profanity removed, aquariums,saltwater,fish,corals,discussion,message board,aquarium lighting,reefs,reef aquarium,marine,LPS corals,SPS corals,soft corals,large polyped stony,small polyped stony,blenny,damsels,clownfish,mandarinfish,goby,tangs,gorgonians,colt corals,acropora,leather,brain,aquarium filtration, berlin method, live sand, live rock, fluorescent lighting, metal halide lighting,VHO lighting,kalkwasser,top-off systems,protein skimmers,sumps,powerheads,wavemakers,Pinpoint monitors,PH monitors,salinity meters,bubble,galaxy,clams,hermit crabs, snails,shrimp,trumpet,scooter blenny,feather duster,worms,bristleworms,algae,calcium,supplements,aquarium supplements,iodine,fish food,reef aquariums,reefkeeping,saltwater aquariums,MH lighting,Lobophyllia,Wellsophyllia,Trachyphyllia,favia,Euphyllia,Plerogyra,Galaxea,Fungia,Caulastrea,Turbinaria,Seriatopora,Porites,Sarcophyton,Sinularia,Cladiella,Dendronephthya,Nepthea,Capnella,Zooanthus,Clavularia,Parazoanthus,Erythropodium,Pseudopterogorgia,Discosomoa,anemone,coral reef,marine fish,saltwater fish,reef tank,underwater photography" /> profanity removed Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment" /> EcoTech <font size="1" color="#0000FF">profanity removed</font> - Page 4 - Reef Central Online Community
Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2017, 10:08 PM   #76
sonoma2nv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
You're supposed to use the cord to support it, at least use it for a safety in case you're like me and knock running dry sides into the sump...
Thats for the Dry side.The wet side is whats broken.

sonoma2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 06:56 AM   #77
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma2nv View Post
Thats for the Dry side.The wet side is whats broken.
Right, but if you are not properly supporting the dry side as *clearly indicated by Ecotech*, then you are putting excess strain on the magnetic coupling which can cause irregularities in how the wet side spins, thus causing problems.

The magnetic force between the two pieces is meant to hold the wet side in place and facilitate its rotation, NOT to support the weight of the entire device. You are supposed to use the included zip tie posts and zip ties to pin the cord down ~2" above the dry side tightly. Not to mention this also prevents the dry side from smashing on the floor if the coupling is ever lost. For that reason alone, people are insane for ignoring Ecotech's instructions.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 07:27 AM   #78
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefinder View Post
-- snip---
Do I believe EcoTech should have reached out to me because of this thread? Yes, If it was my company you can bet your over priced coral I would have by now.
You would have more luck if you posted it in the EcoTech sponsor forum, not the general equipment forum.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 06:52 PM   #79
nikon187
Registered Member

8 yrs and have never used the cord holder and zero issue with decoupling or falling off. if you are using the proper spacer i cant see it falling off. ( 4 vortechs )

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2017, 10:07 PM   #80
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon187 View Post
8 yrs and have never used the cord holder and zero issue with decoupling or falling off. if you are using the proper spacer i cant see it falling off. ( 4 vortechs )
I had the wet side fall off because it was badly shaking from a defect. The dry side was OK because it was properly attached. It can happen.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 01:11 PM   #81
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon187 View Post
Yeah well there are smokers that live to 100 too . Anecdotes are anecdotes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 08:51 AM   #82
jobu28
Registered Member

Bottom line ecotech customer service sucks. And Chris Fernandes is the biggest ^#^% of a customer service rep.

jobu28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 07:03 PM   #83
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobu28 View Post
Bottom line ecotech customer service sucks. And Chris Fernandes is the biggest ^#^% of a customer service rep.
I have not had your experience. There is no bottom line based off your opinion. Many of us have had years of excellent support from them.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 02:16 PM   #84
Joe0813
Registered Member

So you're mad because they can't sell you a part that is permanently attached?

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote