Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 03:07 PM   #1
ninjamunky
Registered Member

I've been using my RODI system wrong

I bought my system used, didn't think I'd need instructions on how to use it. Then I read a post here somewhere mentioning waste water, and I'm thinking "there's supposed to be waste water"?

Could be part of the reason why algae is going crazy in my tank right now.

I thought that the other line was just there in case you wanted RO water. Now I just watched a video and you're supposed to have both lines open. And you get 4 gallons of RO water for 1 gallon of RODI water??? That seems like a lot of wasted water, might also explain why it takes days for me to get like 30 gallons of water.

Also I think the lines on my system are setup wrong. Right now I've got the water coming into the membrane filter first, but the video I just watched showed that as the 4th stage.

I'm kinda just venting right now cause I feel like an idiot, but I've also got replacement filters and resin coming in the mail tomorrow and I want to make sure I get it right this time.

ninjamunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 03:18 PM   #2
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky View Post
you're supposed to have both lines open. And you get 4 gallons of RO water for 1 gallon of RODI water???
Not quite right — actually you get 4 gallons of reject (or “waste”) water for 1 gallon of RO water. That RO water is usually then passed through DI resin to turn it into “RODI” water.

Unread 03/21/2018, 03:25 PM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

No worries. I learn new reefing things every day, it seems.

The system should flow like this:
. ...................................................................................... ->RO concentrate (reject water)
Feed water -> Sediment filter -> 1 or two carbon blocks -> RO
........................................................................................ ->DI

It depends on a few factors like temp, pressure, membrane, but you are right. Most systems produce a couple times more reject water than RO permeate. The DI cleans up the RO permeate to get zero TDS water.

FYI, a pressure gauge and TDS meter are good tools to have to make sure you have things functioning correctly.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers

Last edited by nereefpat; 03/21/2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: formatting
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 04:15 PM   #4
ninjamunky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
No worries. I learn new reefing things every day, it seems.

The system should flow like this:
. ...................................................................................... ->RO concentrate (reject water)
Feed water -> Sediment filter -> 1 or two carbon blocks -> RO
........................................................................................ ->DI

It depends on a few factors like temp, pressure, membrane, but you are right. Most systems produce a couple times more reject water than RO permeate. The DI cleans up the RO permeate to get zero TDS water.

FYI, a pressure gauge and TDS meter are good tools to have to make sure you have things functioning correctly.
Yeah, I've got a pressure gauge and TDS meter. I'm still kinda confused though. The filter I've got is the Filter Guys Ocean Reef +1, with an extra DI canister.

The only picture I could find online looks like how mine is set up. The "waste water line (the yellow one in the pic) comes out of the 2nd carbon filter.

That seems wrong though because if you have that line open then you aren't getting any water to the next stage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter_guys.jpg (94.2 KB, 57 views)
Unread 03/21/2018, 04:19 PM   #5
rocsec1
Registered Member

I have the same system. It is great.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 04:27 PM   #6
ninjamunky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsec1 View Post
I have the same system. It is great.
Is there any way you could post a picture of it? Specifically how all the lines are connected?

Unread 03/21/2018, 05:16 PM   #7
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I have a spectrapure rodi..basically all the same but diff manufacturers...anyway.. mine is set up like this..ill try and get a picture here shortly as well...

Maine water comes into the sediment filter.. then into carbon block 1 then it goes into the ro filter housing..

There are 2 lines coming off the back if the housing... one center.. one offset..
The offset is my yellow waste water line (it also has a water restrictor inside the line)
Center line runs into di canister I then 2...then out as ro/di water

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 07:08 PM   #8
rocsec1
Registered Member

If you pm me your phone number I will text one in the bay or so. Going to be pretty busy at work but I will get it for over the weekend.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 02:35 PM   #9
ninjamunky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsec1 View Post
If you pm me your phone number I will text one in the bay or so. Going to be pretty busy at work but I will get it for over the weekend.
Thanks, but I think I've got it figured out.

I found this pic online

Mine wasn't routed that way so I switched some of the lines around. The flow restrictor on mine wasn't in the line but was in one of the fittings that attaches to the canister for the membrane instead.

Unread 03/22/2018, 02:52 PM   #10
ninjamunky
Registered Member

The wierd thing is that I have this extra piece??? I have no idea what it is supposed to do. It has two ins and outs. I took it apart and it has this plastic and rubber piece inside. Is this some kind of flow restrictor as well?

Unread 03/22/2018, 03:07 PM   #11
Indymann99
Registered Member

Prob a float valve shutoff/bypass.

Does it look like the piece in the link below
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-...caAqa4EALw_wcB

Unread 03/22/2018, 03:20 PM   #12
ninjamunky
Registered Member

Yep, that's it. Except I don't have the float part.

Unread 03/22/2018, 05:07 PM   #13
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

It's an auto shut off valve & it should be marked IN & OUT.
On mine, the top (where it is labeled in & out) is the waste water coming from the membrane. The bottom, running in the opposite direction, is the product water from the membrane going to the next canister.

Unread 03/22/2018, 05:13 PM   #14
ninjamunky
Registered Member

Thinking about getting the 150 gpd upgrade for my system soon. I hate the thought of having so much "waste water".

Unread 03/22/2018, 05:17 PM   #15
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky View Post
Thinking about getting the 150 gpd upgrade for my system soon. I hate the thought of having so much "waste water".
I have it on my system and it's great.

You may want to consider getting a second TDS meter. I have one before the DI and one after. This way I know what my TDS of the RO water is as well as the DI (which ideally should be 0).

Unread 03/23/2018, 10:11 PM   #16
Indymann99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
I have it on my system and it's great.

You may want to consider getting a second TDS meter. I have one before the DI and one after. This way I know what my TDS of the RO water is as well as the DI (which ideally should be 0).
+1 on (2) TDS meters, one that measures pre AND post RO Membrane, and one that measures between the first DI and DI final output.

(note in picts below I tap off RO for drinking water/ice to 2x fridge)

IMG_1220******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">