Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2017, 05:05 AM   #26
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

I finally finished making RODI and filling my tank with saltwater. It took 10hrs and did this in 2 days. I'm not looking forward to this again when I have to do my 100% water change. What a mess and may be because it's my first time and I was measuring both the cans. In the end it's worth it. So here is what I measured

~47mins to fill 4.5 gallons ATO jug : 32Gallon Brute measurement with 4.5 gallons per fill. This is done for JBJ 45 so it actually helps with water changes.

ALL MEASUREMENTS are approximate, measured in INCHES and they are from top rim of the can

22.5 from rim-4.5 gallons: 10% WC
19.0 from rim-9.0 gallons: 20% WC
15.0 from rim-13.5 gallons: 30% WC
11.5 from rim - 18.0 gallons: 40% WC
08.0 from rim - 22.5 gallons: 50% WC
04.5 from rim - 27.0 gallons :60% WC

~52mins to fill 5 gallons : 20Gallon Brute measurements with 5 gallons per fill. For JBJ 45 this represents the following WC %

16.0 from rim - 05.0 gallons: 11.1% WC
10.5 from rim - 10.0 gallons : 22.2% WC
05.5 from rim - 15.0 gallons : 33.3% WC

I did not get the fittings for making a sight tube for water level. I will post those updates at a later time. Here is the only pic I took after filling and plugging everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishD@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 05:11 AM   #27
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

And one more thing: I plugged in the ATO, figured out the location, wired and organized everything and I'm LUCKY to have been watching this. Tunze Osmolator 3155 failed. It's not working. The pump stay on till it hits the high level. I think It is not detecting the magnetic sensor. This is Brand new out of the box and gone in 1hr. I'm so disappointed. I sent BRS a video showing what is happening. Hope I can work this out.

I don't know what's with me and BRS. 3 different scenarios of
Pukani gone wrong, RODI leaks and ATO does not work. First two are taken care of. Now waiting for 3rd one.

Unread 07/21/2017, 10:07 AM   #28
ZeroGz
Registered Member

Awesome build so far. Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the Tunze ATO. After doing a ton of research on what ATO system I wanted to use, I settled on the Avast Marine ATO. Seems very reliable. Utilizes a pressure switch which had great reviews and I ordered their diaphragm pump as well. May want to check them out.

What are you planning on using for an ATO reservior in the cabinet?

Thanks

ZeroGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 09:40 AM   #29
Devaji108
Registered Member

glad you got it filled! yeah making RODI water is not the funnest thing in the world but you will get used to it. I evap 1 to 2 gal a day in my 90. I have a 29H ATO res I carry 4 gal of water up a flight of stairs every few days. or a cpl at a time.

it takes me over an hr to get 4 gal. you can always add a float switch to the brute and let it run over night. and/or add a 2nd RO unit to the wast water of the 1st. I am thinking about that.

yeah I got a tuze ATO as well I find it so loud it nuts I been meaning to replace it for months and months guess I got used to it. I even got a replacement pump still the same. I aslo looked in to the avast pressure senor worth checking out.
I got the smart aqua nano for the up and coming 40br SH build if I like it I will get another one or the apex ATK .

BRS will take care of you. crazy you had issues with your order.
hang in there!

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 06:45 PM   #30
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGz View Post
Awesome build so far. Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the Tunze ATO. After doing a ton of research on what ATO system I wanted to use, I settled on the Avast Marine ATO. Seems very reliable. Utilizes a pressure switch which had great reviews and I ordered their diaphragm pump as well. May want to check them out.

What are you planning on using for an ATO reservior in the cabinet?

Thanks

Thank you ZeroGz. The link shows you what I ordered for my ATO reservoir and the pic is how it sits as of today

5 Gallon Plastic Hedpack with cap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064O8OYK..._ca.Czb59BSMMS

This fits with my JBJ setup and I have enough space for 2 of the 1 Gallon 2 part dosing containers from BRS.

Unread 07/22/2017, 06:55 PM   #31
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
glad you got it filled! yeah making RODI water is not the funnest thing in the world but you will get used to it. I evap 1 to 2 gal a day in my 90. I have a 29H ATO res I carry 4 gal of water up a flight of stairs every few days. or a cpl at a time.

it takes me over an hr to get 4 gal. you can always add a float switch to the brute and let it run over night. and/or add a 2nd RO unit to the wast water of the 1st. I am thinking about that.

yeah I got a tuze ATO as well I find it so loud it nuts I been meaning to replace it for months and months guess I got used to it. I even got a replacement pump still the same. I aslo looked in to the avast pressure senor worth checking out.
I got the smart aqua nano for the up and coming 40br SH build if I like it I will get another one or the apex ATK .

BRS will take care of you. crazy you had issues with your order.
hang in there!

Well they got back and were like this is how ATO operate. So I have been watching it since yesterday. It seems to be working fine. I am unable to post video but I know it was not. Well for now I'm fine and they were like send it for free and we will test and see if you need a new one.

For now the cycle is planned to start on Monday: hoping for a 4 week cycle or sooner. I will get Dr. Tims bacteria on Monday. Thanks again for the recommendation.

I'm observing the evaporation etc and yes I plan to make an ATO/ saltwater station with float valveS It's one time thing because I was measuring every 4.5 gallons. I don't have to do this again and I'm still working on the sight glass for my water changes.

Unread 07/22/2017, 07:00 PM   #32
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

So change of plans on my flow. Instead of MP10, I orders SW-2 and SW-4. I wanted to split my flow between 2 pumps an 2 MP10 was getting expensive. So for 110$ for 2 DC Controllable pumps, i pulled the plug and it was recommended by my local FS person. I've know him for 6years so went for it. Well it's a either a risk or it's going to work. I'll update.

Unread 07/22/2017, 08:07 PM   #33
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Btw i was referring to Jeboa pumps in my earlier post.

Here is Kessil in action. I couldn't wait for my mount. Just wanted to see how it looks over the tank...

Unread 07/24/2017, 11:29 PM   #34
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

The ammonia solution and bacteria got delivered today and the CYCLE BEGINS.. July 25th.. now it's tick tock tick tock.

Filled up the ATO, checked salinity, pH. I'll start monitoring ammonia every other day and nitrites in a week.

The plan now is to focus on observation tank and QT tank. Petco has 1$/Gal sale going on rite now. So I plan to get 2x20gallon high tanks and set them up in the next week or two. Also working on salt mixing and RODI strategy. Either a mixing station or a portable one. It's all about space management as I live in a condo. I'll keep those updates coming.

Unread 07/26/2017, 08:03 AM   #35
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Changes i did since my initial plan.
a. Wave Maker: Mp10 vs. Gyre. Went with Jebao SW-2 & SW-4
b. Pukani vs. Reef Saver. I ended up using Reef Saver.

Now working on controller. Need any experience on Apex vs. Reef keeper. I plan to add the controller in the next 2-3 months. I like the idea of investing now so you can always use it for bigger and better tanks later, but that also comes with changes to the technology. We change so fast that sometimes I think is it worth investing now in equipment for a later use. Anyway any input is appreciated.

Unread 07/31/2017, 01:50 PM   #36
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Update:

It's been a week since I started my cycling. Ammonia still at 2 PPM. pH is constant at 7.8 & Sal 1.025. I'm starting to see 0.5gallons of top off per day.

I'm thinking 1 more week before ammonia starts to go down. In the mean time my QT setup is coming along well. I'll upload pics soon.

Unread 08/17/2017, 09:29 PM   #37
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Update:

After 3 weeks of cycling the tank and NO lights I'm finally excited to see Nitrite readings. No other time in the hobby will make you happy if you see Nitrite reading except during fish-less cycling

After 4 days of daily monitoring, the readings are now @ 1.0 PPM. Roughly 2 more weeks before the cycle is complete. I plan to do 50% water change next week and add sand. I'll run lights ON after that. I just want to be done with the diatoms too before adding anything.

These 3 weeks gave me time to setup QT, tidy up the wiring, play with the placement of my Jebao pumps, made my screen top (and hang lights with the A series Kessil mount. I love the clean look of this new mount vs. gooseneck. Here are some pics. The pumps are placed on the back wall and to the corners. When sand is added I may change the placement again. More updates coming soon

Unread 08/18/2017, 12:04 PM   #38
Cesar357
Registered Member

Good thread. Following along. I'm so undecided. I recently took down a JBJ 28g nano cube because of a recent move. I have the option to set up that tank again with new equipment because it needed the 2 return pumps from the back chambers. I'm also thinking of updating the lighting. Took the hood off and I was thinking of using this Kessil light. But I recently ran into a very good deal. Marine Depot has this 45g tank with stand included for a great price. Price is too good to pass by. But I don't know what to do. I'm liking the space in this 45. It's 16g more than mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cesar357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 08:36 PM   #39
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar357 View Post
Good thread. Following along. I'm so undecided. I recently took down a JBJ 28g nano cube because of a recent move. I have the option to set up that tank again with new equipment because it needed the 2 return pumps from the back chambers. I'm also thinking of updating the lighting. Took the hood off and I was thinking of using this Kessil light. But I recently ran into a very good deal. Marine Depot has this 45g tank with stand included for a great price. Price is too good to pass by. But I don't know what to do. I'm liking the space in this 45. It's 16g more than mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you Cesar357. I had JBJ30 RL previously. I'd say this is a good upgrade. I got mine for a deal during Memorial Day from DrFosterSmith. 25% off. If you can wait for one more week, hey you never know.
I paid 465$ for tank and stand.

Unread 08/19/2017, 02:13 AM   #40
BlackburnD
Registered Member

Digging the aquascaping. I really liked the one that looked like it had a cove(?) in the middle.

BlackburnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 07:04 AM   #41
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackburnD View Post
Digging the aquascaping. I really liked the one that looked like it had a cove(?) in the middle.

Thank you BlackburnD. Yeah cove style it is. I'll be adding GSP to that and hope it will carpet that entire length.

Unread 08/19/2017, 07:34 AM   #42
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

So, here is my plan for what I want to keep as livestock and hope every fish is a superhero from Marvel and DC series. This is what I want but who knows what the wife wants. She can change any plan in a heartbeat.

a. Black snowflake Ocellaris
b. DaVini Ocellari
c. Firefish
d. Royal Gramma
e. Goby and Shrimp pair
f. Hoeven's wrasse
g. Flame Angle
h. Yellow or Bristletooth tang
i. Sunburst Anthias (if possible)
j. Crabs and Snails
k. 2-3 Shrimp

Corals are still TBD. Add softies and LPS first and then move to SPS. This is the plan for stocking slowly over the course of 6months.
Everything will be in QT for 3-4 weeks and corals for 6-8 weeks before going in DT.

Unread 08/23/2017, 09:29 PM   #43
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

And its here... my final toy and the biggest $$ for this tank. APEX. In a separate thread I got a lot of input about APEX & went with it. A big thank you for everyone with their recommendations. My next update will be how I plan to mount APEX.

Unread 08/25/2017, 08:11 PM   #44
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Update:

I needed to add sand after seeing nitrates, per my original plan. So did 30% water change, changed Carbon and added sand. This is Aragonite Reef Grade that I got from Marin Depot. Used 15lbs only and I think this works for aesthetics and not having to worry about detritus build up, ease of maintenance etc. I sloped it to have 1 inch in the back and 1/2 inch in the front.

I didn't rinse the and I was careful for the first cup and then I just dumped everything from the bag. My Skimmer went bonkers and in 5-6 hrs it was clear. By next morning it was very clear. Here are some pics.

First is immediately after adding
Second is after 3-4 hrs
Third is next day
Fourth and fifth showing side views with the slope
Sixth is the difference of before and after adding sand..

Unread 09/05/2017, 08:18 PM   #45
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Update:
I am finally seeing Nitrite @ zero for the first time in a 24hr period. I am almost there. It took 6 weeks to get here. Biggest factor was running my tank at 82F and it made a difference this last week. I'll monitor the tank for this entire week and see if the cycle repeats.

"Add 2 PPM Ammonia and measure after 24hrs for 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and x Nitrates". If this happens this week, I'll do my 100% water change and I'm done.

APEX update coming soon..

Unread 09/07/2017, 09:51 PM   #46
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

First off, 3 days in a row and I see Nitrites are also zero. If this continues I'll change Water this weekend and add 2 clowns next week.

Now finally to my APEX update. I'm still figuring out the mounting options. I started off by mounting it directly in the cabinet. I didn't want my 18month Old to mess with all the lights he is seeing. But it has to improve. Here is how it looks and what I plan to do. Goal is to finish the mounting over the weekend. I am waiting for one more module. Jebao to APEX adapter. Ordered it from Saltwateraquariums.com. Once that is in, I'll install and finish my APEX mounting. Here is what it looks like so far.

Dead center is the energy bar and head module, ATO on the right and Jebao controllers on the right. I added all probes in the return area. Used Innovative Marine Nano probe holder and all wires are bundled together using Velcro.

So from this to improvement. Here is the plan. Use this mounting board and use the hinge etc to make it easy for reaching behind the cabinet. MORE TO COME!!!

Unread 09/14/2017, 08:50 PM   #47
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Update:
I have been playing with APEX for some time now. I am yet to use the full potential on this device, but this is awesome. I will get DDR / DOS when I start dosing. At this point, all I needed to program was the Kessil and Jebao. Kessil was very easy. I went into the wand mode and made color/ intensity to match. I am running light for 10 hrs daily. As I am home after 4:30, I get to see most of the cycle. Here is the snap shot of the cycle with color and intensity overlay.

Now the Jebao. The module for Jebao to APEX was plug and play. I configured the Variable speed ports 3 & 4 for each pump. Made multiple profiles. Night, Dawn, Wave, Dusk and surge modes.
Here is the program for the outlet/ Variable speed port and an example profile for Wave_L.
This works for me so far.

Outlet Program:
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Time 08:30 to 02:30 Then ON
If Time 02:31 to 08:29 Then OFF

Pump Program:
Set Night_L
If Time 08:30 to 11:29 Then Night_L
If Time 11:30 to 13:29 Then Dawn_L
If Time 13:30 to 18:59 Then Wave_L
If Time 19:00 to 20:59 Then Dusk_L
If Time 21:00 to 02:30 Then Night_L
If Output Timer_Jebao1 = ON Then Surge_L1
If Output Timer_Jebao2 = ON Then Surge_L2
If Output Timer_JebaoL = ON Then ConstantL
If FeedA 005 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF

Wave_L Profile:
Name:Wave_L
Synchronize: Enable
Divide by 10: Enable
Initial Off Time: 0
On Time: 240
Off Time: 240
Minimum Intensity: 0
Maximum Intensity: 60

My surge waves kick ON when outlet 1 and 2 are ON and they are ON for 5 mins at 80% and 100% intensities respectively. Here is the timing.

13:30 – 13:35 – Surge1
14:00 - 14:05 – Surge2
15:30 - 15:35 – Surge1
17:10 – 17:15 – Surge2
17:40 – 17:45 - Surge1
18:45- 18:50 – Surge2
19:45-19:50 – Surge1

Unread 09/14/2017, 08:57 PM   #48
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Now to the livestock. I finally added 2 Ocellaris yesterday. So far so good. I plan to stock 2 more this month and hold for sometime.

Extreme Blackice & Orange Blaze. I'm uploading some pics. Will get SLR pics soon. iPhone doesn't justify any pics of fishes or Coral.

Unread 10/03/2017, 10:26 PM   #49
FishD@ddy
Registered Member

Build update:

Its been 3 weeks since my last update:
I say I'm done with the build part of it. As the tank matures and once I get tired of Manila dosing I will add Neptune DOS. For now I have 3things..

A. APEX mount is complete. I will refine it further but I'm happy with how it looks as of now and this is my first build and an AIO system.

Before:

After:

Added ten bracket and hinges to access additional cables. Added tripplite power strip
With individual controls and connected my return pump and reactor to one outlet. Saved me 2 more on the EB82. Changed the Jeabo controller from 2 to 1 with the apex adapter. I should be good without having to add anymore power strips.

B. Organized my cabinet with in the space I have.

C. Fishes and Corals!!

I added the following
2 clowns
1 Tridacna clam
1 Duncan
1 Frog Spawn
1 Hammer
1 Not sure which one : Favia or Favties

1 RBT Anemone. It settled in one spot so far for the last 1 week. The clowns won't host and I'm not going to force it. It has to happen naturally. I'm thinking once that once they see other fishes they may go to the anemone. Let's see.

Will upload more as the tank progresses.

Parameters are in check so far. 20% WC every 2 weeks. Checking for Alk every other day and rest every week

Cal: 420
Alk: 9
Nitrates : 5
pH: 7.7-7.8
Sal : 34 ppt @ 78.5 F/ 1.025 sg
Phosphates: Salifert Kit say zero. I am planing to get Hanna soon
Temp: 78-79 averaging 78.6

Not a lot of dosing at this point. Water change seems to keep things at check. I dose 10ml of Soda Ash 2 times so far and that's it.

It's exciting and nerve wrecking to make sure everything is good. LOVE THIS HOBBY.

Happy reefing guys!!

Unread 10/11/2017, 09:19 PM   #50
chrisv
Registered Member

How do you feel about the Aquamaxx 1.5? I got one recently and its incredibly loud.Produces skimmate...but man...loud...

chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbj 45, mixed reef, new build