Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2019, 11:54 AM   #1
BonesCJ
Registered Member

what CAN you do if you do not have a a QT system?

Been wondering, for folks who do not have a QT system, besides the usual drip acclimating and such is there anything you can do during that time to at least do what you can to minimize disease spread? I realize parasites have to be treated via QT.

I have seen folks mention a FW dip for fish also.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon Green Garden O Macros
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2019, 11:57 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If there was a viable tried/true alternative do you think people would still wait 30+ days in a QT...
Any viable alternative would render QT obsolete..

I buy from sources I trust and take my chances so no QT... No drip.. No acclimations even.. Float the bag for 10-15 minutes and into the tank it goes.. 15+ years without issue (knock on wood)

Unread 02/14/2019, 01:52 PM   #3
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
If there was a viable tried/true alternative do you think people would still wait 30+ days in a QT...

I buy from sources I trust and take my chances so no QT... No drip.. No acclimations even.. Float the bag for 10-15 minutes and into the tank it goes.. 15+ years without issue (knock on wood)
If you are buying from a vendor which ships or sells at 1.025 and you keep your tank at the same, this is correct method (barring obvious caveats about the risks of no quarantine, which Mcgyvr is aware of) . However, some vendors sell at much lower salinity (1.018 ish), to suppress (not usually low enough to cure) ich. Mcgyvr, I suspect you would agree that in this case some sort of salinity acclimation is required?

Just didn't want a novice to the hobby to be salinity shocking fish by .006 or more because they misunderstood your message.

Unread 02/14/2019, 11:01 PM   #4
billwill
Registered Member

Quote:

What he said, and I’ve been doing it that way for 22+ years. I won’t lie, I’ve lost fish. I’m not much of a believer in a qt tank because I think it causes even more stress, especially when discussing tangs and wrasses, the only fish I seem to want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 02:23 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

You can do TTM (Tank Transfer Method) using 5 gallon pails. I do that and treat wit Prazi Pro on the 2nd and 4th transfers. TTM takes 12 days

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 02:25 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:

Took me nine years, but it happened. Only bought from LA and the LFS, well trusted and respected in the State. Lost nine of 10 fish

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 02/15/2019, 02:46 PM   #7
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
You can do TTM (Tank Transfer Method) using 5 gallon pails. I do that and treat wit Prazi Pro on the 2nd and 4th transfers. TTM takes 12 days
This is what I've done this time around. I use a couple rubbermaids instead of buckets.

It takes:
2 containers
2 heaters
1 air pump with stones and airline that are thrown away or bleached
A few pvc fittings

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 02:55 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAndPhysics View Post
If you are buying from a vendor which ships or sells at 1.025 and you keep your tank at the same, this is correct method (barring obvious caveats about the risks of no quarantine, which Mcgyvr is aware of) . However, some vendors sell at much lower salinity (1.018 ish), to suppress (not usually low enough to cure) ich. Mcgyvr, I suspect you would agree that in this case some sort of salinity acclimation is required?

Just didn't want a novice to the hobby to be salinity shocking fish by .006 or more because they misunderstood your message.
I would err.. umm... nope..
But I'm me and a straight up rebel without a cause..

Kids.. don't try this at home...

Unread 02/15/2019, 08:08 PM   #9
FishAndPhysics
Registered Member

Just more disclaimers, while TTM is a good treatment for ich, it is not a cure all. IMO, nothing beats just letting fish sit in a tank for a month or so and looking at them. TTM can be a solution in search of a problem otherwise.

Unread 02/16/2019, 09:24 AM   #10
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Yeah, there is unfortunately no substitute for quarantine. This is especially true when buying shipped fish where their livestock is concentrated and there's a very high turnover in their tanks.

A comment for folks buying shipped fish that arrive after 24 hours in the bag and at a considerably lower salinity than your tanks. Generally speaking, ammonia will build up in the bag over the shipping interval, and the pH will also go down from the CO2 respired from the fish in the bag. Because ammonia is considerably less toxic in its ionized form (NH4+ vs. NH3) at the lower pH in the bag, and because the pH will rapidly rise as CO2 is off-gassed when the bag is opened, it's not a good idea to open the bag and put the fish+bag water in a bucket for drip acclimation.

You're far better off putting a pinhole in the bag to get a small water sample to let you measure the salinity, taping that pinhole, adjusting some saltwater for the bucket/quarantine tank to the salinity in the bag, then opening the bag and transferring just the fish (with no bag water) into the QT/bucket.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 11:55 AM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

Main thing, aside, is get your water quality spot on, maintain stable for several weeks before getting fish, then take your chance, buy, put the fish in and do not plan to add any other fish for the rest of time.

If you do draw the short straw and have a problem, there are 'waiting protocols' such as 72 days from the last appearance of ich on anybody that can let you re-stock, but there is a remote chance that 72 days may be too soon. Ich may not be fatal, if you have a very healthy water system and healthy fish. Sometimes they can survive it and never have it again. But qt if you possibly, possibly can.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 02:51 PM   #12
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Just more disclaimers, while TTM is a good treatment for ich, it is not a cure all. IMO, nothing beats just letting fish sit in a tank for a month or so and looking at them. TTM can be a solution in search of a problem otherwise.
There are 3 cures for Ick. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1990809

Unread 02/16/2019, 06:08 PM   #13
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
No matter how long I've been doing this (first reef tank in 1990), I can always learn something new. Never occurred to me to do the TT in 5-gallon buckets, I always used 10g tanks or used the hypo method on a 20g with live rock for particularly skittish fish that absolutely require a substrate, such as certain wrasses.

While I'd be skeptical of 5 gallon buckets for large fish, almost all of the ones I purchase are in the 1" to 2" range, and this is a great idea - way, way easier to do TT in an unbreakable containers with a handle than a glass tank, and the buckets would be vastly easier to sanitize after the subjects are transferred to the next one.

Thanks Gary!

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2019, 09:49 PM   #14
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
True....nothing better than QT....

Last edited by Uncle99; 02/16/2019 at 10:20 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 01:39 PM   #15
billdogg
Registered Member

Although I have a 20L that I use as a observation tank, I've been using the 5g bucket TT /prazipro method for years. Once the fish have gone through TTM, they spend another couple weeks minimum in the OT. My only exception to that was my Blue Star Leopard wrasses. After TT they went straight into the DT.

I use the OT to bring the salinity up to where it needs to be as well.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote