Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2015, 05:04 PM   #1
joeang
Registered Member

New to seahorses

I have a 60gal cube and I want to make it a seahorse tank. I was wondering what is the best way to setup to tank to aid in seahorses survival rate. I was wondering if anyone has pictures of their seahorse tanks aquascape. Any info would also be greatly appreciated.

joeang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 07:28 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

Seahorses have some special needs as compared to other fish. Before you begin your build it would be a good idea to do some research first. I did not do my research my first time with seahorses and it ended badly for the seahorses. It was so painful for me that I didn't consider seahorses again for 10 years.
One source of good info is a free online course offered by Ocean Rider. Another source is Rayjay's thoughts on seahorse keeping.
Seahorses do best in water temperatures 74 degrees or lower to help control dangerous bacterias. They also need Xtra good water quality. An oversized skimmer can aid in that. It's important to faithfully maintenance any equipment that can trap detritus since that can breed dangerous bacteria. A turn over of at least 10Xs is optimal for seahorses with places to hitch in high, medium and low flow areas. They like to choose.
Seahorses have some special needs but they are very charming pets. Best of luck to you!

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2015, 01:04 PM   #3
joeang
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info, and I will do the research as per your suggestion. I don't want to have any seahorse die due to lack of knowledge on my part. The tank is in the basement and that is where it is going to stay till I am comfortable starting the new hobby. Thanks again for all the info

joeang is offline   Reply With Quote