Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2014, 04:01 AM   #1
Spsonlypls
Registered Member

goniopora/flower pot coral care tips

thinking of stepping up my collection of corals and get a goniopora. i want some tricks that u gonio freaks know and how to sustain them. from my research i have learnt that goniopora need to be fed and to stay far away from the stokesi variety as they have a bad rep. Also goniopora seem to like nutrient rich water from what it seems like but i need specifications on nutrient rich as in detectable no3….? if this helps this is my current coral stock in my 125g

SOFTIES-finger,cauli and toadstool leathers,xenia,mushrooms,ricordea,zoas, gsp ,button polyps
LPS-frogspawn,two hammers(soft ball and football sized),open brain,acans, favites,torch,bubble , blastos,
SPS- monti
NPS- sun corals(black and orange)
and a huge squamosa and my RBTA

Spsonlypls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 05:41 AM   #2
hypostatic
Registered Member

By "nutrient rich" I think most sources mean that there is a good and steady supply of food for these guys. They feed on tiny zooplankton and phytoplankton. Here's a thread I created on another forum about their care

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/33992...-success-tips/

hypostatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 05:44 AM   #3
Spsonlypls
Registered Member

wow ty

Unread 04/08/2014, 06:10 AM   #4
discocarp
Registered Member

Here's a couple more good reads:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/10/aafeature2

discocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 06:37 AM   #5
jacksonpt
Registered Member

A very recent thread about this:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2391844

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2014, 12:44 PM   #6
ps1434
Registered Member

By an ORA goniopora. Our LFS has been selling them for over 4 years and only knows of one person that has lost one. I have had two for over 4 years and fragged my red one several times. ORA does not feed them and neither do I. My water is not nutrient rich and I would think ORA's is not either. Just my two cents.

Paul

ps1434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Duke4130
Registered Member

Reef Roids and Coral Frenzy are awesome for feeding gonis

Duke4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 01:12 AM   #8
Spsonlypls
Registered Member

wow.. that goni is beautiful.. and no feeding? thats something new

Unread 04/17/2014, 08:34 AM   #9
ps1434
Registered Member

I had a purple one next to my red and green ones and there was definite feeding reaction from the purple one from a lot of different foods including goniopower. I have never seen a feeding reaction from the ORA gonis. Considering ORA says they never feed them and have never tried and my from my experience I don't think you could feed my species even if you wanted to.

Paul

ps1434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 08:06 PM   #10
Spsonlypls
Registered Member

is gonipower really that good as some people claim ? i mean lets put a simple comparison of reef roids vs gonipower. which one does better.. reef roids was to me a good all round food.. but gonipower is more specialized right? enlighten me master.

Unread 04/17/2014, 08:13 PM   #11
hypostatic
Registered Member

I've only used goniopowder. My red/green ones don't show much of a feeding response to it (or much else for that matter). I think different species have different feeding requirements, and some need it much more than others. from what i've read, for feeding red

Unread 04/19/2014, 10:41 AM   #12
slgcmg
Registered Member

Anyone have issues with clownfish not leaving them alone? Could this be a cause of death for these guys?

Unread 04/19/2014, 02:56 PM   #13
hypostatic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgcmg View Post
Anyone have issues with clownfish not leaving them alone? Could this be a cause of death for these guys?
Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of clowns killing a coral that they've hosted in. They are usually way too rough for corals to handle

Unread 12/21/2016, 05:05 PM   #14
horwitzs
Registered Member

Quote:
My clowns loved snuggling in my flowerpot.
Only had this tank for a year but the coral showed no ill effects during that time.

Current Tank Info: 120g fresh, 150g salt.
horwitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2016, 05:28 PM   #15
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Nope

fwiw I ignore my goni and I've had it for 4 years now grown out from a tiny frag, the tank's gone through a lot and it's never minded. My water's usually pretty clean with near 0 nitrates, lately it's been pretty dirty since I took out the skimmer, either way the goni never looked different. It never gets fed and I don't dose anything for it because stability is where it's at for these.

imo people kill their gonis by tossing a bunch of stuff in the water thinking it's going to "feed" it when in reality all that unnecessary stuff is messing up the tank's stability. The idea that gonis need "nutrient rich" water is one of those myths that has probably killed far more gonis than it's "saved."

Unread 12/22/2016, 09:35 PM   #16
Reefer40b
Registered Member

One of my clowns seems to be hosting my green flower pot, flower pot always sucks back in when he touches it though, seems to not be a problem. Going to monitor hes only been doing it for about a month so will see. I feed reef roids and mysis chopped up, when they catch a piece the heads will fight with each other over it cool to watch.

Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2016, 07:53 AM   #17
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps1434 View Post
Buy an ORA red goniopora. et.com/albums/uu355/ps1434/CAM00160.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
This.

Unread 02/15/2019, 02:15 PM   #18
jmpng
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
Nope

fwiw I ignore my goni and I've had it for 4 years now grown out from a tiny frag, the tank's gone through a lot and it's never minded. My water's usually pretty clean with near 0 nitrates, lately it's been pretty dirty since I took out the skimmer, either way the goni never looked different. It never gets fed and I don't dose anything for it because stability is where it's at for these.

imo people kill their gonis by tossing a bunch of stuff in the water thinking it's going to "feed" it when in reality all that unnecessary stuff is messing up the tank's stability. The idea that gonis need "nutrient rich" water is one of those myths that has probably killed far more gonis than it's "saved."

jmpng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2019, 02:39 AM   #19
sacha
Registered Member

Hi there

We have had our Goniopora for about 6 months and at first it was super happy but slowly has started dying from the bottom up.
If has stopped receding but the polyps never come out any more.
We have moved it around the tank every couple of weeks to see if it likes a different spot with different flow and light but nothing seems to make it happy!
Everything else is the tank is super happy except it.

Please help! Anyone!

https://imgur.com/a/n27Zbqh

sacha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corals, goniopora, lps