Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2019, 05:07 AM   #1
MAquatic24
Registered Member

Best LED LIGHTING - SPS & Soft Corals

Howdy,

I’m returning to the hobby with 0.0 experience with corals. I’m purchasing a 150 gallon tank with following dimensions: 48” x 24” x 31”.

My plan is to have SPS & Soft Corals only. After researching online, it’s nearly impossible to know what best lighting options are.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I’m ready to purchase my lights. I would prefer LED.

Thanks in advance!!
Matt Eakin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAquatic24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 07:49 AM   #2
civics14
Registered Member

It's all up to your budget and how much control you want.

civics14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 07:59 AM   #3
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

General advice: you want 5W LEDs, not the smaller 1-3W LEDs.

Very specific advice: I have had 2 of the Onyx fixtures from RapidLED for going on 3 years now and other than a power adapter replacement and a fan cleaning they have been excellent and trouble free.

Unread 03/19/2019, 08:02 AM   #4
tom obrecht
Registered Member

All I can do is give you my experience. I have tried a number of LEDs through the last 5 or so. That being said I always went back to halides due to “issues” with LEDs (intensity, light coverage, disco effects, number of fixtures needed ect.). I have recently given up my halides as I have recently started a new build. Now I haven’t tried a large variety of LEDs. It I have tried a handful. I personally have gone with Radion fixtures. In my application I choose the XR 15 pros. Haven’t been happier! Great coverage, great color mixing and of course controllability waay being what I would ever be able to use! Corals have responded well and I’m now on the LED band wagon. Hope that helps.

Unread 03/19/2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

31" depth means either powerful lights or only softies past about 20" down.
Then there is the "coral warfare" scenario to consider.
Sanjay claims almost any LED will grow corals. Do you really need a storm feature? Never use mine, clouds either. ON OFF or an individually controlled color scheme?
Consider all these & eliminate any without the things you want. Budget will play a big part too.
I can say that Reefbreeder's & the T-247 lights work well for a middle of the road fixture.

Unread 03/19/2019, 08:41 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAquatic24 View Post
After researching online, it’s nearly impossible to know what best lighting options are.
And that trend is likely to continue

Unread 03/19/2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAquatic24 View Post
Howdy,

I’m returning to the hobby with 0.0 experience with corals. I’m purchasing a 150 gallon tank with following dimensions: 48” x 24” x 31”.

My plan is to have SPS & Soft Corals only. After researching online, it’s nearly impossible to know what best lighting options are.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I’m ready to purchase my lights. I would prefer LED.

Thanks in advance!!
Matt Eakin

As mentioned there is no best. Just options in different price ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 11:23 AM   #8
MAquatic24
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was looking at the Reefbreeders as one of my options. Not sure I want to do the clouds/storm feature. I would like the sunrise/sunset effect though.

Truly appreciate everyone’s time. Will make sure the wattage is correct and keep corals at 20” and higher!

Thanks again!

MAquatic24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 05:43 PM   #9
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAndPhysics View Post
General advice: you want 5W LEDs, not the smaller 1-3W LEDs.

Very specific advice: I have had 2 of the Onyx fixtures from RapidLED for going on 3 years now and other than a power adapter replacement and a fan cleaning they have been excellent and trouble free.
This is actually not quite correct. Majority of fixtures use 3W LEDs, some may use 5W as well mixed in with 3W. What you dont want is fixtures that are using 0.5W LEDs. Those ones can be used for very shallow tanks and really low light corals.

As others said, there are many choices. Thing is, all current 3W LED light fixtures will grow corals pretty much the same way. What you pay for is potentially better LEDs (debatable) and features that corals dont care about and do nothing for their growth and color. Corals dont care about sunrise/sunset, thunder/lightning/storm effects (these are good for scarring the crap out of fish though) they dont care about WiFi control and so on. All those extra features are for you and you only. If they are important to have, then look for fixtures that provide them, if they are not important, save money and get lower priced fixtures.

Just my 2C of course

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 06:08 PM   #10
Keepcalmreefon
Registered Member

I have the same 150 with the same dimensions. When I first started I went with the current USA and it was not powerful enough for coral at the sand bed. After going crazy on what lights to get I picked hydra 52HD 2 of them. The lights hang 12 inches above the water. I have had this light set up for about 4 months now and it’s been working out very well.

Keepcalmreefon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 12:43 PM   #11
marc111
Registered Member

I would recommend a hybrid T5 / LED fixture. You get both direct and difuse light in one fixture that is good for the corals. I can recommend the aqua life hybrid fixture. I haveseveral over mmy 6 ft l;ong 250 gal. Each has a pair of radion xr15s. This combo with their SPS+ profile on the radion sems to work really well and my corals are all growing like crazy. Also recommend a gyre pump for flow.
Mark

marc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 06:14 PM   #12
Yin_Yang247
Registered Member

Maxspect Recurve 90 LED Light Fixture
Suited for aquariums: 36" to 48" in length

The next evolution in LED reef lighting. The Recurve LED Lighting Fixture looks like it could really take flight, with its sleek aerodynamic body and adjustable flaps. This all-in-one LED system utilizes the latest in LED technology, including Cree XT-E and XP-E high intensity LED chips in combination with twin supplemental LED strips both containing 4 separate supplementing color channels, offering impressive performance, appearance and ultimate spread in one streamline fixture.

What makes the Recurve unlike any other LED lighting fixture on the market is its pair of side-mounted flaps fitted with High Output LED Strips which can be angled up to 30° inwards to adjust both light intensity and spread. The High Output LED strips house four independently controllable LED channels that can replicate most popular T5 color blends. Each strip is encased with a special diffuser to further emulate the appearance of T5s, just using LED technology!

Built-in Controller
With the built-in controller, there’s no need to buy any other additional controller just to be able to use your aquarium lighting. The built-in controller integrated in the Recurve features an OLED monitor and a control dial, from which user can easily setup all the functions for the fixture.

Standard or Grouped Mode
Two or more Recurve fixtures can be connected together to control them simultaneously - all grouped fixtures will follow the settings programmed, saving time and effort on setting up multiple fixtures.

Control with iOS or Android Devices (Optional)
The Recurve can be wirelessly connected to a Maxspect Connect ICV6 controller (sold separately), which allows the Recurve fixture(s) to be controlled by iOS or Android devices through the Syna-G app.

Features:
30° Adjustable Diffused LED Strips that Mimic Supplemental T5 Lighting
Ultra Slim Architectural Grade Aluminum Alloy Frame
On-Board Advanced Controller with OLED Display
Wireless Controllability with iOS and Android Devices*
Connect and Control Multiple Recurve Fixtures
Enhances Coral Growth & Coloration
Utilizes the 410/420nm Spectrum
6 Programmable Color Channels
Mimic Nature from Dawn to Dusk
Includes Tank-top Mounting Legs
*Note: Optional iOS and Android control requires Maxspect Connect (ICV6), sold separately.
Specifications:
Dimensions (LxWxH) = 35.4" x 17.5" x 4.6"
Suited for aquariums = 36" to 48" in length
3 x LED clusters each containing:
3 x Blue (470-480nm) - Cree XPE-2
3 x Royal Blue (452-455nm ) - Cree XTE
3 x Deep Blue (445-450nm ) - Luxeon-c
2 x Warm White (3000-3500K) - Cree XTE
4 x Cool White (6500-7000K) - Cree XTE
2 x LED strips containing:
54 x Epiled Deep Red (660nm)
54 x Epiled Cyan (505nm)
54 x Epiled Blue (480nm)
36 x Epiled Violet (405nm)
36 x Epiled Violet (415nm)
36 x Epiled Deep Blue (440nm)
Power consumption = 240 watts
Meanwell Ballast Irs-350-36
Input = 6.8A/115VAC, 3.4A/220VAC
Output = 36V / 9.7A

https://www.marinedepot.com/Maxspect...BoCTTgQAvD_BwE

Yin_Yang247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 06:34 PM   #13
Yin_Yang247
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/g2LBqtZoS0U

Yin_Yang247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 11:41 PM   #14
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Radion XR30w G4 fixtures are awesome! So are Hydra 52HD but I would go with Radions. You'd want 2.

Also... I would skip soft corals if you want SPS. It complicates things and there can be chemical warfare.

Don't forget to dip and QT your corals.

My advice when buying SPS. Trust NO ONE. Dip all corals, cut SPS from frag plugs and then reglue them to a new one. If the coral looks suspicious, has bite marks, has eggs, aefw, or nudis. Toss it. It simply isn't worth it.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 03/20/2019 at 11:47 PM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 01:48 PM   #15
houstonreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin_Yang247 View Post

https://youtu.be/g2LBqtZoS0U
Thank you

houstonreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 03:21 PM   #16
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Hi, if you are looking into the high end lights, I would first choose the Mitra LX7206 lights or the new Orphek lights, then the Radions. In that price range they are all very good lights, I just like the fact that the Mitra's use a parabolic reflector in their pucks, which is very similar to the reflectors used by M/H users. Thus you get a very large and even light spread, With no disco ball effect, and you do not need to use light diffusers or special lenses.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 10:14 PM   #17
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chromis View Post
Hi, if you are looking into the high end lights, I would first choose the Mitra LX7206 lights or the new Orphek lights, then the Radions. In that price range they are all very good lights, I just like the fact that the Mitra's use a parabolic reflector in their pucks, which is very similar to the reflectors used by M/H users. Thus you get a very large and even light spread, With no disco ball effect, and you do not need to use light diffusers or special lenses.
I second the Mitras LX7. Running for 3 years and have had no issues.

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote