Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2018, 08:25 PM   #26
DancingShark
Registered Member

Update. My 250 gyre was getting very loud. I took it out to clean it and discover one of the end bushing was worn out.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Luckily I was able to track down the original package and I found some replacements.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is installed.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I was pretty ****ed when this happened. It's been over 4 months since installed. But upon research they say to give maintenance every month for maximum life. The bushing cost about 3 bucks each.
I'll give maintenance every month from now on and see how long this things last.

I'll still buy a gyre today if I could do it again but hopefully this will help people know about the monthly maintenance I didn't know about.

DancingShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 08:31 PM   #27
DancingShark
Registered Member

Did not know that the synonym for very upset is censured. Sorry.

Unread 02/24/2018, 10:56 PM   #28
Cancun
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingShark View Post
HI all.
This is my tank. I love sitting and looking at the tank for hours at night after work. It just relaxes me and I can see all the work I have done.
[IMG][/IMG]

It has been up since January 21. I had some red algea here and there it was because I was over feeding reef roids a bit. But it has cleared up now. The green algea have seem to clear up as well.

Everything was done by me from knowledge gathered online. Drilled a overflow. Two return pumps. Sump in the basement. Had stock florecent light. Then given PC lights, they did not cover the whole width of the tank that I'd why there is only green in the center
I recently got leds because wife wanted the neon she see's at the fish stores from the corals. I do 20percent water have every two weeks.

I plan on getting 2 clown fish, a purple tang, a fox face, hippo tang, kole and some fire and a sandshifting goby.
This is a 125g tank and all fish will be entering the tank a month or month from each other beacuse of quarantine.
I am really scared of ich and velvet.

I found this in a coral dip I did.
Can some one ID this thing.
[IMG][/IMG]

All I ask is from what you see here and what I have said. What advice can you guys give a newbie like me. Thanks in advance.
Hi there! You tank looks great so far. Any new updates on how things are going?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL

Last edited by Cancun; 02/24/2018 at 11:03 PM.
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 08:33 AM   #29
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Looks like your standard bristle worm to me. Some people like them, some don't. I have never worried about them and they are free members of the CUC.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 09:36 AM   #30
DancingShark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
Looks like your standard bristle worm to me. Some people like them, some don't. I have never worried about them and they are free members of the CUC.
Yeah. At this time there is a ton of them in the tank. They don't seem to bother anything so I don't worry about them.

Unread 02/25/2018, 10:32 AM   #31
DancingShark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancun View Post
Hi there! You tank looks great so far. Any new updates on how things are going?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Nothing major to report. Everything seems to be going great. I am getting good coral growth. I have nothing to compare it to since this is my first reef tank. I am only dosing Mrs wage pickle lime like Sk8r recommended on my top off water.
Thanks Sk8r.

Ill just post before and after pictures.

I have had this hammer a little over 6 month now. When I bought it it was 3 heads at most.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is about a month ago.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I got most of this August.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 02/25/2018, 10:33 AM   #32
DancingShark
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 02/25/2018, 10:33 AM   #33
DancingShark
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 02/25/2018, 10:47 AM   #34
DancingShark
Registered Member

Got this back in November.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

This is my dosing equipment lol
[IMG][/IMG]

This is the latest full tank shot I have on me. I was taken about a month ago.
[IMG][/IMG]

I am thinking about buying ATO and dosing pump.

Any questions or advice please feel free.

Unread 02/26/2018, 01:49 AM   #35
Reefiez
Registered Member

i notice your MG reading 1560. is it with the red sea magnesium pro test kit?

the RS magnesium test is a little different, as you want to stop at the blue color the FIRST time you hit it.

you can check out their video, at the 4:35 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MofaqM-I6uM

the blue color goes back to purple if you wait too long, which was a mistake i made when i first used the RS magnesium test kit, so i added too much titrant and ended up with higher MG readings than i really had.

Unread 02/27/2018, 07:54 AM   #36
DancingShark
Registered Member

Thanks mate. I watched a lot of videos when I was looking for info on how the test kit worked. I'll keep this in mind next time I test again.
Ill post results on parameters too see if dosing kalkwasser only have been enough. I dropped my water changes from biweekly to monthly 30g changes as well.

Unread 03/04/2018, 12:05 PM   #37
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Need a full view of your sump area but if you're still looking for a simple ATO I'm very happy with the peristaltic pump and level monitor from Avast. The level monitor is a pressure tube. Peristaltic is definitely the way to go if you are considering adding lime to the ATO. I use 2.5 TSP and 45 ml vinegar per gallon in a little plastic container I got from the hardware store.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 04:28 PM   #38
gonioporagirl
Registered Member

That's definitely a bristleworm. Your euphyllias look really happy!

gonioporagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 11:02 AM   #39
DancingShark
Registered Member

@gonioporagirl
Yeah all corals look happy expect my LA Lakers zoas. They seem to not open all the way even tho they are low in the tank.
I have some wild goniapora that isn't looking to good either.

@frontman
I'll post a full sump pic. I googled avast level and found some info on them. I'll need more info on set up since I have never had a ATO.

Unread 08/31/2018, 07:02 PM   #40
DancingShark
Registered Member

Quick update.
I went and purchased a ice cap ato. I could not be happier with it. Been in use for 3 months.

Tank shot. Lots have changed in 6 months. Used a filter to cut blues and highlight frags. Not very good at this pictures under blue thing.

Unread 09/05/2018, 10:28 AM   #41
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey guys. I did not get any response but here goes let me keep this short.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is what my tank looks like today. Still have a lot of work to do.
The leds do a good job of keeping the corals happy. Even the sps I purchased a month ago. Got a kole, yellow and blue tang. In QT yellow tried too kill the blue tang.

Seperated them into buckets and when dropped into the tank the blue tang hide in between rocks and the yellow and kole when at it. The yellow tang got a azzwoping. I really thought he was going to kill him. But the next day they were all swimming together like actually schooling. Anywhere the kole tang went they went. And that is how it's been ever since and with luck it will stay like that.

I bought about twenty pounds of pukani rock for the sump to help with filtration. Also set up a skimmer in the sump as well.
More corals and maybe rock in the dt to come. Money doesn't grow on reefs you know.
I am building a new canopy to house those same lights of rmy 90 gal.. will be getting 2 of those

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2018, 04:12 PM   #42
DancingShark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyrawg View Post
I am building a new canopy to house those same lights of rmy 90 gal.. will be getting 2 of those
I am in also in the process of building one. Wife was complaining about the light bothering her eyes when she was looking at the tank.
I have the skeleton build but still haven't figured out how to finish the out side parts.

Make sure of setting them the proper heights of the water.

Unread 09/05/2018, 04:19 PM   #43
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

ya..i read that you want to be minimum 10" above the water line which is why im building a new canopy..I think i will end up being around 11" away.
Quote:
I am in also in the process of building one. Wife was complaining about the light bothering her eyes when she was looking at the tank.
I have the skeleton build but still haven't figured out how to finish the out side parts.

Make sure of setting them the proper heights of the water.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2018, 02:03 PM   #44
tjm9331
Registered Member

Quote:
Quick update.
I went and purchased a ice cap ato. I could not be happier with it. Been in use for 3 months.

Tank shot. Lots have changed in 6 months. Used a filter to cut blues and highlight frags. Not very good at this pictures under blue thing.

Looks amazing, great job!

I have my 125 in my garage, unfortunately that project was put on hold until at least next year but I can only hope and pray that mine comes out looking as good as yours.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 07:25 PM   #45
DancingShark
Registered Member

Thanks tjm.

I picked up 3 kessils from a fellow reefer here on the RC.
Just testing them. Don't know what to do with them right now.

https://youtu.be/UOxYo1-tBS8

I think it's time to just let the corals grow out.

Unread 04/16/2020, 06:17 PM   #46
DancingShark
Registered Member

Tank is doing good. Recovered from dinoflagellates after changing half of sand bed and having my nutrients plummet. Mostly acros now.

Last edited by DancingShark; 04/16/2020 at 06:23 PM.
Unread 04/23/2020, 02:16 PM   #47
Sk8r
RC Mod

Nice pix. Is photobucket now offering freebie accounts again?

The only change I'd make is bringing alk up to 8.3. Alk, mg, and cal work together to keep calcium available to your corals, and if set at a balance of 8.3 Alk, 12-1340 mg, and 420 cal can 'lock' to hold your alk up as long as your Mg stays above 1200. I don't have a doser. My usual is Mrs. Wages Pickling lime in the topoff water, which is the calcium, and that can hold steady for a whole month or more. When the weekly water test shows alk starting to drop, that's your first signal your mg is probably low, too. Fix those, continue with the Mrs. Wages, (which can be massively overdosed into your topoff bucket, to handle a couple of weeks' vacation) and you're golden.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2020, 12:48 AM   #48
DancingShark
Registered Member

Thanks. They are cell pics. Not sure about photobucket. Mine has always worked even after they started to charge or whatever it was they did.

I keep my alk at around 8.5 now adays. I stopped dosing pickle water from a 1 gallon and do it on 30 gallon brute auto top off. Like you said. I test alk every 2 days and manually dose randy's alk recipe 1 to adjust if need be. Usually I have to dose 4oz of that to get my numbers back up.

Now if I can just keep my hands out in this lock down it would be nice. Iam developing major ocd with this tank. Can't even stand seeing uneven sand. Recently moved some rocks around and thinking about it again.

Unread 04/26/2020, 12:56 AM   #49
DancingShark
Registered Member

On another note. My 60g

My small hordering of euphyllias
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

This one gets no water changes. Just top offs with Ms. Wages