Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2018, 07:24 PM   #1
fuxxy
Registered Member

Someone suggest a sump for my build - details inside!

I have an established reef tank, about a year old.
120 gallon DT with a homemade 55 gallon sump. Glass tank with acrylic baffles.

My baffles in the sump are progressively coming loose. I think it's time to replace the sump with something professional.

My stand opening is 43 1/2 inches wide, 21 1/2 inches deep
I'd like to raise copepods, so a refugium is mandatory. The bigger the better.
I'd also like to run a calc reactor at some point.

Looking for suggestions for a replacement.

fuxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Superstan
Registered Member

Loose baffles

You could either drain your sump and reseal your baffles with silicone, replace the baffles with glass in which you would still have to reseal it with silicone or rebuild your sump with all acrylic and seal it with "Weldon" useing a 22 gauge applicator bottle. Weldon causes Acrylic to form a molecular bond and permanently fuses the Acrylic together. If over time you have a leak in your Acrylic tank or sump it can be easily fixed by using a little bit more Weldon. In my opinion Acrylic is always the best way to go. I am New to the hobby myself but as a stay home dad I have had the time to do a lot of research. Check out "The King of DIY" on YouTube. He has some great tutorials. Best of luck my friend.

Superstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Superstan
Registered Member

Loose baffles

You could either drain your sump and reseal your baffles with silicone, replace the baffles with glass in which you would still have to reseal it with silicone or rebuild your sump with all acrylic and seal it with "Weldon" useing a 22 gauge applicator bottle. Weldon causes Acrylic to form a molecular bond and permanently fuses the Acrylic together. If over time you have a leak in your Acrylic tank or sump it can be easily fixed by using a little bit more Weldon. In my opinion Acrylic is always the best way to go. I am New to the hobby myself but as a stay home dad I have had the time to do a lot of research. Check out "The King of DIY" on YouTube. He has some great tutorials. Best of luck my friend. You can buy Quality Acrylic cut to your desired specs at "EM Plastics".

Superstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 01:29 PM   #4
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

how about a trigger ruby 36? if it were me i would fix my baffles if the current sump is working for you.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 04:37 PM   #5
homer1475
Registered Member

King of DIY. LMAO

More like the joker of DIY. Some of his stuff is OK, but most of it is large, unsightly, and just plain ugly.

If the current sump works, drain it, and fix it with glass baffles. Of course if your looking to throw money away, building an obsession will build you anything you want in acrylic.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 06:39 PM   #6
fuxxy
Registered Member

I do not like my current sump.

It's too tall, and too tight to manage my skimmer.

I've read that acrylic doesn't like to stick well to silicone, and this is the third wall to separate from the glass and bust it's seam. It's also way too deep to properly put an ATO float.

Im honestly not looking forward to spending $1200 on a fully featured sump. (Lifereef CLF1) That's twice what I spent on the display tank!

fuxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 08:35 AM   #7
oldhead
Registered Member

BRS is having a 10% off select sumps right now.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 08:41 AM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

An Eshopps 30 could serve.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 03:39 PM   #9
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Why not build a new one? You could get a new 75G for about $200, used even less. Get some glass baffles cut and set it up the way you want. You could have a fantastic sump for less than $300. Even a 40B would be better than the 55 with it's 13" width.

Unread 05/25/2018, 06:47 AM   #10
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

40b and DIY