Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2018, 04:13 PM   #26
EdgeN
Registered Member

Is it the Xenia or the fact that your taking care of it? Couldn't you just nip it in the bud and achieve the same results with the tank regardless? In other words, do the work yourself... KISS... Food for thought...

EdgeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 05:04 PM   #27
Valentini89
Registered Member

I say go for it.. it can always be trimmed. Also, I am going to be ordering a 150g tall in a few weeks. I was wondering if you could share your setup specs.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 05:29 PM   #28
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeN View Post
Kind of tricky IME. A weed, but then again I've seen them flourish right next to those sps corals. Hmm...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-0...ture/index.php

Super interesting article. Thx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
LauraGreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 06:35 PM   #29
JZinCO
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
H E L L NNOOOO
That is the worst weed of them all..
Agreed, these are the worst offenders.
There are varieties of xenia (and GSP) that spread super slow. A good example of slow GSP is Mike Paletta's 300 gal SPS tank. Problem is that some of these ideal xenia, like Bali if I remember them as slower growers correctly, are expensive. Hell, I think a general rule of corals are: the cheaper they are (xenia, monti cap), the faster the grow. And the faster they grow, the more oe needs to be purposeful about introductions.

I treat my anthelia like caulerpa. Keep in the sump, remove it here and there for export.

Someone can chime in but I think similar looking softies like cespitularia are slower growing. these might be a viable alternative for 'the look'.

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 07:18 PM   #30
Sk8r
RC Mod

Depends on your tank. In really good conditions it can take over like crabgrass---so can clove polyp and green star polyp, kenya tree, purple mushrooms and browns. Back in the day, it was pretty well all we could succeed with---and now it succeeds too well and becomes a pest that's really hard to stop. It fragments and spreads like mad. Plus xenia smells really bad on your hands, which indicates it's particularly good at the soft-coral 'chemical warfare' defense that can discourage other corals. If you really love it, power to you. But only if you love it a lot.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 10:23 PM   #31
jlmawp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentini89 View Post
I say go for it.. it can always be trimmed. Also, I am going to be ordering a 150g tall in a few weeks. I was wondering if you could share your setup specs.
I have found trimming to be pretty easy.

I have a spot in my tank where I placed a $2 pathetic little frag of xenia about 6 months back, and now it's happy, healthy, and moving its way down my rock constantly.

However, I can undo about 6-8 weeks of growth in about 2 minutes by plucking off the main stems of it. I keep it localized to the exact area I want with little to no effort at all. It's not as bad as some let on if you are willing to trim a little bit.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 08:08 AM   #32
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

I already have a green star polyp invasion! I’m gonna have to remove some of my rock to get it under control.

That’s why I’m trying to be more informed b4 I add new inhabitants.

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
Unread 03/16/2018, 08:27 AM   #33
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentini89 View Post

I think the only specs not in sig are kessil 360w x 2.

Don’t remember how many #s of live rock - a lot ? (sorry not super helpful). I’m preparing to aquascape vertically - wish I’d done this in beginning.

Also adding apex jr may1 (budget)

When I started 7yrs ago, didn’t even have sump. I move slowly, tank is very much still work in progress! 😊

Unread 03/16/2018, 10:25 AM   #34
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

After much googling of pics, I’m thinking torch. What I read says medium to low light? The rock I have in mind is lower fourth of my tank. Anyone w opinions on this, please share!

Unread 03/16/2018, 12:57 PM   #35
Hal
Registered Member

Nope. Just nope.

I had a small xenia frag cover all of my rock in my 150g. There is such thing as too much of a good thing, and this is a great example.

Unless you will prune it regularly, and keep a watchful eye for floaters, I definitely wouldn't unless you are shooting for an "all-Xenia" tank. Even then, I wouldn't do it.

Same for Kenya trees. I had to break down my tank to get rid of it.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 03:23 PM   #36
ihavecrabz
Registered Member

Listen to your sensai grasshopper!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ihavecrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 08:43 PM   #37
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I love xenia too... my girlfriend does as well...i started with a single polyp on a toadstool frag...within a few months...i had a basketball sized ball of xenia... that looked amazing... but I could see it spreading even further and faster...so.. I moved it all down to my fuge..49 gallon bowfront...100+lbs of rock...

It won't be much longer and that whole fuge will be one big pulsing psychedelic trip lol... I now have 3 or 4 different species of xenia in the fuge... I am looking for some silver xenia to complete my xenia multi species fuge

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 10:47 PM   #38
malfist
Registered Member

Avoid it at all costs. My partner liked the look of it and put it in his tank. About six months later we were fighting it as much as possible, wound up giving most of the live rock in the tank to the LFS and rebuilding the tank from scratch because how much it took over.

malfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 12:55 PM   #39
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Thx everyone! Long story short, there is now a beautiful torch in my DT.

Unread 03/24/2018, 07:02 PM   #40
Tall
Registered Member

I have some, I like it. But you have to stay on-top of it, and even then there is no guarantees it will stay isolated.

More then one occasion I've had it release, and attach it self to random locations in the tank.

However Keeping clean water really slows down the growth.

Tall is offline   Reply With Quote