Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2017, 04:45 AM   #1
AlexVFR
Registered Member

Exclamation Shadow Overflow

Hello all out there!

I am planning to get a Synergy Reef Shadow overflow for an 80g tank. I've seen some threads about it, but I couldnt read any experience after the installation. Although it seems for me the best option, with the one piece external box, but I would like to hear opinions from owners.

So, is there somebody who has it running? Any issues? Clogging?

Keep reefing

AlexVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Elricsfate
Registered Member

I have it, and it's been running for about 6 weeks. No mechanical or functional issues thus far. However, I have to say I like the heavier feel and construction of the 20 in overflow they make. The Shadow feels a little flimsy when you're trying to connect PVC to it. But it definitely works.

Just my two cents.

Elricsfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 05:54 AM   #3
AlexVFR
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! The 16 in would be good for me I guess.

AlexVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 11:44 AM   #4
ashish
Registered Member

I ordered the 16" ghost overflow. Price seems high at $160 but when you factor in the other overflows actually end up costing the same or more, its a good deal.
I also wanted something quiet, fail safe, easy to clean, and low footprint.

I can't wait to set it up!!!

ashish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 01:51 AM   #5
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Any other input fellas?

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
SoLiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 09:03 AM   #6
bobt2
Registered Member

am watching this thread. I want to buy one for my new 75. however, can I really use it when all I want is 2 1" lines to the sump? this almost seams like overkill. or do I change my sump to 1 1/2" drains? but I only have 1 1" return line to the tank.

bobt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 12:35 PM   #7
TUNDRA_85
Registered Member

I am in the process of setting up a 265. I am looking at a Reef Savvy 21" Ghost overflow. I believe it said it was good for 2000GPH flow. Would that be enough for a 265 with 75G sump?

TUNDRA_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 12:49 PM   #8
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt2 View Post
am watching this thread. I want to buy one for my new 75. however, can I really use it when all I want is 2 1" lines to the sump? this almost seams like overkill. or do I change my sump to 1 1/2" drains? but I only have 1 1" return line to the tank.
I think you'll be fine, you can use a bushing on the unions to reduce the overflow box drains lines to 1" (see video). That's what I intend to do. If you want to only use 2 drains (Herbie style) then just cap off the one of the unions so you can still have the option of switching back to using three drains if you change your mind later. I will also be drilling either a single 3/4" return or dual 1/2" returns, I haven't decided yet.

https://youtu.be/vXIllsPD8-w

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 01:44 PM   #9
mmonkey
Registered Member

I have an 16 up and running on a 55 gallon tank. It has been over with no problems. The system works as advertised. plumped correctly the system makes very little noise.

I would agree that the Shadow is very flimsy. I also found that the tolerance with the plumbing fittings made for a tough install. 1.5 PVC does not fit the U pipes or return box fittings as easily as standard over the counter fittings.

Maybe this has to do either a size patent or Intellectual Property?

I had problems getting the U fittings to fit on a 1.5 PVC. I went as far as purchasing two different brands of PVC from two different stores. Both did not fit. At this time I got the calipers out! With sanding I got the U fittings to slide into the PVC, but only to about an 1/4 inch in depth. The female fittings on the return box had the same problem. Inside the return box I could not get the PVC pipe to insert more then a 1/8 of an inch without filling like the flimsy box was going to crack. In the end I settled on wobbly fittings inside the return box. The fittings on the bottom of the return box had the same problem. 1.5" PVC would not slide into the fitting. do not try to dry fit these fittings. It will not work! Even with glue my return pipes did not bottom out in the fitting. Warring! Keep this in mind when measuring your tube lengths. My did not turn out how I wanted it because 1/4 remaining in the fitting. In my option the tight fittings sucked to deal with, but the system is working.

Tom

mmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 11:15 AM   #10
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Anyone heard of the Eshopps Overflow Box Eclipse - L. Im thinking that's the route I'm gonna go on my 37 Gallon Tall. The Shadow seems way too big for such a small aquarium.

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
Unread 03/15/2017, 11:40 AM   #11
LQT
Registered Member

On the Eclipse, make sure you mount the internal box as high as possible. The teeth are cut pretty deep on the internal box so you risk having the waterline below the plastic trim of the tank.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 12:26 PM   #12
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Ahhh good to know. Thanks LQT

Unread 03/16/2017, 10:29 PM   #13
ashish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt2 View Post
You should definitely get the overflow box especially if you want something quiet. I have 2 1" drain inlets in my sump and the overflow has 3 X 1.5 drains. I reduced the 2 drains to 1" into my sump. The emergency drain I hope never to use so I have it 12" above middle chamber. However you have to do it make it work as this overflow box will last a lifetime and be good for future upgrades.

Unread 03/16/2017, 10:32 PM   #14
ashish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLiD View Post
Anyone heard of the Eshopps Overflow Box Eclipse - L. Im thinking that's the route I'm gonna go on my 37 Gallon Tall. The Shadow seems way too big for such a small aquarium.

This is the exact same design as the ghost overflow so I am sure its just as efficient if plumbed the same way. 16" is not that much surface area to skim especially since the box is only few inches deep. good luck

Unread 03/17/2017, 07:09 AM   #15
iiismet
Registered Member

I have the eclipse L overflow box, it works well, but if I had known about the shadow one I'd have gone with it.
My problems with the eclipse: I have slight bowing in the part that is outside the tank on the back side after a little less than a year of use, and the lid just kind of sits in place

iiismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 10:04 AM   #16
JoeyBagadonuts
Registered Member

I have the 16" Shadow on my 75 gallon. Absolutely love it. I highly recommend it. Had to play around with the height of the non siphon tube to tune it but it's quiet now. As far as PVC pipes fitting tightly, DO NOT try to dry fit the pipe. Once you put cement on, it will slide easily up to the stop. They also say in one of their videos to bevel the edges of the pipes to help with fit, both on the internal and external. I saw this after I had already glued my external but had zero issues. I stayed with the 1.5" all the way to the sump. If I were to do it again I would probably reduce to 1". With an Eheim 1262 return pump I have the valve on the siphon at about 25%.

Unread 03/18/2017, 10:13 AM   #17
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

I own both 16" and 20" syndergy overflows. Great products, no leaks. The ghost seems very nice also

Unread 03/18/2017, 10:32 AM   #18
JoeyBagadonuts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQT View Post
On the Eclipse, make sure you mount the internal box as high as possible. The teeth are cut pretty deep on the internal box so you risk having the waterline below the plastic trim of the tank.
As to what LQT said, my tank has pretty thick trim on it and I had to mount the Shadow with the external box all the way up in the back with only enough room to squeeze the lid on it. And the water line is just high enough to not see it. I would not have been happy if the water line was visible.

Unread 03/18/2017, 06:41 PM   #19
Lsufan
Registered Member

I love these type of overflows but I would get as big of one as u can. It's not about the gph they can handle it's about the length of the internal weir to get as good of surface skimming as possible. I actually made one instead of buying one & I made the internal box 50" long on my 60" tank. I left just enough room on each end for my returns

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 02:18 PM   #20
tenpercenter
Premium Member

Old thread, are people still liking these overflows? I used the search tool but didn't see much in terms of recent opinions.

Additionally, if you were custom making a tank, would you go this route?

tenpercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 06:40 AM   #21
JoeyBagadonuts
Registered Member

I still love mine. I haven’t had to mess with it all except changing out the weir every couple weeks to clean. If I had gone with a different brand that didn’t have that removable weir, I would not have been happy.

Unread 01/27/2018, 09:33 AM   #22
tenpercenter
Premium Member

Nice, that's a win!

If you were custom designing a new tank would you use one?

Unread 01/27/2018, 10:32 AM   #23
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Got three of these overflows, of various sizes, across three tanks. They've all worked flawlessly. Current best practice in overflows.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 10:40 AM   #24
tenpercenter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Got three of these overflows, of various sizes, across three tanks. They've all worked flawlessly. Current best practice in overflows.
Thanks! This style or this brand specifically? What sticks out as the big benefit vs the traditional "in-tank" overflow?

Unread 01/27/2018, 10:49 AM   #25
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I'm using a 36" modular marine on my big 450, the eclipse large on my 120 refugium and the eclipse small on a QT tank. Smaller in tank profile, one larger overflow is ALWAYS better than dual corner overflows, much easier to implement high flow siphon drains ......

BTW, Leon is exactly right about mounting the internal skim box of the eclipse versions as high as possible. If you follow the supplied template you run the risk of seeing the water line below the trim. UUUUUgly.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
experience, overflow, owner, shadow, synergy reef