time for my very first fishies!

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
Unread 05/29/2018, 09:02 AM   #12
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
The hawk, mandarin, and goby are IMO statues. add to that the relatively selective diet of two of them, I'd suggest dumping all three.

you sure those lights will be sufficient for an anemone in that deep of a tank? All I've ever heard about Orbits is they consistently underperform. YMMV

Also believe the safety measure of a coral beauty is over blown. Beautiful fish - I'd add one if you want one.

Probably wouldn't bother with a pair of clowns either. A single will be more neighborly.

Just read what I posted - man what a wet blanket.
No worries on the wet blanket. I'm new and just trying to get the right blend of interesting fish that are compatible with each other. This wasn't too hard with freshwater. 1 thing I notice is there don't seem to be too many smaller fish that school together. Coming from the freshwater world, I like seeing a school of fish all over the tank. Interestingly, the 2 mollies I have in there now are never more than a couple inches away from each other.

I like the goby sand sifters, so I think I'll keep them. My plan now is to start a copepod population in the fuge so they actually have something to eat in the sand bed. I don't plan on adding the gobies until at least 2 weeks after seeding the fuge.

As for the Orbits, according to the PAR data from the company, it should work. From my understanding anemones move about to find a place they like the best, and I wouldn't plan on keeping it at the very bottom of the tank on the sand bed, somewhere in the middle of the tank, so we'll see.
Thanks