Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2019, 03:35 PM   #1
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Co2 scrubber media went into tank

I use a co2 scrubber that recirculates through the top of my skimmer. Well the skimmer overflowed and sucked water through the co2 scrubber and sucked some media into the tank.

What reaction should I expect from this. The media is made out of calcium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

If you are correct about the composition of the media, then a pH swing should be your biggest concern. Watch the pH and have some vinegar on hand to lower it if you need. Try to vacuum/siphon out the media if possible.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2019, 11:04 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree. I'd check the alkalinity, too. You might need to do some water changes. I'd use club soda instead of vinegar, if possible, to avoid adding more organics. I'd watch for ammonia if the tank starts looking under the weather, and use Prime or something similar if there's a spike.

Unread 07/10/2019, 09:01 AM   #4
Ucantwin
Registered Member

My ph actually plummeted when it happened. Alk and calcium stayed the same but I notice my tank is cloudy since this happened.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 11:16 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

The cloudiness should go away over time. I am not sure why the pH plummeted, but if the tank is okay now, it's probably going to be fine. The current cloudiness might be affecting the alkalinity reading a bit, because the acid in the titrant might dissolve calcium carbonate particles, but it's hard to be sure.

Unread 07/17/2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Bpb
Registered Member

I’ve had that happen before. The air draw was so strong it was just sucking the foam into the co2 scrubber and eventually filled it up and fluidized the entire canister. Ph shot up to 9.5. I did a 40% water change and put on fresh carbon and shut off the lights. Obviously took the scrubber offline as well. Water was white as a Gallon of skim milk. 12 hours later and the water was clear and parameters back to normal. No fish or acropora loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote