Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2019, 07:13 AM   #1
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Angelfish question

I’ve had a female Spotbreast Angel (Genicanthus melanospilos) in my 115 gal mixed reef for almost 2 years. Great fish, well behaved, doesn’t bother any corals at all. I see the male for sale at LA. Could I add him without problem? I’m going to be re-aquascaoing soon with some things I bought at Macna. I thought that might be a good time to do it.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2019, 07:54 AM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

That's gonna be a little tricky because the female is already well established. She might let him enter her kingdom, she might not. I would definitely use an acclimation box to see how they interact before releasing him.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2019, 08:27 AM   #3
reefteaser

I was thinking that changing the rock scape would with territory issues, but is it enough? I guess I won’t know until I try, but the male is WAY more expensive than she was, so I’m hesitant.

Unread 09/14/2019, 12:06 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefteaser View Post
I was thinking that changing the rock scape would with territory issues, but is it enough? I guess I won’t know until I try, but the male is WAY more expensive than she was, so I’m hesitant.
Why not just get another female so that your current female turns into a male? It's definitely cheaper and chances for success are higher.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2019, 12:34 PM   #5
reefteaser

They do that? It’s happening with my Anthias now, but I wasn’t aware this fish would change. If so, I think it’s definitely better.

Unread 09/14/2019, 01:38 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

All Dwarf Angelfish can change sex from female to male. And Genicanthus are quite known to do so.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 09/14/2019, 01:55 PM   #7
reefteaser

Good to know, thank you! Getting another female will be cheaper and more fun then. Watching my Anthias change has been very entertaining.

Unread 09/15/2019, 07:26 AM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

Anthias change quickly in days. These angles take months to year to change so don’t think you see them change in a few weeks.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2019, 12:04 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Anthias change quickly in days. These angles take months to year to change so don’t think you see them change in a few weeks.
The morphological an color changes may take a bit longer but I don't think it should take that long for the dominant female to change into a functional male.

Unread 09/16/2019, 03:06 AM   #10
Big E
Registered Member

From a color/pattern perspective----------

My female bellus took months to change to a male as Orion stated. It was so slow I didn't notice it for quite some time.

I've had lyretail anthias start to show changes to a male in a few days.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2019, 01:10 PM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

My two female Watanabei took many months for one to start to change and takes months to finish. When during this time he become functionally male I don't know. I think they can revert from male to female also.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote