Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Reefme3
Registered Member

My New 350 Build

Hi guys.

Well this will be my 1st reef tank. I have been running a freshwater turtle and fish 90 gallon tank for about 1 year and 6 months. I have attached some pictures for you guys to see.

I have been studding and introducing myself to reefing for 6 months now and I finally decided to pull the trigger on Cyber Monday. Why Cyber Monday, well I saw so many of these expensive lights, pumps protein skimmer, etc. all on sale from 25 to 50% off.

So in early December I bought a 300 acrylic tank used on craigslist and transformed it into my sump. I measured and separated the areas just the way I wanted and separated and glued my baffles.

I have since brought in the tank and assembled the stand for the 350 above the sump.

I am now much farther along I just don't have pictures to show. Other than the pictures of my aquascaping, which I will post shortly.

Let me know what you guys think so far.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171216_190138.jpg (32.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 20171220_235557.jpg (41.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 20171221_204011.jpg (44.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 20171223_164042.jpg (45.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 20171224_140814.jpg (44.0 KB, 179 views)
Reefme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 03:17 PM   #2
marinelife
Registered Member

Welcome to RC, Looks like a good start. Will be watching this one!

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 03:19 PM   #3
Reefme3
Registered Member

I couldn't post all the pictures so I separated it.

Here are some pictures of my freshwater tank and the aquascaping I did this weekend.

Well that is 200lbs of 14" or large Pukani rock I purchased from aquacave. The rock is awesome, the center piece rock has to way over 40lbs and it is way over 24 on all sides. All rock I think came over 14".

I have 75lbs more of regular Pukani, not the 14"coming this week, to creat bridge formation to connect the large pieces. .

So far the rocks have been curing for 4 weeks.

Week 1 was plain water.

Week 2 I added chlorine to the water for 3 weeks.

This weekend I performed a water change and the smell of chlorine was not existent. The 1st week or 2 it had a very strong order.

I filled the trashcans up, put a heater and pump and dosed it with Seachem Prime to remove any traces of chlorine.

I got a call from my tank building and I have an estimated delivery date of February 28, 2018. Cant wait....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171203_192016.jpg (85.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 20171203_192154.jpg (69.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 20180106_134243.jpg (63.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 20180106_134246.jpg (80.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 20180106_134259.jpg (86.2 KB, 97 views)
Unread 01/08/2018, 04:03 PM   #4
Bono
Registered Member

The sump looks great but is there a way to remove it without breaking everything down?

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Reefme3
Registered Member

The sump will be permanently installed under the tank.

I was planning on doing the Triton Method so since I read that they recommend 10-20% size of the main display to be used as a fuge. I went with the largest possible fuge I could. My fuge is about 21% the size of the display.

There is enough room to service and remove pumps and protein skimmer, given it will be tight once everything is in place.

But I don't see a need to replace the fuge. Unless there is a catastrophic failure with the acrylic and it starts leaking. At which point I will have to hack it up and settle for something smaller that I can fit through the existing openings of the stand.

I am still debating leaving the protein skimmer in the freshwater top off chamber of the sump. The cabinet will be 2' longer at each side of the display. So I am contemplating moving it into the right side of the cabinet.

I already started the refugium in order to start cycling the sand and sump and I had my protein skimmer overflow and it dumped all the garbage into the freshwater chamber. I had to suck out all the water and fill it with fresh RODI. This is why I am debating moving the skimmer out of there. Not to mention it will make it all hell of allot easier to service.

I need to post updated pictures. I will take some pics tonight.

Unread 01/09/2018, 06:05 PM   #6
saf1
Registered Member

Looks nice. I'm sort of on the fence about boxing in the sump. Maintenance, leg, arm room, and what if something happens and you need to replace it or clean up just got 10x more difficult. Better yet what happens if you decide to stop Triton and do something else.

I like the wood and what not. You have good attention to detail for sure

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 06:14 PM   #7
PhishyRupert
Registered Member

Yeah, love being able to pull sumps out when needed especially for extensive cleaning

PhishyRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 07:53 AM   #8
McPuff
Registered Member

The rocks look great. In my opinion, you have to have large rocks to create a nice, aesthetic scape in a large tank. Looks like you'll have something nice. Definitely consider the worst case scenario when planning your sump and access to it. Whatever might happen probably WILL at some point. If you have the ability to have a remote sump, you will never regret it. That said, it would certainly work under the stand. I've done both ways but 100% prefer the remote version.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Reefme3
Registered Member

I considered the remote sump but I had too many concerns. The other wall in my living room backs into my garage. So I thought about installing the sump in the garage but then I would need to solve several issues. The most concerning was the temp differential between the house and garage. Summertime temps in the garage can get as high as 90 and some cold fronts can drop the temps to 40-50's. So maintaining a constant temperature would be impossible.

I would have had to partition off my garage and insulate the room where the sump would go. Maybe even install a window a/c unit.

Plus the garage is 3' below the finish floor of the house. So the pump will have to be upgraded for the added head loss or I could build another stand for the sump. Too many variable and I think my wife would not go for the garage conversion to a fish room.

The way it is now, the display tank will sit at 42" from the floor and extend 30" high. I can still be able to reach over the tank and the center of the tank will be at eye level +/-57". This still gives me room to fit my body between the top of the sump and the bottom of the stands structure.

Well latest update:
I got my 27 dollar full spectrum Chinese LED kits. I drilled two holes in the acrylic cover and siliconed the lens and the heat sink to it. This will make them waterproof from below. I also siliconed the inside of the LED driver to make it splash proof. Each LED is rated for 200 watts. I can fit a 3rd LED on the cover over the pumps which encroaches 1/2 way into the fuge. But I am not sure if 300 watts is an overkill for the fuge. With the size of the fuge maybe not, I am leaning to buying a 3rd. Any thoughts???

I also received 75lbs more pukani. I ordered these smaller in order to build more caves/bridges between the large boulders. The rocks I got are much bigger than I expected, I guess I will be chiseling them to get them to the desired size.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180109_215731.jpg (57.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20180109_215734.jpg (50.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20180109_215945.jpg (62.3 KB, 80 views)
Unread 01/10/2018, 10:28 AM   #10
Reefme3
Registered Member

Updated pics of the sump.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180109_215756.jpg (43.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 20180109_215805.jpg (58.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20180109_215821.jpg (61.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20180109_215834.jpg (51.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20180109_215840.jpg (53.6 KB, 89 views)
Unread 01/10/2018, 06:48 PM   #11
Samina
Registered Member

Following along on this one!!

Love the turtle tank btw.

I know you said you’ll still have space to service everything once up but will you have enough room to remove the whole skimmer if need be once everything is place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 08:46 AM   #12
ClownNut
Registered Member

man, make sure you try to take everything in and out the sump one more time.
i can't imagine how can you take that skimmer out of there.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 02:10 PM   #13
Reefme3
Registered Member

You guys are right. I can only take out the Skimmer cup.

I can service all the pumps internally, but removal of the skimmer is would not be possible.

It is an external/internal skimmer so I have the option .

This is why I was toying with the idea of moving it out of the sump and into the cabinet where the RODI filters are.

Unread 01/11/2018, 06:53 PM   #14
Samina
Registered Member

If that’s the case, then I think you are right and would be safer to put the skimmer in the cabinet with the RODI filter.

It will save you a huge headache if something needs to be adjusted or fixed on it after your up and running IMHO.

Samina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 08:55 AM   #15
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samina View Post
If that’s the case, then I think you are right and would be safer to put the skimmer in the cabinet with the RODI filter.

It will save you a huge headache if something needs to be adjusted or fixed on it after your up and running IMHO.

Yes, I agree with this. You could build a 6" tall tray for the skimmer to sit in. That way, if it leaks at all, you'll be fine. But you definitely want to make sure you can remove the skimmer if necessary. This would be one of those kick-yourself-in-the-balls moments and nobody wants to do that!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 11:10 AM   #16
Reefme3
Registered Member

Agreed. The skimmer is coming out.

When I originally installed it in there I was still planning on going only with an 8' stand.

But then started seeing that things were just going to be way too tight and since my hardware store only had 12' long lumber it was a no brainier to make the cabinet larger.

Well now I have to decide between the left or right cabinet.

Left cabinet will result in the skimmer pump and return picking up water after the fuge and depositing it in the pump chamber.

Or right side and getting water from the reactor chamber and depositing directly in the fuge.

In other words whats better? Skimmer before or after fuge. I know this is a very highly debatable topic, so I originally did it depositing directly in the fuge because I really had no choice of where the skimmer would fit in the sump.

Unread 01/12/2018, 03:04 PM   #17
TrojanScott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefme3 View Post
Agreed. The skimmer is coming out.

When I originally installed it in there I was still planning on going only with an 8' stand.

But then started seeing that things were just going to be way too tight and since my hardware store only had 12' long lumber it was a no brainier to make the cabinet larger.

Well now I have to decide between the left or right cabinet.

Left cabinet will result in the skimmer pump and return picking up water after the fuge and depositing it in the pump chamber.

Or right side and getting water from the reactor chamber and depositing directly in the fuge.

In other words whats better? Skimmer before or after fuge. I know this is a very highly debatable topic, so I originally did it depositing directly in the fuge because I really had no choice of where the skimmer would fit in the sump.
I think most people say before the fuge. My current sump, the skimmer is after the fuge, it just fits easier. I don't think it really matters, but that's just my opinion.

TrojanScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 03:53 PM   #18
saf1
Registered Member

@TrojanScott - I think it only matters if you are using dosing methods such as Triton. I think they have a "preferred" order.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 08:57 AM   #19
Reefme3
Registered Member

Hi guys,

Well here is a little update on the fuge lighting. I wrapped up the wiring on Friday and ran the lights all night Friday night to Saturday morning.

I had a little scare because the temp of the water was extremely hot 84.3 F.

Thank god no fish or livestock is in there yet, other than my chaeto ball but i don't think that affected it.

I thought it was the lights that may have heated up the water but thru the morning when I was trying to get the temps with fans and ice I saw that one of the heaters was intermittently turning off and on with the water temps still at 84.

I plugged in the heaters the night before because we were expecting a cold front. And I thought I had set all the heaters to 26c.

When I checked the temp setting of the one turning on it was at 29c. I thought I had set all heaters at 26c, but maybe I over looked this or had 1 too many glasses of wine. So I unplugged all the heaters and just waited for the temps to go down. By night they were down to 80.1. So I ran the lights again Saturday night and Sunday morning the temps stayed constant thru the night and it was still 80.1. Temps are still higher than I like to see at low 80, I will remove the heaters until they reach 78-79, but at least I saw that the lights were not the cause of the problem.

I will be troubleshooting and calibrating the heaters with a bucket of water thru the week to make sure they are properly dialed.

I also set up my biocube for the quarantine tank saturday. Since the main tank is about 6 weeks from arrival I thought it may be a good time to quarantine my 1st inhabitants for 2 months.

I put in a small bottle of bio spira with live rock and live sand to cycle the tank quicly and introduced the fish the following day.

I got 4 little clowns and a condylactis anemone.

On a side note. While at the pet store the guy there started trashing all the equipment I was planning on using.

He said the Jebao pumps are known to catch fire and he also said the Zetlight ZT-6800 are crap. The lights are only good if I wanted to grow algae he elaborated. Then tried selling me on eco-tech lights, pump, controller, wavemakers. I told him I would have to do more research. Didn't really appreciate him trashing the equipment and trying to sell me on thousands of dollars of the equipment he recommends.

I know the Jebao pumps may not be the best, but since I will be running two I thought I would be OK. But now that my wife heard they caught fire she wants to see them in the garbage.

As far as the lights, everything I see on them are good reviews. Not many reviews but all good stuff. I know they are budget lights but I think they should be ok for the tank. Anyone have experience the the Zetlights or Jebao pumps catching fire?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180113_172214.jpg (29.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20180114_070246.jpg (38.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 20180113_175538.jpg (48.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20180114_070434.jpg (41.1 KB, 47 views)
Unread 01/17/2018, 11:29 AM   #20
livingcolor
Registered Member.

It is wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefme3 View Post
Hi guys.

Well this will be my 1st reef tank. I have been running a freshwater turtle and fish 90 gallon tank for about 1 year and 6 months. I have attached some pictures for you guys to see.

I have been studding and introducing myself to reefing for 6 months now and I finally decided to pull the trigger on Cyber Monday. Why Cyber Monday, well I saw so many of these expensive lights, pumps protein skimmer, etc. all on sale from 25 to 50% off.

So in early December I bought a 300 acrylic tank used on craigslist and transformed it into my sump. I measured and separated the areas just the way I wanted and separated and glued my baffles.

I have since brought in the tank and assembled the stand for the 350 above the sump.

I am now much farther along I just don't have pictures to show. Other than the pictures of my aquascaping, which I will post shortly.

Let me know what you guys think so far.

livingcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 01:58 PM   #21
Reefme3
Registered Member

Just wanted to give you guys a little update since my tank is about 2 weeks from arrival.

Well I am sad to report I abandoned the DIY 100W LED low spectrum Fuge lighting. One LED chip went bad after 3 weeks and I purchased another 10 dollar chip. By the time it came from China the other ended up getting extremely dim and burnt out shortly after installing the replacement.

It seems that salt creep would make its way between the chip and the lens. Even after dismantling and doing my best to silicone and seal them they still managed to get a very thin white layer of salt so I cut my loses short and abandon the idea. It was good while it lasted but I ultimately decided my time would be better spent enjoying or improving my tank rather than spending 30 minutes to replace a chip every other week.

So I bit the bullet and went with 2 Kessil H380 for the fuge. I should have gone for 3 but I wanted to see how 2 worked out 1st.

Since my cheapo approach with the DIY lights did not come out as planned, I also decided to return the Zetlight and go with Aquatic Life Hybrid and 6 Kessil A360.

Since I purchase 6 A360's for the Aquatic Life Hybrid fixtures, I went ahead and installed 1 Tuna A360 in the center of the Fuge temporarily to see the lighting spread. I will buy another H380 after my credit card billing cycle renews this month.

I finally placed the plywood over the top of the structure. I also received my APEX and I am beginning to test it out and program the outlets. With all the amperage draw I am starting to realize that 1 x 15amp circuit will not do the job. I will be running another 15 amp circuit to power a 2nd EB832 Energy Bar.

Here are some pictures of the build so far.

I took advantage of the LED DIY project fans and strapped them over the H380 AC/DC adapter package. Those things seem to get very warm by morning time after 10 hours of night duty.

Painted the back wall behind the tank Deep Ocean Blue and finally put the plywood over the structure.

Testing of lights.

Also does anyone know what that wired little worm looking thing is growing in the fuge sand is. I just want to make sure my condy and/or cleanup crew didn't bring some unwanted organism into the system.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180228_203641.jpg (42.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180303_163541.jpg (44.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20180228_225354.jpg (35.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20180228_193614.jpg (23.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20180210_230412.jpg (38.6 KB, 36 views)
Unread 03/09/2018, 08:32 PM   #22
Reefer1991
Registered Member

4 clowns will most likely not work and you'll be left with 2. Anemones usually need to be in an established tank/stable tank, I doubt it will last in a tank that was "cycled" with bio spira the night before. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Reefer1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 09:34 AM   #23
Reefme3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer1991 View Post
4 clowns will most likely not work and you'll be left with 2. Anemones usually need to be in an established tank/stable tank, I doubt it will last in a tank that was "cycled" with bio spira the night before. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Funny, that you post this. But it seems that as soon as I read it I began noticing aggression from 1 of the clownish. Looks like she turned female and she started going at it with the two black clowns.

I had to relocate them to the fuge. Although I have been studying the hobby and for 6 months now, I am still a newbie and learning things the hard way.

Freeking pet stores, why would they sell you 4 clowns.

Unread 03/21/2018, 09:59 AM   #24
Reefme3
Registered Member

Talking

OK,

So tank arrived this past Wednesday, picked it up at the carriers on Friday and put it on the stand on Saturday. It took 12 guys to bring this monster in to the house.

I want to thank Lifetime Aquariums for all their help and patience in answering all my questions for the past 3 months while I impatiently waited for the tank.

I was really concerned about getting this 700lbs behemoth into the house, but Bob at LA was very reassuring and the 12 suction cups made it very manageable. It was allot easier than I thought. Thanks Bob and Lifetime Aquariums for making this possible. I have been bugging Bob with questions all this week and the customer service at LA can only be described as exceptional. I wont buy another tank from anyone else. They have earned by business for a Lifetime.

I had coffee and donuts waiting for all the guys at 8:00am. Everyone showed up by 8:45 and the tank was in its stand by 9:00am.

It took me all day to plumb the tank with help from a friend. We started shortly after 10:00am when everyone finished having breakfast and left. Thanks to all those that helped!!! Once everything is up and running I will invite everyone for a night of BBQ and Beers.

Now the fun begins.

Through the week I will be setting up the electronics, Apex (Settings), WAV Pumps, FMM (Leak & Flow Monitoring), light Aquatic Life w/ Kessils, Apex Controlled Heater, and much more I am sure.

I will be water testing the plumbing this weekend for leaks before filling it up.

Man I really hope there are no leaks, It was a pain in the to get everything hard plumbed with PVC. I ran out of patience (and space behind the tank) when plumbing the emergency overflows and just used braided vinyl tubing. May not be as pretty, but man it was easy. If I need to setup another tank up against a wall, I will be doing it with braided vinyl without a question. Now if there is room to walk behind (Fish Room) I will hard plumb it.

Hopefully I will get to start aquascaping this weekend, but my wife told me we have plans this weekend to do a few things, so I will not be able to dedicate a full day to this project. Maybe a few hours in mornings and at night.

This is what it is looking like.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180319_214409.jpg (50.1 KB, 29 views)
Unread 03/22/2018, 07:56 AM   #25
Reefme3
Registered Member

I began my aquascape last night and I got wrapped up with my work and by the time I ran out of glue I looked at the time and it was 12:30am.

I wanted to finish this up this weekend so I am buying more and having it shipped overnight so I can have it Friday night. I will get a good night sleep tonight and pull another long Friday night.

I would say I am about 70% complete. I believe the left side is complete. I still have about 60lbs of rock on the floor. These are all the smaller pieces to create ridges and bridges. I will start on the right side and work to the middle when the glue arrives.

I had laid the rock work out on a a 8' x 24" stand about a month ago and once I started gluing things in the tank last night I started changing a few things around and create more interesting shapes. The basic pattern and location of the large rock didn't change much but I was able to create more pronounced shapes and caves now that I am gluing things together.

What do you guys think of the work so far.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180321_225250.jpg (63.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20180321_225251.jpg (68.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20180321_225258.jpg (76.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20180321_225327.jpg (65.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20180321_225336.jpg (77.6 KB, 14 views)