Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2017, 11:57 PM   #1
bshow24
Registered Member

Struggling getting entire coral in focus

I'm looking for some advice here. I've been trying to take pictures of my coral growth lately, but I'm having trouble getting the entire coral in focus. Usually it's either the bottom or the top, but never both.

I use Aperture Priority with my ISO at 100, F stop usually at 8 or 9, and shutter speed adjusts based on lighting. I have a Tamron 90mm Macro Lens and usually have to set it to auto focus due to the fact that I am using an avast porthole.

I'm relatively new to taking pictures that require a knowledge and skill to get them right, so all the help I could get would be awesome.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

Raise the aperture number, (14 or 16), or back the camera up some. Both will give you a larger "Depth of Field". The larger apt number will also increase the shutter speed.

Unread 02/03/2017, 10:11 AM   #3
bshow24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Raise the aperture number, (14 or 16), or back the camera up some. Both will give you a larger "Depth of Field". The larger apt number will also increase the shutter speed.
Thank you. I'll give this a try tonight.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 07:28 PM   #4
IPT
Registered Member

Jesse makes some excellent suggestions. Also make sure your lens is perpendicular to the subject and lastly keep in mind the inherent limits of DOF. A lot of the images you see that are macro with huge DOF are focus stacked (made of multiple images with different planes of focus and merged into one photo).

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2017, 09:05 PM   #5
Higher Thinking
Registered Member

I am not a photo expert at all, but our recent club meeting had a speaker giving tutorials on photography. I remember a specific point he made that the very best macros will only focus on one area to the sacrifice of the rest of the piece. He said it's possible to get the whole coral in a photo, but you end up sacrificing other qualities of your macro shot. Basically, get a flawless part of the coral with the rest blurry, or get a so so picture of the whole coral.

Obviously there is much more to it than that, but that was the point of what he was discussing.

Higher Thinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 02:07 PM   #6
DrChop
Registered Member

What body do you shoot with? I have that lens on my Canon 70d and it works well, very well actually..But being Macro, it's very difficult to get wide coverage just as that's the nature of the lens. If you have a Canon, you might try a wider lens or even a zoom. Also, if your tank is the JBJ 28g Nano, your only chance for sharp, in focus solid pix is from the sides. I have that tank as well and you can't get much at all shooting from the front because of the bent glass. There are a lot of variables in shooting these things, but using a tripod is going to be really beneficial as well.

DrChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 03:53 PM   #7
Tinpanva
Registered Member

There's always photo stacking, but that's ninja level.

Tinpanva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 10:59 AM   #8
DrChop
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinpanva View Post
There's always photo stacking, but that's ninja level.
or just bridge/photoshop automation

DrChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 01:04 PM   #9
zeeGGee
Registered Member

Struggling getting entire coral in focus

I'm not an expert neither but these are my settings: ISO 400, 1/100, f/2.8 Tokina 100ATX Pro with Nikon D7200. I take photos from the front of the aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by zeeGGee; 03/03/2017 at 01:10 PM.
zeeGGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 07:38 PM   #10
rollopac187
Registered Member

Those are impressive pics. It amazes me the details a good picture can show. The texture on the Tang(?) is awesome

rollopac187 is offline   Reply With Quote