Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2017, 12:35 PM   #10376
mdhill0318
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bldavis1 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the hobby. I've wanted a reef tank for a while. I've been reading these forums for a few years now and getting to a place where I can get a tank. My plans are for a 120 gal reef tank with a couple fish. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but it's gonna happen soon.

Same here! I know I want to get started just haven't taken that leap yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdhill0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2017, 08:22 PM   #10377
tipman92
Registered Member

starting back into saltwater and hopefully reefs soon as well!!! Newbe for sure!!!

Unread 07/31/2017, 08:25 PM   #10378
tipman92
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipman92 View Post
starting back into saltwater and hopefully reefs soon as well!!! Newbe for sure!!!
forgot i have a 120gal acrylic with a 55 gal acrylic sump that im currently looking for a stand idea its 60"X 18" 24" aqurium and my sump is 40"X 16"X 17 " Any advice or plans be great

Unread 08/01/2017, 11:06 AM   #10379
DubhAingeal
Registered Member

New to REEF Central

Hi guys names joshua, new to the forums here. I enjoy Saltwater tanks and i have a 36g bow front i started for my wife to enjoy. i recently acquired a 120G tank and will be looking for guidance to build a sump for the first time. i used canisters for my 36g. i look forward to sharing and discussion with the community.

DubhAingeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 03:29 PM   #10380
cowpony18
Registered Member

Noob Here

Hi! Addie and Aaron Here,

So we have just stepped into this world of Saltwater! We have a 1 month cycled 46 gal tank with 30lbs of live rock, 2in of live sand and 2in of crushed coral. Currently we only have a pair of mocha clowns, clarkii, damsel, red hermit, and a blue hermit inhabiting our tank.
Eschopp sump system and a hang on back Reef Octo 100 protien skimmer...
We have a t5 lighting system over but are wanting to know what other lights there are out there that are good for coral that dont emit the heat that this t5 light emits.

Interested to learn about everyones lighting schedules and all the tips and tricks.

101 Saltwater Tanks for Noobs please....

How long does a Diatom bloom last?
What kind of pods are good for the tank and when can you start introducing them?
What is the best food for growth and color? We are currently feeding frozen mysis.

Current Tank Info: 46gal saltwater bow front, 55gal acrylic freshwater
cowpony18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 05:35 PM   #10381
dan93mendez
Registered Member

The Next Big Reefer

Hey there Reefers!

This is my first post, and most importantly my first reef tank. As a kid, I would always try to convince my parents to let me get a saltwater tank, and for a moment there I had convinced them to get me one, that is until my mom got a swarm of advice to stay clear of saltwater because "it's too complicated for a kid".I was then given a freshwater tank, 1 UGLY fish, some plastic rocks and no proper equipment. It was a sad childhood indeed lol.

Let me tell you my story, if you care to read on. I'm a bit of a story teller.

Now I am 24, I have an amazing job, and more importantly my own tank. I started collecting all the necessary equipment about a year ago when I walked into Saltwater Obsessions in Gresham, located right here in the great PNW. They had a beautiful display tank and before I knew it, I was a kid again running around looking at all the fish. As soon as I saw the corals, man oh man, I was instantly hooked. Most people start off in the hobby because of the fish, but for me, it was always about the corals. That same day I bought a 90 gallon tank, it was pretty beat up, but I sure do love a project. Filled with excitement, I took the tank outside into the parking lot, a few moments later, I looked at my 4 door corolla and realized, this tank isn't going to fit in my car at all. As I stood there confused, the store owner's buddy offered to take the tank to my house, I couldn't have thanked him enough. I spent the next few weeks sanding, painting, resealing and updating all the hardware.

Later on, I found out my apartment could not support the weight of a the 90 gallon reef tank, not including the sump I was going to add. About 9 months later I stumbled on a JBJ 45 Gallon Rimless tank for $150! These tanks are easily sold for around $700 and the only problem with it, was it needed to be resealed. I quickly jumped on it and drove about 2 hours to get there and another 2 to get back.

I spent the weekend working on the tank, about 12 hours each day trying to get this tank ready. Now the tank is resealed, cleaned and ready for rocks. I just ordered some dry rocks and should be here in about a week. Thank Bulk Reef Supply!

I am so grateful that I will be able to start reefing, after a year of hard research I think Im ready to get started.

Keep on Reefing!

dan93mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2017, 02:16 PM   #10382
dennisreffer
Registered Member

Brand new to this don't even have a tank!

i am new and do not even have a tank yet but would like to. there is a problem to that though i work as a deck officer on a ocean going ship and would be away from the tank for up to 8 months! is there a way i can have a reef tank and still do what i love to do?

dennisreffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2017, 03:51 PM   #10383
dzheng
Registered Member

Hey all, been in the hobby just over 6 months. Converted from freshwater over to salt and loving it so far. Always amazes me finding new critters in the tank. I am currently mainly interested in lps and softies. Nothing makes me more happy than seeing a tank full of happy corals Reef on!!

dzheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2017, 08:04 PM   #10384
JoeSalamone14
Registered Member

New to Reef Central

Hey everyone! My name is Joe and I am 18 Y/O. I have had my 40 gallon breeder (reef) set up for about 6 months now. I also just bought a 29 gallon biocube which is a build in progress, and i am looking to learn from all the mistakes I made with the 40 gal.

Saltwater aquariums have always been a part of my life. When I was young my father started a business that installed saltwater aquariums into peoples walls. We had a live rock curing station in our basement, and a 150 gallon tank full of all my favorite childhood fish from finding nemo

I am happy to begin this hobby on my own and learn many things along the way. The ocean is very important to me. From fishing to recreating a great enviroment at home. Thanks for letting me become a member of this awesome forum!

JoeSalamone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 04:56 PM   #10385
Garyd1981
Registered Member

New to reef central and saltwater fish keeping

Hey I am Gary I am new here and new to the saltwater aspect kept freshwater for many years but want to dip my toes into the saltwater game
Looking at getting a biocube 32 gallon due to limited space but adding a bashsea customer sump would love some input on what type of equipment to use would be great

Garyd1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 05:12 PM   #10386
Hambonej20
Registered Member

New and need input

Hi my name is Justin. I have a 29g biocube it is Completely gutted sump. Mars-aqua lights on top of stock lid. Rydor skimmer in first chamber on to filter floss carbon then live rock into my 3rd with the heater and stock pump. Lights are 100b/30w on timers 6-10a blue 8-8white 6-10p blue 10-6p dark. water is testing perfect been running about 8 months. Two clowns and a clean up crew. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hambonej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 07:38 PM   #10387
Keeks09
Registered Member

Talking New and confused

Hi my name is keyla, i just started my tank on 8/5/17 and have no experience with this but am super excited!

Keeks09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 09:51 PM   #10388
Silvren
Registered Member

Had no idea what I was getting into.

Hey everyone, I'm Jessa and so extremely new to this hobby. I have a 20 gal long tank that I started for a couple of hermit crabs I found at the beach and quickly became interested in my little saltwater aquarium and how to improve it; which has led me here!! ^_^

Silvren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 02:13 PM   #10389
cyyang
Registered Member

Hello

Hi everyone. With the help of the information I found on this site, I was able to successfully setup my first marine fish tank. Everything looks to be healthy and growing in the 3 months it has been setup.

My setup is an IM Nuvo 20 with twin stock Skkye LEDs, and Tunze skimmer and ATO, and nano stream. I have also added an additional return pump and installed the spin streams onto the output nozzles.

I am considering about upgrading the lighting, but seeing as the current inhabitants are happy and growing. I'm going to wait and see how much growth these Skyye LEDs can achieve.

Fish:
1x Clown fish
1x Yellow Coris Wrasse
1x Purple Dottyback
1x Coral Beauty

CUC:
2x Trocus snails
1x Red Claw Hermit
2x Blue Claw Hermit
2x Nassarius Snails
1x Mussel/clam (not sure, got it with a colony of zoas growing on it)

Corals: I don't remember all the names of the corals, but have a majority of LPS and a few SPS to test.
1x Nuclear Green Trumpet
1x GSP and a tiny (3 polyp) colony growing from a colony that died off
2x colony of Acans: one with 9 heads the other has a single large head
1x Frog spawn
1x Galaxea
4x Different colonies of zoanthids
4x Different mushroom colors/types
1x Ducan
1x Rainbow Monti
1x Green plating SPS
1x Green vertical plating SPS
1x Purple branching SPS
1x Pink branching SPSP

I'm interested to see what others have done with their IM Nuvo 20's.

I have a Fluval SpecV that I'm currently cycling and would welcome some upgrade options for that as well. I snagged a 20" Finnex Stingray for half off retail but read it may be inadequate for growing a reef. Experiences?

cyyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 02:58 PM   #10390
H8rM8ker
Registered Member

Hi guys. New here. I have a Biocube 32 and I love it. Had it about 6-7 weeks now. A pair of clowns, random snails and hermit crabs, 1 hurricane zoa, and a lavender mushroom. Just some advice to people just starting, nothing good comes from rushing a tank. Patience is key when it comes to these things no matter what you put in it. Also, do your research. I had a friend pretty much waste almost $700 on coral and fish since he didnt do his research and they all died and only to be left with a tank full of hair algae. Not fun and almost discouraging to start over but he did and now its been up and running 2 years. Anyways. Happy reefing!

H8rM8ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 03:09 PM   #10391
H8rM8ker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyd1981 View Post
Hey I am Gary I am new here and new to the saltwater aspect kept freshwater for many years but want to dip my toes into the saltwater game
Looking at getting a biocube 32 gallon due to limited space but adding a bashsea customer sump would love some input on what type of equipment to use would be great
I'm still fairly new to this, but I got the Coralife UV Light which I didn't turn on until the tank was fully established, the Coralife Protein Skimmer which i also waited to use. Also have a Hydor Nano Wavemaker. Forget which model but its rated for roughly that gallon size. BTW, the sump for this tank sits at the back of the tank. Not sure what a bashsea customer sump is. I bought 3 different types of filters and cut them up to fit in the media basket in the middle section and also use the filter that it comes with. I also have a JBJ heater as well. Almost forgot about that one. All said and done, the only thing that you really need to actually start off would be a heater. I feel like I bought a pretty expensive heater compared to the other ones available for this size tank but it was worth it in my opinion. I feel as I just rambled on. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

H8rM8ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 06:46 AM   #10392
Azabache75
Registered Member

Hello all

Just ordered a 32 gal coral life bio cube. I am anxcious excited and nervous All in one to start this after having fresh water tanks for over 20 years its time to upgrade... If any one has a bio cube and has upgraded the filter chamber please adviceon the best one that has worked for you and i will do more research. Thanks so much for any and all advise..

Azabache75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 07:32 PM   #10393
heron_beard
Registered Member

Helo guys, my name is HERON and I'm from Brazil, just start reefing, actually I just start my aquarium cicle, can wait to start really reefing.

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk

heron_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2017, 03:32 PM   #10394
mdhill0318
Registered Member

Hi I am also from Alabama! I am trying to start a group to get people together who are into this hobby..feel free to join then shoot me a message and let me know you did!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1846024415715273/

mdhill0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 06:34 AM   #10395
sherri4244
Registered Member

white and pink blobs

Hello all I am quite new to Marine Fish keeping and did have a smallish tank and have now gone up a size but wish I had gone bigger. Growing in our old tank was white blobs near the lights at the back but now they are at the front in the new tank because of a move around with the shape and a couple of days ago I noticed in a couple of places at the front two sets of two flat pink round blobs. Can you help me with what they are please. tried to insert a photo but cannot so if anyone can help they can email me on sherri4244@hotmail.com and I will send a photo thanks.

sherri4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 10:02 AM   #10396
Reefintheville
Registered Member

Hello everyone! New to the hobby. My son and I just got into it together. We are starting out on a Biocube 32 gallon and plan on doing a reef tank. I was wondering if you all could recommend some good books for just getting in.

Thanks!
Jason

Reefintheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 10:07 AM   #10397
Reefintheville
Registered Member

How everyone doing! Myself and my son are newbies just getting into the hobby. We have a Biocube 32 gallon and just on our second day of setting up. Can anyone recommend some good beginner saltwater aquarium, reef books. There are several on-line, but was hoping to find out the one everyone really likes before I order.

Thanks!
Jason

Reefintheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2017, 08:05 PM   #10398
admann99
Registered Member

Hello everyone, long time reader finally going to start posting. New to salt water but decades in fresh water. Started a 180 build a few years ago but had to abandon it before it was going, and now I am stuck at home with medical disability and have lots of time on my hands. so after a lot of thought I am going to do a 120 build. Going to take lots of time planning all aspects of the build and putting it together. I plan on filling it with water early 2018. S expect lots of questions and maybe me putting my 2 cents in here and there lol. well I would say wish me luck but I already know it will take time and patience more then luck, oh ya and money lol
Have to say thanks to all the great people on here who answer all the questions from us noobies who missed it the first ten times

Current Tank Info: planning stage of 120 build
admann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 05:33 PM   #10399
norcalfishlover
Registered Member

Hi everyone I am a first time saltwater tank owner FOWLR. I have ordered a 75g bowfront. I don't have much options in the way of LFS were I live so I have been depending on the only one in town. After reading many posts I am beginning to wonder if I can really trust what they are saying. I will probably be reaching out for lots of advise from you all.

norcalfishlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 05:06 PM   #10400
edoday
Registered Member

Hi to all. I'm not new to the site had to get out of the hobby several years ago and am planning to jump back in soon with a nano tank of some sort. Glad to be back.

edoday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral